Quick, Simple, Easy & Secure Passwords

Maven

If you're reading this then you are already ahead :smiles: Most people are terrible at boring password security. Yet, near 100% certainty that at least one of the organizations you deal with is hacked, revealing your password every 3-12 months, compromising financial and highly personal information.

Quick, Simple & Easy Passwords that are simple to remember yet hard for hackers to break. Just use a Passphrase to easily remember secure passwords. Choose something that computerized crackers will miss. Take a sentence or phrase and turn it into a password. Something like "This little piggy went to market" might become "tlpWENT2m". That nine-character password won't be in anyone's dictionary. Of course, don't use this one, because I've written about it. Choose your own sentence -- something personal.

Examples
  • WIw7,mstmsritt... = When I was seven, my sister threw my stuffed rabbit in the toilet.
  • Wow...doestcst = Wow, does that couch smell terrible.
  • [email protected]~faaa! = Long time ago in a galaxy not far away at all.
  • uTVM,TPw55:utvm,tpwstillsecure = Until this very moment, these passwords were still secure.
You get the idea. Combine a personally memorable sentence with some personally memorable tricks to modify that sentence into a password to create a lengthy password

Avoid (Guess which I'm guilty of)
  • Dictionary Words.
  • Any word or number related to you or any relative or any proper name.
  • Any sample password seen in an article like foobar, xyzzy or querty.
  • Using identical password on multiple web sites.
  • Most of all, rarely if ever changing your passwords.
  • It's pathetic how many people use minor variations of "password", "football" or "12345678"
Also consider a password manager & generator with fingerprint access.
Impossible to forget your finger or easier to remember one secure Passphrase then multiple ones.
  • LastPass Password Manager
  • Keeper Free Password Manager
New urgency increasing the reasons for changing your passwords. Cloudflare, used by Uber and other popular web sites, reveals a major security bug that's been potentially exposing passwords for months.

Last edited:

Bean

Alternatively you can use a manager such as KeePass. It stores all of your passwords in an encrypted database. It also has password generators which can comply with whatever requirements each site uses (Needs upper and lower case with a symbol? Ok). The passwords can be 50 characters long if you'd like. I honestly do not know any of my passwords by memory and they are all different for every login. KeePass runs on my computer and my phone (It's available for pretty much every OS). It's an extra step to unlock the database when I need it but I never have to fear for my bank account if some other site has a breach or whatever.

lbsilvina

Excelente los consejos que nos dan acerca de las contraseñas, con el objeto de robo de claves de acceso que tiene que cuidar mucho, se necesita más tiempo, pero nos da mayor seguridad a tener una contraseña que es complicado de descifrar.

Maven

Excelente los consejos que nos dan acerca de las contraseñas, con el objeto de robo de claves de acceso que tiene que cuidar mucho, se necesita más tiempo, pero nos da mayor seguridad a tener una contraseña que es complicado de descifrar.
For those not fluent in Spanish, my translation is

Excellent tips that give us about passwords, in order to secure passwords that have to take care of much, it takes more time, but gives us greater security to have a password that is complicated to decipher.​

If you have a better translation then please reply with it.

Password23

I think these are nice tips, but it is always hard to keep a tough password and then remember it. Specially when you have multiple accounts. I have seen couple of sites that let us design secure online passwords.

Maven

I think these are nice tips, but it is always hard to keep a tough password and then remember it. Specially when you have multiple accounts. I have seen couple of sites that let us design secure online passwords.
I agree that remembering one tough password is difficult, but possible. Remembering multiple tough passwords is not, except for those with exceptional memories (not me). There are 2 classes of solutions:
  • BAD: Weak, but easy to remember passwords used on multiple web sites and infrequently changed.
  • GOOD: Use a Password Manager & Generator to frequently update strong, hard to crack passwords, unique for each web site.