Question about Uber X verses Uber Select or Uber Black

MarkInChicago

Been driving for about 2 months. I currently drive a VW GTI which means that classifies me as Uber X only. I'm considering upgrading my vehicle to either a cross-over type SUV or a regular size SUV.
My question is in two parts:
(1) What types or sizes of vehicles are required for Uber Select and Uber Black?
(2) What is the additional amount (per mile/per trip) that we are paid for either Select or Black?

Fjavier1203

Black U need a chauffeur license
2 bucks a mile for select but select can be slow at times. I mean extremely slow like 2 hrs no calls... As most have said to buy a car for this may not be a good idea

RoPaDriver

the list of cars that qualify is on the website. I drive a VW Tiguan (mid-size SUV) and it does NOT qualify for XL or Select, the next size SUV does.

Adieu

Luxury/Sport sedans are usually select.. Stunnning deals out there on beater Acuras barely squeezing thru select or xl for another year or two

"SUV" is actually short for "black SUV", very restrictive and requires chauffeur license & commercial plates n stuff... the seats-six-pax tariff is XL (vans and regular sport utilities with third row seats)

UberBeemer

I don't login as select only anymore, it's too slow most nights. But every now and then... the nice thing is you still get Select pings logged in as X. If you purchase for yourself and use for Uber, all good. Just consider carefully. Spending extra to do this might not be cost effective.

That said, if you can swing it, drive the car that you like, and you'll enjoy this more.

Last edited:

Bigsam83

My car is good for a both X and Select. I usually run both because Select only has me sitting around for hours. I would say that 10% of my rides are Select and out of that about 95% are people that requested select by mistake or don't know there is a difference.

Wil_Iam_Fuber'd

My car is good for a both X and Select. I usually run both because Select only has me sitting around for hours. I would say that 10% of my rides are Select and out of that about 95% are people that requested select by mistake or don't know there is a difference.
Exactly true. Which is why gnub's should not invest in such a vehicle purchase exclusively for guber. Guber is a "come as you are" sort of party. And if you are a select class vehicle (i.e. entry level livery) and driving X rates, than one need seriously consider the viability of selling your precious miles at <$.90. I'm not saying, I'm just sayin'. Go ahead and pick me up X in a late model Acura/Bimmer, I double dare you.