Question for seasoned drivers.....

There is much fuss amongst drivers regarding the average hourly earnings. However I am less concerned about the time spent to accumulate earnings, as generally I only Uber when i have nothing better to do. As such I am more concerned about KM driven versus earnings.

With this in mind, how much would you guys expect to make for say every 100km driven?

Or put another way, if you want to make $200 on a particular day, how many KM would you expect to put on for it to be worthwhile?

i_k

The seasoned drivers can keep it relatively close to $1/km. It's very tough to do but possible, especially so if you drive Select/XL. But you still have to know what you're doing.

1UberMench

After 3500 trips the average is $1/km. It is so accurate that I reset my trip odometer when I start driving and use it to see how much money I have made. If I drive 100km and make $100 at the end of the day I am content. If I make more then $100 it is bonus, it was a good day. If I make less then I have to look back and see where I made an error. Maybe sitting in a bad spot for too long waiting, maybe not close enough to tall trees.

Largely depends on where you're driving.

Downtown is completely different than the suburbs.

Thanks, I avoid downtown as much as i can, as i live in the suburbs. Only time i drive downtown is if a passenger takes me there.

That makes sense, i realise km will be lower relating to $ driving downtown. I just avoid if possible.

After 3500 trips the average is $1/km. It is so accurate that I reset my trip odometer when I start driving and use it to see how much money I have made. If I drive 100km and make $100 at the end of the day I am content. If I make more then $100 it is bonus, it was a good day. If I make less then I have to look back and see where I made an error. Maybe sitting in a bad spot for too long waiting, maybe not close enough to tall trees.

Thanks, $1 per km is pretty awesome. Good work!

Actionjax

I will show today’s numbers tomorrow.

Attachments

• 89985B6C-D16E-4739-8B1F-6A64A9197E43.jpeg
    89985B6C-D16E-4739-8B1F-6A64A9197E43.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 92

shadow4478

I will show today’s numbers tomorrow.
hey what app is that? looks interesting?

i can't get anywhere near $1 per km,
if i drive a 100km trip one way i expect to make about $(90)
on the way home if i catch nothing I'm at 200km still $90 thats $0.45/km
how you guys manage to make $1/km is beyond me...

the other scenarios are drive 3-10km to location = $0
then you can get a 2km ride where you make $6 still not at $1/km

however like he said downtown is diff then suburbs...
on busy nights you may get calls where pax is out, and new one right in, those are sweet and far in between...

Return trips can = 0
if looking for better location when slow = 0

maybe XL can do better and im not seasoned :wink:
I make up with good consumptions average 3.9l/100km
I think you have to make the best for where you live and adapt to your area, drive when you see the lease cars around on rider app... etc...

Judgeetox

I tried to do $1 per km. Gave it up. Did full-time for 2 weeks once. Conclusion: what a waste of a perfectly good vehicle! Uber is a past time activity, not a 'job'.

dmoney155

I tried to do $1 per km. Gave it up. Did full-time for 2 weeks once. Conclusion: what a waste of a perfectly good vehicle! Uber is a past time activity, not a 'job'.

That's the problem, "full-time" . You gotta pick and chose your battles. No it's not a job, it's just extra money here and there. Best to pick up when you're heading somewhere regardless, not play taxi. Like poster above mentioned, you can get good trip, but if you don't get anything back, then there's big waste attached to it.

the other scenarios are drive 3-10km to location = $0
Yeah, that's way too far.

on busy nights you may get calls where pax is out, and new one right in, those are sweet and far in between...
Yep, that's why lots drive weekend nights, but then you deal with certain type of crowds and risk of barf-bag-on-wheels increases.

Return trips can = 0
Yes sir, those airport runs aren't as lucrative as they sound.

if looking for better location when slow = 0
It's a game of patience my friend. Bring a book lol.

