1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Question for Black/SUV drivers

Discussion in 'Licensed' started by hulksmash, Dec 26, 2016.

1. hulksmash

hulksmash Well-Known Member

Since your platform doesn't surge together with lower tiers of service, do you all have the ability to opt down into X or XL during high surges when those services exceed your rates? I was at the Rams game the other night and saw plenty of you guys still logged on when the surge was up to 5-6x. X rates exceed black after 4x and XL exceeds SUV after 2.9 or so in my market.

My question is why don't more drivers log off black/SUV and opt down during high surges. Is it cause youd rather get something than nothing at all, or cause you only have that option? It seems you are only shorting yourselves in this scenario.

2. DexNex

DexNex Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    1. Yes.
    2. Because we don't want reg. drunk X-level passengers messing up our vehicles.
    3. Tips.

3. hulksmash

Don't you still get low level pax since the app now makes it easy for anyone to see your services are cheaper at those times? Don't pax still have the same notion of tips being included/not required, especially since your rates are higher most of the time?

4. Flex

Flex Member

I am registered with Virginia Authority as Uber SUV. I obtained it 1yr ago. I am not able to opt out of X/XL requests. My acceptance rating is 22% right now in my market. I refuse to do $3.75 runs in a 2016 Escalade and then get a 1 Star because I did not open the door for them.

5. hulksmash

Yea I feel you. Do you have one account that gets all types of requests? I thought you guys had an account for Black/SUV and one for X/XL. As an SUV driver, do you still accept X and XL when the surge is high enough to exceed SUV rates?

6. DexNex

DexNex Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Some markets allow separate accounts. Seattle does. Just make a request in the app via Other Account Issues and ask to have a separate account.

7. Flex

Flex Member

I have an X account where I drive my camry/nitro(i've got around 2500 trips and 4.83 rating); and an Black/Suv account which i login to drive my Escalade. If I'm at MGM, I'll take XL calls; and everywhere else I'll accept 2.0 X and 1.4 XL and up... and of course black & suv requests. With that, my acceptance is 22%. The class of rider is like night and day, though. I caught a 1 Star for not allowing some dregs to eat/smoke in my SUV last week.

8. hulksmash

Another question. I have an Uber SUV type vehicle I bought for personal use, and drive XL and even X in the rare instances where the rates are profitable enough to drive this type of vehicle. I like to know if you can register your POV as a commercial vehicle by getting all the proper licenses and insurance. If I did, can I still use it as a personal car?

9. DexNex

DexNex Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    In my market most drivers are setup with:

Black/SUV only
    XL/Select only (same rate on both)
    and one account with all upper tiers (Black/SUV/XL and Select)

We have flat fares from the city core to the airport for Black/SUV. So in times of high surge, drivers will drop off Black/SUV and move down into XL/Select. Our XL/Select surges at the same levels as UberX. Black/SUV surges separately... so not very often.

10. DexNex

DexNex Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Yes, but are they even accepting new Black/SUV where you are? Most markets are locked right now.

Inland Empire only has XL/X.

LA is locked for new Black/SUV.

11. Flex

Flex Member

Our market is completely different than Seattle. Getting something is not better than nothing in an 85k vehicle. It cost me 1.75 per mile to drive my SUV w/ insurance, fuel and not including depreciation for miles; and wear/tear. One 5 Mile trip in an SUV is 45.00. In an X - its 4.50-7.00. Do the math.

12. DexNex

DexNex Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I am on your side on this. Acceptance rates don't matter. The fact that you are being selective is the correct way to drive.

I am just wondering if you have ASKED IN THE APP for separate accounts for your SUV? That way you don't have to even see the X requests. That is how I am set up.

13. Flex

Flex Member

Absolutely. I have an Uber X account for my camry which has its own login/password profile. I also have my own black/suv account which is associated with my limousine authority. When I drive the Escalade, I login to this profile. In our market, we have to agree to do X/XL after a previous grandfather date of over a year ago. Those black/suv's that were grandfathered don't have to agree to this; but I do because I came afterward. My reading of the consent to do the trips was that I would consent to do X/XL when the demand was so high and the supply of X cars could not meet the demand. That is not what's happening. They are sending me all X calls w/ X/XL's sitting around empty. I went to the Hub and asked them to opt me out and they refused to do that..... so I refuse the requests :) [BTW: Our app does not have an OPT OUT feature]

Which this is a good question for review on the issue of employment. If Im not an employee then how come I can't NOT DO THOSE X/XL requests?

14. DexNex

DexNex Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Is the SUV/Black account YOUR account, or does it belong to a company that you are driving for?

15. hulksmash

Actually the IE has Black SUV except in SAN Bernardino county. I rarely ever see one in the rider app, which tells me it wouldn't be worth it to do it in this market. I can easily match or exceed SUV rates with XL surges during events that happen here. It was more of a hypothetical question. Just wondering if commercial insurance would cover you for personal use.

16. Flex

Flex Member

My account(I have my own limousine authority number) and there's no option to opt out in our app in this market.

17. Flex

Flex Member

I think that question depends on the laws of the state where the Limousine Operating Authority is provided. For example, if you are a state or municipality that requires Limousine Permits for drivers then only people who have the permit may drive the car regardless of whether its for personal use or not). Further, you'd have to check w/ your insurance and the terms of the policy as to whether it will cover non-business usage. For me -- everything is business :)