Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Racist? Don't think so

1K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  homelesswarlock 
#1 ·
Ok, story time..

It's 1 AM, Get a ping. Nathan at 1462 Shane Court. (address is important to the story. Trust me). It's close, couple of miles away, accepted. A new housing tract, first phase done and sold, second section being built. Find the house, lights off, no car in driveway, but a party is going on somewhere in this Cul-de-Sac by the number of cars....

I text the "arrived" message, with the address.

It's 2 minutes, no response or movement on the street. I wait...

People start leaving the party, 2-3 houses away. They are all getting into cars, no one looking for UBER.

At 5 minutes, I cancel. $3.75
2 blocks away, the ping hits again. I accept, turn around and immediately text, "please verify the address". No answer. At 4:30 timer, a notice appears, "Please tap timer for information" or something like that.

"You arrived 2 minutes earlier than expected. Please wait. You will be paid for extra time". I've never seen this before, and I know dam well it wasn't a scheduled trip. But, ok.

At 6 minutes, the " holding up my green light" message. I reply, "you aren't on the same street, please verify address" . No answer

at 8 minutes, phone call from pax. "We will be right out"

What's your address, this house looks vacant?

"no, we're home"

are you at 1462 Shane?

a woman's voice in the background...1470.

ok, two houses behind me, where the party was. I turn around and hit that house. Cars are mostly gone, still waiting.

at 10 minutes (second timer, mind you! Total of 15 minutes of wait time), still no pax! Still the notice, I was early, wait and I'll be paid. Screw this, it's bar closing time! I cancel a second time. $3.75

as I drive around the corner, the ping hits. I look really close. No schedule notice, just an ordinary ping. I ignore it and move to the bar area.

KICKER: Today I have an Robo-Message from UBER. Please Keep in mind our TOS. Do not decline of cancel rides for reasons of neighborhood or race. Yeah, the man on the phone did have that ghetto style language, but c'mon, man!

See less See more
#8 ·
Ok, story time..

It's 1 AM, Get a ping. Nathan at 1462 Shane Court. (address is important to the story. Trust me). It's close, couple of miles away, accepted. A new housing tract, first phase done and sold, second section being built. Find the house, lights off, no car in driveway, but a party is going on somewhere in this Cul-de-Sac by the number of cars....

People start leaving the party, 2-3 houses away. They are all getting into cars, no one looking for UBER.

2 blocks away, the ping hits again. I accept, turn around and immediately text, "please verify the address". No answer. At 4:30 timer, a notice appears, "Please tap timer for information" or something like that.

"You arrived 2 minutes earlier than expected. Please wait. You will be paid for extra time". I've never seen this before, and I know dam well it wasn't a scheduled trip. But, ok.

At 6 minutes, the " holding up my green light" message. I reply, "you aren't on the same street, please verify address" . No answer

"no, we're home"

are you at 1462 Shane?

ok, two houses behind me, where the party was. I turn around and hit that house. Cars are mostly gone, still waiting.

at 10 minutes (second timer, mind you! Total of 15 minutes of wait time), still no pax! Still the notice, I was early, wait and I'll be paid. Screw this, it's bar closing time! I cancel a second time. $3.75

as I drive around the corner, the ping hits. I look really close. No schedule notice, just an ordinary ping. I ignore it and move to the bar area.

KICKER: Today I have an Robo-Message from UBER. Please Keep in mind our TOS. Do not decline of cancel rides for reasons of neighborhood or race. Yeah, the man on the phone did have that ghetto style language, but c'mon, man!
the age old saying goes:

If you have to say 'not racist' you definitely racist 😏

#11 ·
Last time I got reported for not taking someone because they were black it was right after Tamira and picking up Jamal. Then when I got the phone call from the call center about the complaint I had William Washington. The name he used in the taxi app was Double Dubbya.

Reactions: Uber's Guber
#17 ·
The whole racism thing is out of hand. People are just pointing fingers willy nilly nowadays. It's like some scavenger hunt, with accusers jumping up and down with excitement when they think they've uncovered something that backs it up. A very odd hobby for sure. I don't even pretend to understand it.

I would've cancelled the first time and just booked it out of that neighborhood pronto. I definitely try to put as much distance between me and problematic/no show pax as I can.

#18 ·
The whole racism thing is out of hand. People are just pointing fingers willy nilly nowadays. It's like some scavenger hunt, with accusers jumping up and down with excitement when they think they've uncovered something that backs it up.
Interesting thought. I'm curious, what is your opinion about the post, including the comment, immediately above yours in this topic.

#19 ·
Accepting the ping a second time has a 1 star coming with completing the trip. So move along, nothing to see here.

#23 ·
Ok, story time..

"no, we're home"

are you at 1462 Shane?

You'll prob get deactivated if you do this again. Moral of this story is: never go back for "seconds" after a cancellation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.