Quit or Stay?

DB2448

Don't get me wrong. Every passenger has been extremely polite, even when I've made mistakes as a newbie. I love people and I love driving, but I honestly feel like this is a joke. Out of five rides I've done, I only had one that was $20 for an hour. Which is great, by the way. If only there were more rides like that.

I have my five stars after five trips since starting last week. But after calculating gas cost, it only feels like I'm making about $9, which is less than I make on my part time job.

Should I quit? Or try Lyft and then come back to Uber depending on what I think? Has anyone else done both? I just really need to save money since my parents bought me a new car and need to pay them back. Uber seemed like a good bet, but after wear and tear, plus gas, I'm not sure anymore. Thoughts?

itsablackmarket

Don't get me wrong. Every passenger has been extremely polite, even when I've made mistakes as a newbie. I love people and I love driving, but I honestly feel like this is a joke. Out of five rides I've done, I only had one that was $20 for an hour. Which is great, by the way. If only there were more rides like that.

I have my five stars after five trips since starting last week. But after calculating gas cost, it only feels like I'm making about $9, which is less than I make on my part time job.

Should I quit? Or try Lyft and then come back to Uber depending on what I think? Has anyone else done both? I just really need to save money since my parents bought me a new car and need to pay them back. Uber seemed like a good bet, but after wear and tear, plus gas, I'm not sure anymore. Thoughts?
that's an accurate analysis.

Bennela

I drive for both Lyft and Uber and also mentor for new Lyft drivers. I suggest you sign on for Lyft as well (and PM me if you want to use my driver referral code for up to $750 sign up bonus for each of us, depending on what city you are in). Work both apps and you definitely maximize your earnings. I feel Lyft rides are better for many reasons, but you'll get more Uber pings, esp. in the suburbs.

Last edited:

turbovator

that's an accurate analysis.

Your gut feeling about the Uber driving scam is correct. If you need validation of it go to the complaint & quit forums found in this site and read them. Experience is the best teacher so you will get first hand advice from the "been there done that crowd " not advice based on hearsay or misinformation.

JimS

You will discover that the three most prolific types of people here encouraging others to quit are 1) Uber drivers whose market is saturated so they want you off the road or 2) Taxi drivers who want you off the road because they spent a lot of money to get to where they are at and are pissed at Uber/Lyft or 3) Former Uber or Taxi drivers who couldn't get it to work for them.

Fact is, this ain't for everyone. Many businesses fail in the first year. Start out part time with as little expense as possible. Be smart. Don't drive a $40,000 car for Uber X. Use the cheapest qualifying vehicle and make it as nice as possible.

itsablackmarket

You will discover that the three most prolific types of people here encouraging others to quit are 1) Uber drivers whose market is saturated so they want you off the road or 2) Taxi drivers who want you off the road because they spent a lot of money to get to where they are at and are pissed at Uber/Lyft or 3) Former Uber or Taxi drivers who couldn't get it to work for them.

Fact is, this ain't for everyone. Many businesses fail in the first year. Start out part time with as little expense as possible. Be smart. Don't drive a $40,000 car for Uber X. Use the cheapest qualifying vehicle and make it as nice as possible.
lol @ "don't drive a $40,000 car"... how about don't drive anything over $8,000? Even then it's hard to make a profit.

poopy

My forum fun is 98% using my phone... the only time I don't know the member's location, is if they left it blank or entered a nonlocation.
:rolleyes:

Richard G.

This might help you make a decision. Lyft advantage over Uber is their relationship with their drivers and I am always happy to take Lyft requests over Uber. It takes me less to make more with Lyft, plain and simple. Anyone that works for Lyft would agree. They pay you 10% bonus if you work 30+ hrs/week and 20% if you work 50+ hrs/week! An in addition Lyft has a TIP feature, so you can make more money. And they don't touch your tips!

As of this week (part time)...

Uber rides 36
Total Earned $262.37
Uber Earnings.png

Lyft rides 31
Total Earned $423.61
Lyft Earnings.png

Jvc21

If only Lyft was more popular in other markets..

My Uber/Lyft ride ratio is 5:1. But I always take the Lyft ride over anything else.

BurgerTiime

Damn, that's messed up. Wait, what about the guy that hit him? That guy had no insurance either? He should be at the top of that list to be sued.
It's like no fault state. They both had insurance so your own insurance covers the accident. His insurance dropped him for using his vehicle in a commercial sense. That violates your policy. Eveyone needs to call their insurance company. Ask if you have permission to do UberX or Lyft. Most do not. That's why I quit. Uber lied to me!!! That can get you in serious trouble legally!

poopy

Jvc21,

Richard is on a crusade to take from Uber and give to Lyft... one driver at a time!

I'm serious Richard, you're all writing and no reading.
I do have meds, and when reality hits, you'll need 'em.

Now put down the keyboard and start reading, or NO meds for you!
:mad:

UberBlackDriverLA

NEVER NEVER NEVER drive a new car for UberX. A typical full time UberX driver in your market makes $6 to $8 per hour net before self employment tax. If your car is new it will be on the low end of that number if not lower. If your car is "new to you", fuel efficient, low maintenance, keep dead miles to a minimum and you concentrate on driving surge and/or peak times, then you can achieve $12 per hour or a little more. But those hours are very few per week.