Question on Guarantees

Uber48208

If it reads $20 from 6a-8a, 50 mins online each hour... Can I skip 6a and just log on at 7a (for 50+ mins) and qualify for that hour or because I didn't work the 6 I won't qualify for the 7.

Thanks in advance.

Uber48208

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thx luvgurl22. Where I live, it's almost impossible for first request to take me out of the way from downtown where I work so it makes sense just to hop on at 7 and flip off at 7:50 (or ride I'm on at that point) as I'll already be en route downtown. Appreciate the confirmation.

fairsailing

Usually there is a one ride per hour minimum to qualify. Rides just after the top of the hour can be booked in the previous hour if the rider started looking for a car in the previous hour. The time stamp appears to be when rider initiated the request, not when driver accepted. Not an issue if you have multiple rides in the hour or one ride late in the hour. Ride history is your friend.

Uber48208

Usually there is a one ride per hour minimum to qualify. Rides just after the top of the hour can be booked in the previous hour if the rider started looking for a car in the previous hour. The time stamp appears to be when rider initiated the request, not when driver accepted. Not an issue if you have multiple rides in the hour or one ride late in the hour. Ride history is your friend.
Aha... so for my purpose, don't bother turning app on til :08 or so. Thanks for the tip.

fairsailing

Aha... so for my purpose, don't bother turning app on til :08 or so. Thanks for the tip.
Well, you can also just check ride history after you are finished with a ride that may be close. That time stamp appears to be what the system uses. Some may disagree, but unless you are going to blow out the guarantee, the best way to maximize your net profit, if I can you that term for ride share driving, is to get your one ride for the hour, then go hide, turn off your vehicle and sit. If you were on at say 5:01 for example, hopefully get your ride early, go to a dead area, then go off at 5:52 when you have your 50 minutes. Then come back on at 6:01. A second ride at say 5:55 serves no purpose other than to eat into your available time for the next hour and lower your payout for the current hour.

The other trick I will share is that Lyft averages all same dollar amount guarantee hours together for the week. So for example, they take all your rides that count during the $20 hours and average your income during all those hours to see if they need to pay you. So if one of those hours is a blowout say, $45 for example, that reduces your payout unless you are fortunate to finish your big dollar hour before 50 minutes, if so, get off the system so the hour does not qualify and raise your average/lower your payout.

(We have not had guarantees in this market since colleges let out in May, and now even very little rush hour Prime Time, which used to be very reliable. Will improve when the kids go back to school.)

Last edited:

Uber48208

Great tip fairsailing - My ride this AM did go above the guarantee... so turning off right away was the right move. Great advice. Thanks a bunch again.

JimS

When Lyft entered our Market, Uber changed the guarantee policy to require drivers to be online for 2.5 hours of each 3 hour incentive period.

Bastards.

Uber48208

Interesting technicality I just thought of... Are you technically "online" in that moment when you rate the rider? If so and you're in final few mins of the hour, waiting to rate would be the perfect work around...

Hunch is they consider you offline in that moment..

fairsailing

Interesting technicality I just thought of... Are you technically "online" in that moment when you rate the rider? If so and you're in final few mins of the hour, waiting to rate would be the perfect work around...

Hunch is they consider you offline in that moment..
Good question, maybe someone has checked this. As long as we are on the finer points, our airport has a geofence that Lyft has never acknowledged. It is large and includes parks near the airport. If your car is in the area that prevents pings from reaching you, and pax from seeing your car, are you off line or on line from a guarantee 50 minutes standpoint?

Last edited:

Uber48208

My assumption would be online assuming geofence blocks airport pings but still allows neighboring communities to get you? If you don't get neighboring communities - I think you beat the system...

fairsailing

My assumption would be online assuming geofence blocks airport pings but still allows neighboring communities to get you? If you don't get neighboring communities - I think you beat the system...
My experience in the geofence is that you are as dark as if you were not in driver mode. No one can reach you from the airport or anywhere else until you leave the geofence. Still unsure how the system counts those minutes. If we ever see guarantees in this market again, I'll take the time to test it unless someone else does and reports.

Uber48208

Last week was my first doing guarantees... the bonus hasn't been applied as of today... just checking to confirm that's normal and that you'll see it applied on Tuesday when they do your summary... if that's NOT normal (and I should have seen it applied today), let me know. Thanks!

fairsailing

Last week was my first doing guarantees... the bonus hasn't been applied as of today... just checking to confirm that's normal and that you'll see it applied on Tuesday when they do your summary... if that's NOT normal (and I should have seen it applied today), let me know. Thanks!
I also found the guarantee comments/calculations that you will see in your weekly pay report to be clear and accurate. I remember one $30 hour where I accepted my first ride at 5:59pm and they counted the hour and paid the difference. I never found a discrepancy over many weeks of guarantee payouts, and I kept pretty close track.

Daniel Harbin

I find the ride guarantees to be sketchy at best. Like working it from 7 to 10 I got a big ride at the end of the 7 hour and lasted 38 min into the 8th hour then none. Hour nine was good because the ride was 6 bucks and that was the only one. I usually make the 20% bonus so at 22 bucks and a tip, Lyft includes tips in the min hourly mix, if I make say 18 in rides and tips then its like the 22 buck min.

Uber48208

Lyft includes tips in the min hourly mix
That's my only gripe... I earned that... had nothing to do w/ there platform... other than than, I absolutely nailed guarantees my first week... very happy Lyft'er. One ride an hour in every one I did... this morning I missed a ping while tying my shoe and forgetting my audio was off... going to have to hit the road for a few non-guaranteed rides to get back to 90% this week... that said, very happy.. I realize not everyone gets Guarantees every week and I'm likely getting them because I'm still "new" but they're working perfect for my specific situation right now.

Adieu

Good question, maybe someone has checked this. As long as we are on the finer points, our airport has a geofence that Lyft has never acknowledged. It is large and includes parks near the airport. If your car is in the area that prevents pings from reaching you, and pax from seeing your car, are you off line or on line from a guarantee 50 minutes standpoint?
15 minutes online then it sneakily logs you out

Been doing it for months.

In other words, one ride guarantee only has to be online for 35-36 minutes perhour

Adieu

fairsailing post: 1296864 said:
My experience in the geofence is that you are as dark as if you were not in driver mode. No one can reach you from the airport or anywhere else until you leave the geofence. Still unsure how the system counts those minutes. If we ever see guarantees in this market again, I'll take the time to test it unless someone else does and reports.
Enter geofence @ 13 hours 50+ minutes in driving mode , see if it kicks you out 10 minutes later