Good luck...

shadow4478

Well tonight I tracked it as I was curious
Drove $175km 3.5l/100km used 6.2l all night
Made $161 + $10 in cash tips total $171, 18 Trips
Exact online time 5h:59min
I take back what I wrote earlier it’s possible... very close at least... (during the best hours)

Actionjax

As promised here was my Saturday

Attachments

• 204C7432-B7EB-4F54-A3D2-B895BE867952.png
    204C7432-B7EB-4F54-A3D2-B895BE867952.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 590D0214-FF12-4362-977D-6F8288601F34.png
    590D0214-FF12-4362-977D-6F8288601F34.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 63

Bumpy Ride

As a seasoned part time driver, i don't really concern myself with $ to KM ratio. I know I'm always on here boasting about making over $30/hour, but I have a lot of dead KMs in there. However, my costs are $0.07/KM so I don't mind losing a dollar to get to my hot spots where I know I'll get a long trip. I chalk up those lost dollars sprinkled here and there as the cost of business. So to the math:

If I made $180 in 6 hours on the app and drove 300KMs which is realistic but sometimes ratio is more even. That's $21 lost in gas. Plus another $23.4 lost in hst. Leaves me at $135.6 which would translate to $22.6 per hour. Which is over $11 more than minimum wage and personally im happy with that.

I don't concern myself with car depreciation either, the car will drop whether you drive it normally or uberly. Maybe I would be selling the car a few hundred dollars less than I would if it drove the car normally. And I don't worry too much about maintenance fees and other unexpected costs, tax return claims more than covers that. Also would be smart to use a good cash back credit card and points card for when u fill up for gas

PapaPaul

My year-to-date earning per Km driven is $0.60. However this figure is not a reliable source of information to base any decisions upon for following reasons:

1. Start location could be in remote area where you have to drive quiet a bit to busy areas (eg. live in Barrie and drive to Toronto to get pings)
  2. Destination settings may not turn up any pings
  3. Driving habits: standing and waiting for pings vs. continuously driving.
  4. Dead miles...as in returning from a long distance drop off.
These are just some of the reasons that make the $/Km ratio not much of a use. It's just perhaps a comparative figure from day to day. It fluctuates way to much to get any consistency or pattern out of it. I'm not sure why posters have indicated $1/km average. It can't be used for any tax or accounting reasons either. The only place KM driven is used if for determining percentage of business use of car.

Hope this perspective was helpful.

Well tonight I tracked it as I was curious
Drove $175km 3.5l/100km used 6.2l all night
Made $161 + $10 in cash tips total $171, 18 Trips
Exact online time 5h:59min
I take back what I wrote earlier it’s possible... very close at least... (during the best hours)

Thanks for your input, were you driving downtown?

DougR

As a seasoned part time driver, i don't really concern myself with $ to KM ratio. I know I'm always on here boasting about making over $30/hour, but I have a lot of dead KMs in there. However, my costs are $0.07/KM so I don't mind losing a dollar to get to my hot spots where I know I'll get a long trip. I chalk up those lost dollars sprinkled here and there as the cost of business. So to the math:

If I made $180 in 6 hours on the app and drove 300KMs which is realistic but sometimes ratio is more even. That's $21 lost in gas. Plus another $23.4 lost in hst. Leaves me at $135.6 which would translate to $22.6 per hour. Which is over $11 more than minimum wage and personally im happy with that.

I don't concern myself with car depreciation either, the car will drop whether you drive it normally or uberly. Maybe I would be selling the car a few hundred dollars less than I would if it drove the car normally. And I don't worry too much about maintenance fees and other unexpected costs, tax return claims more than covers that. Also would be smart to use a good cash back credit card and points card for when u fill up for gas

The $22.5 per hour is a pretty good rate. I have been driving about 7 months and find it to be pretty accurate, after taking in to account fuel, taxes and maintenance.

Not commenting as an expert, I drive a Caravan and is not the most economical fuel or maintenance wise. I budget $0.75 per kilometre and track mileage for tax percentage reasons. My number of $21-23 per hour are pretty consistent. There are a few days that come in around $19-21 but they are few and far between. As well I also qualify for the XL and that helps.

Actionjax

And now for Sunday. And on a positive note I might have worked the whole day for the blown tire I got at the end of the day. Tear in the sidewall. So it’s a replacement.

Keep thoes things in mind when you Uber. You can’t do this without thoes little surprises popping up.

Attachments

• 693502E2-EEC7-4995-8EB4-27B42F9196B7.png
    693502E2-EEC7-4995-8EB4-27B42F9196B7.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 34
  • D213C733-D002-4207-A4B1-91F72104D81E.png
    D213C733-D002-4207-A4B1-91F72104D81E.png
    43 KB · Views: 33

AlphaUber

And now for Sunday. And on a positive note I might have worked the whole day for the blown tire I got at the end of the day. Tear in the sidewall. So it’s a replacement.

Keep thoes things in mind when you Uber. You can’t do this without thoes little surprises popping up.
Ugh, that sucks man. Funny though, you probably made a few peoples day here.