1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Question about waiting

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Patrick Woods, Sep 7, 2015.

1. So I have a question. You pick up a pax heading a mile up the road to the grocery store and they want you to wait for them to go inside and pick up a few things and take them back home afterwards. Do you wait for them 10 to 15 minutes or do you end the trip at the grocery store and have them re-enter a new pick up when they get done and wait for them to come back out.

2. Footnanking

Footnanking

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Never end the trip if you are not planning to take another pax. This isnt charity work!

3. It logs by the minute if we are waiting correct?

4. Choochie

Choochie

I don't wait unless it is a convenience or liquor store - quick in and out. Whatever your minute rate is would be up to you. I assume there are plenty of cars around. Is it worth your time? My guess is no.

Cathi likes this.
  5. renbutler

renbutler

Driving:
    UberXL
    Waiting pays next to nothing.

I tell my passenger (politely, of course) that I can wait up to five minutes, and then they'll need a new Uber.

Then I'll wait six minutes.

Cathi likes this.
  6. I was thinking should I tell them I have to end the trip and stay close To pick up the ping when they are ready to leave

7. renbutler

renbutler

Driving:
    UberXL
    Well, then you're committing to a return ride, and then not even getting paid pennies for waiting.

8. Footnanking

Footnanking

Driving:
    UberSUV
    After I switched to XL only, I stopped having these problems. If I remember well, the rates for UberX are so low that its not worth it waiting more than 10 minutes.

9. Gretzky

Gretzky

I'll wait for them to use the ATM, but not for grocery shopping etc.

10. JMBF831

JMBF831

Driving:
    UberX
    In California we get paid .15-.20c per minute.

And, we get 75% of that.

So, we get less than $1 for waiting 5-minutes. I don't usually wait for someone unless it's for a short period of time. I kindly tell them, "We end up making less than $1 for waiting 5-minutes and end up missing other calls, but if you're fast I don't mind waiting."

Something to that affect. Sometimes the pax will tip you for waiting (rare) and those are always appreciated.

Cathi likes this.
  11. BostonBarry

BostonBarry

Driving:
    Lyft
    I explain to the rider that (in my market) they save money if they ask the driver to wait but driver is not obligated to agree.

As a driver you would make more money (again, in my market) if you ended trip and had them start another unless they make you wait 18 minutes. At $0.16/minute that is how long it takes to offset the $2 pickup fee and $1 safe rider fee they would be charged on a new request.

Most of the time I'm ok waiting as it means I don't have to wait empty for a ping and I don't have to travel empty to pickup someone else.

If it is surging and pings are frequent I would politely refuse.

12. JMBF831

JMBF831

Driving:
    UberX
    Of course as a driver you would make more money. Because you could also be getting another ping. If they are going somewhere far I don't mind waiting (obviously). But if it's a short 1-mile trip then waiting really has no benefit.

13. If it's not a 7-11 or something along those lines I tell them I will end the trip and wait around, if I get no other pings in between I will still be there when they get out.

Sacto Burbs likes this.