Questions and more questions.

Justin K

So drove for uber for the first time yesterday. Planned to drive for 8 hours in the evening but only did about 2. Main reason was me waiting on a response from uber about their trade dress being displayed.

So I had a few things to ask to anyone willing to answer. Is there any conflict to doing both uber and lyft? I ask because I live on the northern side of Riverside just before San bernardino and still trying to find idea places to wait on fares.

Second question is what insurance are you using? Does it cover both uber and lyft? Currently I am trying out metro mile but my concern is exceeding too many personal miles having to commute to the best places to wait.

Then lastly, does lyft, have a trade dress that needs to be displayed as well and is there any problem leaving them both up, whether driving lyft, Uber or you are offline?

Other then that any resources that help you figure out how the apps work would be great, since you only have like 30 seconds to accept an uber fare I haven't really figured out how you can tell if a fare is worth accepting since I was mid drive both times and couldn't really look at my phone easily.

Appreciate any help and sorry for all the questions.

Just Another Uber Drive

Welcome to the forums and to rideshare!

The trade dress requirement is identical with Uber and Lyft because these rules are set by the California Public Utilities Commission. One on the lower right windshield and one on the lower right back window.

You can do both Uber and Lyft at the same time. But don't pick up an Uber pax AND a Lyft pax at the same time. :smiles: But if you manage to pull that off it would he amazing. You will have invented Pool-Line... or Line-Pool.

You can display both trade dresses (Uber and Lyft) anywhere except LAX. And don't go to LAX without a placard authorizing you and your vehicle to access LAX. It is a huge fine. And Ontario International forbids all pick ups there period. Drop offs are allowed

You can leave your trade dress up all the time if you want too, but shortly you won't want to.

Any rideshare insurance should cover both Uber and Lyft, but check with your insurance company for the actual facts on that.

On predicting a ride's worth... this is a tough one as the answer is both yes and no. We don't see the destination until after we accept the trip so we have no way of knowing where they are going until we've committed to the trip. But you will over time learn the habits of the pax in your area. You'll know which places generate longer trips and which generates shorties. But it is always more luck than anything else. For every rule you figure out you'll find 50 exceptions... because people are both highly predictable and wildly unpredictable.

The Inland Empire Uber page is at:

http://inlandempire.ubermovement.com/information/

Here's a link to the Lyft tradedress in .pdf format:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ggyMAA&usg=AFQjCNH_4BGXCOdrudr_G1vrx-SOw63Rpg

IERide

Welcome neighbor!
I too just started.. Did 4 rides in an hour Friday.. Now been sitting here for over 2 hours with 0 pings...

Just Another Uber Drive

In case you guys don't know yet, download the rider's app so you can see the other cars around you. You don't want to be in a group of cars. In San Bernardino county you only see the five closest cars, so move the pin around to check who is where.

IERide

Yah been doing that..
On another note, after sitting online for 2.5 hours, got my first ping.. Got there and txt him and he says "I don't need a ride".. Waited 4 more min and got my $3.75..
10 minutes later got another ping.. Strange guy.. Apparently got very offended when I asked if it was ok if I opened the sun roof because although is pizza smelled good it had a very strong onion smell.. 5 minutes later he decides he wants out (near his destination) and says he's very dissatisfied with the ride because I'm an A-hole...

Just Another Uber Drive

Yah been doing that..
On another note, after sitting online for 2.5 hours, got my first ping.. Got there and txt him and he says "I don't need a ride".. Waited 4 more min and got my $3.75..
10 minutes later got another ping.. Strange guy.. Apparently got very offended when I asked if it was ok if I opened the sun roof because although is pizza smelled good it had a very strong onion smell.. 5 minutes later he decides he wants out (near his destination) and says he's very dissatisfied with the ride because I'm an A-hole...
You may want to report pizza guy to Uber just to let them know that the pax was problematic. Change his rating to a 1 and maybe say he made you feel uncomfortable. You can be kind of vague in your description. You'll get some sort of odd reply from Uber no doubt. Always try to report these pax before they report you.

A spritz of Ozium will deodorize such smells from your car pretty quickly and effectively.

You had a good day and then you got some idiots. You'll get more good pax than idiots... if that's of any comfort at the moment.

IERide

You may want to report pizza guy to Uber just to let them know that the pax was problematic.
Yup, reported him/the trip and got a canned/near useless response, but it did say "it has been noted".. I rated him a 2.. I figured he didn't yell or get violent or anything so I cut him a little slack.

Shortly after I got a ride from just a few blocks away out to the Hollywood Bowl.. 50 miles.. Now I feel the pain of dead-miles.

Just Another Uber Drive

Yup, reported him/the trip and got a canned/near useless response, but it did say "it has been noted".. I rated him a 2.. I figured he didn't yell or get violent or anything so I cut him a little slack.

Shortly after I got a ride from just a few blocks away out to the Hollywood Bowl.. 50 miles.. Now I feel the pain of dead-miles.
A 2? You're way nicer than I am.

Dead-miles are the bane of our existence. Sometimes they are unavoidable. It's good if you can work your way back but it's a whole lot easier to work your way to LA than work your way back to the IE. You can do some rides down there to earn enough to cover or at least offset your costs back if you don't mind working there.