question about Uber app

Schweisshund

I was reading the Chicago forum and someone mentioned the latest update will show where it is surging, without you having to go online.

My app does not do this - I am in Atlanta. How do I get the update, or, what do I need to do in order to stay offline and see real-time surge areas?

because that is the claim being made by several Uber drivers on this forum. I think that would "nifty" if that can be done. Thanks in advance.

UberLouise

I was reading the Chicago forum and someone mentioned the latest update will show where it is surging, without you having to go online.

My app does not do this - I am in Atlanta. How do I get the update, or, what do I need to do in order to stay offline and see real-time surge areas?

because that is the claim being made by several Uber drivers on this forum. I think that would "nifty" if that can be done. Thanks in advance.
I have a cheapo Android phone and I too can see the surge without logging on. I'm in the Atl area.

Thatendedbadly

Or you could just download the pax app, the surge rates are updated in a more timely fashion-more accurately-than the driver app. And you never actually have to take a ride to use the app.

Schweisshund

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am not sitting in my car (newbie) and decided to go online just to see if I was doing something wrong - I didn't have the current update.

D'oh!

Schweisshund

I also found an app at http://surgeapp.org and I am using the free basic version ($4.99 a month for their premium version) - I want to try it out first and see if it actually works. If it does, then it might be worth the $4.99 a month.

Reversoul

Yeah I don't have to be online to see surge. I have android phone in Atlanta market.

Anyway, the surge is delayed on the driver app by about a minute. Use the rider app for real time surge info.

Plus, having the rider app open helps contribute to surge. Win, win.

Schweisshund

Just wanted to see how the app worked tonight. Few things I need to get accustomed to.

Schweisshund

Nope. Just 2 rides. I am only doing this to see how the app works. I can, however, see how I can pay some bills working maybe 2-3 shifts a week in addition to my other job. It's not hard work, it's not back breaking manual labor - so far, no complaints.

Schweisshund

I wanted my first night doing this to be on a Monday, because I figured it would be a slow night. But MAN! Is it THIS slow?

Driving UberXL had app on and off since 4:30 p.m. And had two rides and one cancelled, but immediately requested after the cancel (my 2nd ride).

The area is Chastain near TC mall by Embassy Suites. Total payout of $17.92

Schweisshund

This would work if it was more than just 2 rides. I had requested to only drive the XL platform, and did not get any UberX requests, even while sitting in the middle of a surge. I am wondering if I should request X and XL? I also did not leave the vicinity of the KSU/Town Center Mall area.

Overall, nothing was "unpleasant" other than waiting ... and waiting ... and ... waiting for a ping.

Also, Uber is deducting the $1.75 "rider fee" - what is the reason for that?

Reversoul

I drive the ksu, town center area often and Mondays can be slow in general.

If I'm not getting many xl fares, I switch to x and xl or just get in my Honda civic and take a drive into the west paces ferry area. Guaranteed to make money on any given night.

I live in Woodstock so I get a lot of towne lake and downtown Woodstock fares. With all the bars and clubs in downtown Woodstock, I stay pretty busy. Especially considering I live a little over a mile away from there.

Schweisshund

I looked at the Uber app in the section "best places to drive" - and it looks like early to late evening, one of the best places to drive is Buckhead. I may try that Thursday night and see how it goes.

I am tempted to drive X and XL with the van - but I don't want to drive at X fares with an XL vehicle.