Question

cindimams

What's up with the hate for this job?

I know it's not the "ideal" job, but I know I'm making a couple bucks. Of course I have some bad days/weeks, and all, but it's still just like any other job (for the most part). We have to take the good with the bad.

UberKilledMyMarriage

What's up with the hate for this job?

I know it's not the "ideal" job, but I know I'm making a couple bucks. Of course I have some bad days/weeks, and all, but it's still just like any other job (for the most part). We have to take the good with the bad.
Example:You were making $100000 a year at your M-F 9-5 job for 2 years,within the 3rd year your employer comes and tell you that your Salary will decrease to $45000 yearly and try to justify your Salary cut by offering you to work on the weekends and instead of coming at 9am,you can start at 5am to make up for the cuts. New Employees coming under the new rate cuts have nothing to compare it to,so thier Lifestyle does not get affected...

cindimams

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Example:You were making $100000 a year at your M-F 9-5 job for 2 years,within the 3rd year your employer comes and tell you that your Salary will decrease to $45000 yearly and try to justify your Salary cut by offering you to work on the weekends and instead of coming at 9am,you can start at 5am to make up for the cuts. New Employees coming under the new rate cuts have nothing to compare it to,so thier Lifestyle does not get affected...
Understandable. But I know myself as a fairly new driver, I'm just trying to make a couple bucks, I'm not on the road long enough to make that much money. I guess I feel bad when the vets get angry with the new drivers, and I think it's fair to say that most are enticed by the promo, and aren't going to be around long anyway. I'd like to stay, of course if I maintain a high average and don't get deactivated. I'm sorry that the vets are feeling screwed over, and I'd personally take it out on the company, and not us newbs that have just jumped on a small opportunity. Everyone is new at one point.

(Edited to add) I did lose a great job a while back due to cuts, as well as many that I know. I wouldn't be here had I not.

t.r. warrior

I don't hate the job.I love driving meeting new people,however its a cat and mouse game and as the last person said.....I have been through 3 rate cuts,the cops harass you in certain towns,and I am not sure how much I trust uber........oh one other thing.The rating system isn't fair at all.People can give you a 1 with no justification at all.From reading other posts, I believe you live in Jersey city.Its hard to make anything at .85 cents a mile without a surge.

UberKilledMyMarriage

Understandable. But I know myself as a fairly new driver, I'm just trying to make a couple bucks, I'm not on the road long enough to make that much money. I guess I feel bad when the vets get angry with the new drivers, and I think it's fair to say that most are enticed by the promo, and aren't going to be around long anyway. I'd like to stay, of course if I maintain a high average and don't get deactivated. I'm sorry that the vets are feeling screwed over, and I'd personally take it out on the company, and not us newbs that have just jumped on a small opportunity. Everyone is new at one point.

(Edited to add) I did lose a great job a while back due to cuts, as well as many that I know. I wouldn't be here had I not.
NB: All throughout your Salary decrease,the company's popularity,networth,investements& capital gains tripled...'HATE' is a word that would be used out of context but definitely understandable by some.

Last edited:

cindimams

Haha yupp....but minimum wage to decrease by 89 percent in five years
I heard UBER is now illegal in one of the states (I forgot which one), and I imagine this ride will either end, or make some much needed changes.

cindimams

That rating thing is awful. I know I'm certainly not going to kiss anyone's ass for a 5* rating. I refuse especially when these PAX have no clue what the days were, when we spent a lot of money on a taxi.

MaximusMurkimus

There are much worse jobs out there (did a summer job last year and I definitely prefer Uber over it) , but that being said the trips are getting more and more ridiculous; either terribly short or NYC journeys, and the Pax are getting more and more bold. One even asked me how can we be so sure she wouldn't get sodomized on her 1.5 mile trip. I refused to acknowledge it.

Also, Uber's love for Hudson County means no more surge there, since everyone's down there for incentives.

cindimams

There are much worse jobs out there (did a summer job last year and I definitely prefer Uber over it) , but that being said the trips are getting more and more ridiculous; either terribly short or NYC journeys, and the Pax are getting more and more bold. One even asked me how can we be so sure she wouldn't get sodomized on her 1.5 mile trip. I refused to acknowledge it.

