random news rant, majority of Illinois grade school kids suck at math and English

CigarBoxJimmy

The downfall of the American education system began with an executive order signed by JFK that legalized unionization of civil servants including teachers.

And then continued by No Child Left Behind. Some kids just can't pass so they lowered the bar. That and the expansion of definitions to assign kids to special ed or special needs so that they don't count on the standardized test scores. If you're a dreamer, an artist, or mechanical learner, in my opinion, the kid is pretty much screwed.

I just went to my kid's school for a grade standards overview. The grades are the same but the methods to learning have vastly changed. Some good, some I disagree.

lakersfan1

No Child Left Behind is the biggest crock of shit ever passed. I don't think my kid could find India on a map and she's going to college next year. Is it her fault? Let's see. World history once from Kindergarten to 12th grade. Every other year has been American history. We've turned the schools into the Hitler Youth. Math. English. Love America. Math. English. Love America.

It's no wonder Americans don't believe in global warming, because they dont need to take science classes to pass their tests or graduate.

Roy Latte

I cant imagine these Illinois tests are much different than California's.

But this is really sad --- those standard test's are so basic, so easy, that basically everyone is supposed to pass.
let alone 30%

=[

Pusher

Don't forget the Common Core curriculum when we rant about education. When they went to these standards and away from traditional math the scores started to slide. Little known fact most educators despise the Common Core Curriculum just as much as the parents, but have to teach it.

It actually goes further back then JFK and is more directly tied to UNESCO starting in the late 40's. The sad part today is that there is not a great emphasis on the traditional basics taught to many of us when we went through the system. For instance cursive writing is rarely taught in the schools anylonger with the common excuse that it will not be needed with modern technology. I say bunk to that since it was more of a discipline standard more so than the written art form that it is. When we were taught to write cursive it involved extensive practice and discipline in the primary years, with repetition of the standard to truly become proficient.

In many ways modern technology has dumbed down the generations currently and recently in the system. It in many ways has made things easier, but at the same time made students much more lazy.

There is a whole plethora of reasons why our current system is quite frankly failing no matter how much more money we pour into it. A few of the primary reasons are the fact that it is not localized at the state and local level, but dictated at the federal level in an all encompassing standard. Your tax dollars have to go through a whole gambit of hands before it actually comes back to the local level. School choice and the availability to let the parents use a portion of the money allocated for their child to either choose a public, private or other choice for education should be allowed. Why should a parent get penalized for making the choice to send their child to a school of their choice by not allowing a portion of their tax dollars to be used at an educational institution of their choice?

Social emotional education and mandatory blocks of time are another factor. There are only so many hours in a day that the educator can allocate toward the core subjects when you add in all the specials the child gets pulled from during the day.

The current grading system in many districts are a mess as well. Due to the fact that that the traditional A, B, C, D, & F and percentage system somehow today according to districts may lead to emotional problems for Johnny and Suzi it leaves many parents truly unaware of where their child actually sits grade wise. When a report card is 5 pages long and it only shows something like progressing or meeting standards it is not truly a reflection of where the child actually is. I see this each and every grading period and how it can be manipulated.

We need to stop teaching to the "test" as well and get back to the mechanics and core. That was the traditional way many of us were taught and for most we were able to retain it better than the way it is taught today.

Sorry for the rant.

No Child Left Behind is the biggest crock of shit ever passed. I don't think my kid could find India on a map and she's going to college next year. Is it her fault? Let's see. World history once from Kindergarten to 12th grade. Every other year has been American history. We've turned the schools into the Hitler Youth. Math. English. Love America. Math. English. Love America.

It's no wonder Americans don't believe in global warming, because they dont need to take science classes to pass their tests or graduate.
They never factor in history when it comes to that Lakersfan... for instance how many are taught that here in this region we had huge climate cycle changes many times from ice age to mass warming long before the Industrial Age.. most do not know how moraines were formed or even the Great Lakes for that matter.

Did you know we had a mini ice age in the 1800's where it snowed in July in the Midwest and crops failed as a result?

Or how many people truly understand why we call the "Dark Ages" the Dark Ages for that matter. Volcanic and solar activity plays a huge part in the overall scientific aspects of climate throughout the history of the planet. More so than human activity for that matter. Sure we should be great stewards of our environment without a doubt, but to blame human activity as the primary driver in regards to climate is not truly factoring in the bigger picture of things.

I know there are those who would like to capitalize off of the whole climate thing such as Al Gore and so many others. But in many aspects he is one of the biggest hypocrites when it comes to this subject while taking in mass amounts of personal wealth. If he was so concerned about the rising seas why does he have a multi million dollar home situated on ocean front property and flying on private jets all over the place?

driving312

Love that a mom/dad can so easily wash their hands of any responsibility that their kid is stupid...I had called them "parents" but that is the wrong word!

Apples don't fall far from trees...is that how the saying goes? :biggrin:
Chat with an elementary school teacher about their stories of "parents"...it will blow your mind.

Last edited:

bpm45

I support the public funding of education, but I don't support the laundering of those funds through a labor cartel.

qiaoxiaopang

80sDude

I was in line at post office a few days ago. Kid around 18 was filling out a passport papers. He turned to someone and asked " How do you spell Canada "

My jaw dropped