Question for daytime drivers, or anyone with advice

ewynn9

I joined Uber just before the new rate cuts. I drove for 2 hours and made about $25 after gas, taxes, and wear and tear but haven't driven since then because of the cuts. My Lyft app was approved right after that but I haven't driven since then due to stuff coming up. I've read everything I possibly can and I know this can not be a sustainable job in the long term. My question pertains to short term, 3 weeks or so and primarily Lyft with some Uber thrown in to prevent dead miles.

I'm fed up with my job. I make decent money, $17.50/hr, but it has taken a toll on me physically due to the nature of my work and being in this heat. I'm only 28 and I wake up with back pain every morning. Right now, I'm working on switching jobs to banking and am just waiting on an interview. My problem is that every day i stay at this current job, I just stop caring about it more and more and I'm going to end up getting hurt.

Would I be able to drive Monday thru Friday 8-10 hours a day for a few weeks and make $700/week? I can't do Friday and Saturday nights due to prior commitments. I also live in the Allen/Plano area and have a 2014 Sentra with 33mpg city.

That's very doable.

People will say all kinds of crazy things in response to your question, but if you develop a bit of skill in your approach to this work and stay out there, your goal isn't unrealistic.

Get your driver and vehicle permits. Get your DFW permit.

You have a great car for rideshare work, but make sure to maintain it well.

Be aware that there are lots of great rides out there between 4:00am-6:00am.

Don't underestimate the role Lyft can play in putting together good weeks, even though 80-90% of your rides will likely come from Uber.

Read the posts from people who seem to be succeeding and who seem happy with what they are doing. I don't know why some of these others bother to post so much negativity--it seems like they would have long ago moved on to something more satisfying to them.

Nothing is guaranteed, though. With rideshare work there is no security, only opportunity.

Good luck.

CMB

OW drives all day with a break in the middle and make $200 constantly, I make over $600 a week constantly but I have a day job and do drive a lot on the weekend.

KMANDERSON

I joined Uber just before the new rate cuts. I drove for 2 hours and made about $25 after gas, taxes, and wear and tear but haven't driven since then because of the cuts. My Lyft app was approved right after that but I haven't driven since then due to stuff coming up. I've read everything I possibly can and I know this can not be a sustainable job in the long term. My question pertains to short term, 3 weeks or so and primarily Lyft with some Uber thrown in to prevent dead miles.

I'm fed up with my job. I make decent money, $17.50/hr, but it has taken a toll on me physically due to the nature of my work and being in this heat. I'm only 28 and I wake up with back pain every morning. Right now, I'm working on switching jobs to banking and am just waiting on an interview. My problem is that every day i stay at this current job, I just stop caring about it more and more and I'm going to end up getting hurt.

Would I be able to drive Monday thru Friday 8-10 hours a day for a few weeks and make $700/week? I can't do Friday and Saturday nights due to prior commitments. I also live in the Allen/Plano area and have a 2014 Sentra with 33mpg city.

It can be done.But typically weekend are were you going to make the most Saturday morning people flying to the airport same as Sunday and bar rush.Bar rush is a pain but that when you get some good surges.Well when surge is working.

ExpendableAsset

If you are limiting yourself on time, then you really cannot be picky about your fares, you just want as many rides as possible. I would work Dallas county exclusively, and accept every trip from a rider over 4.7. Also, I hear the airport runners are doing pretty good so you can permit up and hang out there. I do not personally do airport pickups, so I cannot say with confidence how well that works.

I would try it for a while part time before quitting your day job for sure.

A couple of days of driving will teach you more than a month on this forum.

It can be a lot of fun and it can also be very frustrating, especially if you are driving in areas you don't know that well, but that doesn't last long.

If you are depending on it to pay the bills, make sure you are behind the wheel at 4:00am every day. You can take a break later in the day, but between 4-6am the combination of longer runs, (mostly) sober PAX and no traffic is really nice.

Drive the speed limit and use your turn signals.

Manolo

OP - I started driving UBER/Lyft (90% uber PAX) couple of weeks ago. I only drive at night between 7pm - 1am and so far I make a little more than $700 a week and I have a day job as well. It can be done. Goodluck with your uber endeavor. I am actually enjoying doing the rideshare, get to talk to different people and it is totally different my day job which consists of 7 hours of conference calls.

ewynn9

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to do a day drive on Friday and see how it goes. Luckily, even if I put in my 2 weeks soon i will still be working enough to cover rent and pay utilities.

just drive

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to do a day drive on Friday and see how it goes. Luckily, even if I put in my 2 weeks soon i will still be working enough to cover rent and pay utilities.
Rush hour, only drive if nice surge. You don't wanna be parked on 75 for 45 minute for a 12 dollar ride.

aaadock

When you have a stupid pax that doesn't want alternate routes ☺
been there done that..

me: look at the traffic.. i am going to get off here and hit the back roads...
me: that gets you there a little faster .. giving you time for a restroom/ smoke break before starting whatever it is your doing next..

pax:.. hmm ok

dont ask them.
tell them we are doing this cause xxxx . not.. hey can we go that route and point out the window ...

most will thank you and say cool..

that one bastard that says no.. smile and thank him for the fare....
they will
a. feel better about themselves cause they beat the "cabbie" give up here.. no good comes from pushing it ( <--- if you tell and not ask.. then these are rare but they are out there )

b. they take your "thank you and smile" as a " this bastard WANTS me to stay on this road " and say ok go the other route

thats my experience

FlDriver

Just curious, what kind of rides do you get at 4-6 am? People going to work really early? It seems a bit late for the bar closing crowd.

nighthawk398

Just curious, what kind of rides do you get at 4-6 am? People going to work really early? It seems a bit late for the bar closing crowd.

I am not sure if Florida is like here in Dallas but between 4am and 6am will be surging from hotels with people wanting to go to the airport