• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Question re: canceling orders

blondebaedc

I have a question regarding canceling orders - cause I’m new. If I pick up an order and swipe for delivery & then see that the location is going to be 20 minutes there and then 100 hours getting back (cause rush hour traffic)... can I cancel it? What do I do with the food? Or should I start delivery as soon as I walk in to the restaurant so I can see where it’s going and then cancel?

Last week I did 10.5 hours online for $18/hr. This is really only the second order where I’ve seen the location and been like “go f—k yourself.” But seriously, go f—k yourself with that nonsense. One item... there are no Thai restaurants delivering in DC vs NoVA??

I’m trying to avoid 45m - 1h RT absurdity for $9 and no tip.

Thx for any tips/advice.

911 Guy

If you cancel after starting the delivery, you can cancel a couple times before you will be deactivated.

Once you have the food, you need to make the trip. No way around it.

911 Guy

Yep. lol

They happen. Stay online and learn new areas. I've gotten some that take me to nowhere-ville only to get a surprise ping for a delivery that goes back the way I want to go. It is always a crapshoot.

blondebaedc

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah. It’s just cause I have a limited amount of time after I leave my 9-5, so if I have to drive to downtown at 4:30pm, then I only have time for 1 drop or else I won’t get back on time to pick up my small person. It is what it is, I guess. 🤷🏼‍♀️

911 Guy

Yeah. It’s just cause I have a limited amount of time after I leave my 9-5, so if I have to drive to downtown at 4:30pm, then I only have time for 1 drop or else I won’t get back on time to pick up my small person. It is what it is, I guess. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Try the burbs out. I purposefully avoid downtown. What times are you online?

YourFoodIsGettingCold

Or should I start delivery as soon as I walk in to the restaurant so I can see where it’s going and then cancel?
This will also get you deactivated in all liklihood because Uber does not have a back up plan. If you called support and said you have a family emergency, they will tell you to dispose of the food and probably still pay you. (Forcing them to pay the restaurant to remake and paying another driver.) However it will be a strike against you that will forever be in your tally, you will also get other strikes without doing anything wrong.

Don't waste them, jk. It's just Ubereats.

Irishjohn831

Hmm, maybe you got a flat tire, or your keys fell down a grate in the parking lot when you dropped them walking out of restaurant.

Maybe an emergency truck is blocking you in, maybe you ran out of gas, all these with the order.

Your roadside service is going to take 2 hours, call ubereats so they can ask the customer if they are willing to wait 2 hours, then take a free lunch.

Very long deliveries are BS and should be known prior to taking order.

iSeee

one time i got a 12 mile drop off that took me through rush hour traffic to another city, then to the top of a mountain full of curvy and narrow ass roads. that trip took me 1 hour 20 min, and was the ultimate worst drop off ive ever had ... these types of rides started happening almost daily, and now I have stopped doing ubereats during rush hour.

Fl*C

I hate when that happens. But on an unrelated note. What happens when I get a dual order, same restaurant and I swipe "start delivery" must I do that on both at the same time while leaving the restaurant ? Or do I swipe "start delivery" on the second order when Im done with delivery of the first ? Because if I swipe "start delivery" on both simultaneously, the other customer wonders what the heck Im doing several blocks away through their app.

Joe Dow

I will not recommend cancelling order after starting trip. Keep the count strike safe for real legitimate reason when you cant deliver. However, reach destination and cancel it there 😁 Now you have earned some money and have free food to munch on your way back !

I have heard some drivers selling food after cancelling at 20-50% price 🤪

blondebaedc

Try the burbs out. I purposefully avoid downtown. What times are you online?
I do it after work from about 3:45-5:15pm and then other times, as I am able. There are SO MANY restaurants around here that it just seems weird someone living in downtown would order from a place which isn't *that* close to them and thus, wait awhile for the food. But, I will say that I ordered from UE over the weekend to check out the interface and see what the customer sees (I was curious) and they offer a lot of promotions for *free* or $0.99 delivery "if you order in the next 5 minutes..." -- so maybe this restaurant was on the list and that's why the person picked it.
Post automatically merged:

I hate when that happens. But on an unrelated note. What happens when I get a dual order, same restaurant and I swipe "start delivery" must I do that on both at the same time while leaving the restaurant ? Or do I swipe "start delivery" on the second order when Im done with delivery of the first ? Because if I swipe "start delivery" on both simultaneously, the other customer wonders what the heck Im doing several blocks away through their app.
For a double order you check the box next to both names and then there is only 1 swipe to 'start delivery.' The app will route you to the closest drop first, you deliver and swipe to say its been delivered. Then it routes you to the 2nd drop. I do wonder if the 2nd drop sees that you have the food as soon as you start delivery or if the app tells them after you've dropped off the first one.

reg barclay

You can try setting a destination filter for the place where you need to pick up your small one, and add an arrival time to the filter. That's what I do if I ever I need to be somewhere, and don't want long deliveries. If you're worried, you can add some margin for error to the arrival time on the filter.

Another thing, IMHO if it's a very common chain (e.g, McDonalds) the delivery has less chance of being long, because customers further away will more likely just order from the one that's closer to them. Whereas a less common restaurant has more chance of a long delivery. Obviously this depends a bit on the area.

blondebaedc

You can try setting a destination filter for the place where you need to pick up your small one, and add an arrival time to the filter.

Another thing, IMHO if it's a very common chain (e.g, McDonalds) the delivery has less chance of being long, because customers further away will more likely just order from the one that's closer to them.
How do I do the destination filter?

I've only gotten 1 McDonald's pickup, and you're right, it was local. I delivered it to a server at a restaurant. Ha. Go figure.

reg barclay

I've only gotten 1 McDonald's pickup, and you're right, it was local. I delivered it to a server at a restaurant. Ha. Go figure.
I get restaurant to restaurant deliveries sometimes. It's usually from cheaper restaurants to staff at expensive restaurants.

How do I do the destination filter?
Tap on the magnifying glass icon at the top left of the main screen. Then enter a destination and arrival time and set it. That's how it works on my phone (Android). I do regular Uber as well though. So maybe if you only signed up for Eats your app is different, IDK.

blondebaedc

Tap on the magnifying glass icon at the top left of the main screen. Then enter a destination and arrival time and set it. That's how it works on my phone (Android). I do regular Uber as well though. So maybe if you only signed up for Eats your app is different, IDK.
Yeah, I'm only signed up for UE and that's not an option in my app. Oh well. 🤷‍♀️

911 Guy

No DF on Eats only accounts and it doesn't work at all if on an X account, with Deliveries only selected.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U Pay 0
R Technology 11
Menulog Delivery Service Australia 2