That's what pisses me off. I know! I know! I started a "why the hate?" Thread, and here I am lol. These PAX get to whatever they please without any consequences or deactivated. I wonder if they realize how the loss of us drivers would overall affect their daily life. It's much less costly to ride with uber than say the ferry, or even if only a couple bucks more, the convenience of a nice clean ride, opposed to a packed and hot bus I imagine would be ideal for most.

In all honesty, I have a harder time as a woman. I have male PAX that do the "back seat rider" thing, and say how they've yet to encounter a woman driver (although rare, but I don't even have 50 rides under my belt). I believe I'm a great driver. I have a clean record, never once in my life had a ticket for any moving violation, plus my awesome reflexes. I'm knocking on wood as I type this, because I know nothing can be taken for granted. So @@@@@@@ PAX sets me off with his "Oh my God" and "you were supposed to turn left/right" "don't go through that red light" DUH! Really!? Well that's when I had to state the fact that "you are making me very nervous, please just let me drive, or let me follow my navigation unless you care to tell me which route you prefer, in that case- let me know. Thanks" yeah that happened, and it's not like I can defend myself to UBER for that lousy rating from that 1 person that brought me down to a 4.1 from a 4.8. I'll get a dumb generic message, and I'll still have that 4.1 :-(

For the most part, I've had some pretty awesome passengers, and it's damn unfortunate when we have to take a blow over one bad apple without any means of rights.

cindimams

UB

UBER is illegal in NJ unless you have livery plates.
I've heard you say this before, but if that's so, how come so many are doing it here without any problems? I mean, I don't think drivers are hanging around airports or anything. What has happened to a driver that was caught driving? Has anyone ever been in trouble?

Just want to know the details of being illegal, and not just "it's illegal".

PorkRollUberAndCheese

I've heard you say this before, but if that's so, how come so many are doing it here without any problems? I mean, I don't think drivers are hanging around airports or anything. What has happened to a driver that was caught driving? Has anyone ever been in trouble?

It's not regulated in NJ. That's the problem. The technology evolved past the legislation. With Christie trying to be in Trump's cabinet, not a lot is getting done to pass laws.

For the most part, as long as your drive safely, and pickup and drop off passengers safely, cops look the other way except for some specific areas in NJ, such as Princeton, Manasquan, Newsrk, etc.

MaximusMurkimus

Honestly Cindi, the best thing you can do is just ignore the PAX if they're trying to be a backseat driver. While I'm no stranger to traffic tickets (2 in the past year), in 700 trips none of them have come from driving with Uber. Oblige them if they have a preferred route (even if it's not the quickest way there, their loss) but otherwise just ignore all their traffic ramblings. I've had pax who have glared at the road ahead next to my shoulder (which really gets me annoyed) and don't get too upset with the ratings. I went from a 4.9 to a 4.6 and back to a 4.7, after a while you'll be like "eff your 5-stars, give me TIPZ" whenever a 5-star rating is mentioned.

And yeah, in terms of location, the suburbs in Essex/Union County will typically give you the best trips. All Hudson County gives me is NYC rides and nightmare traffic.

NoCommission

UberX is illegal in NJ and in all other states except any city who forced Uber to work by the rules like New york city which all UberX have to get TLC license which is the same license for all limousine driver in NYC.
By the law if you provide a paid ride using any vehicle, the vehicle you use should have 1.5 million commercial insurance and commercial registration. If you got pulled over while you have customers in the car and the cop found out by asking them he will give you a big ticket. Whoever got pulled over by a cop and didn't get ticket because the cop was nice nothing else.
If your personal insurance company found out that you using your vehicle in a commercial use you will lose your insurance and you will never be able to get any personal insurance on your car from any other company.
In the beginning Uber used to defend any uberx who gets caught and they were sending their lawyer to help dismiss the ticket, now they don't do that anymore so be careful.