Question about PSP airport

UglyOldGuy

Hello guys I just recently moved from New York to Yucca Valley. Used to do a lot of airport rides but here it seems rather pointless or am I missing something? For example right now there’s 21 drivers in the lot waiting however the airport doesn’t seem to be very active and most of the pickups seem to be going to nearby hotels , I’ve been experimenting and have had better sucess driving through the streets but I feel that if there’s so many drivers at the lot maybe there’s something to it?

RogerJS

Hello guys I just recently moved from New York to Yucca Valley. Used to do a lot of airport rides but here it seems rather pointless or am I missing something? For example right now there’s 21 drivers in the lot waiting however the airport doesn’t seem to be very active and most of the pickups seem to be going to nearby hotels , I’ve been experimenting and have had better sucess driving through the streets but I feel that if there’s so many drivers at the lot maybe there’s something to it?
PSP has less flights then most airports if you work there make sure you download a live flight schedule so you don’t sit there 2 hours in between flights like some fools do .
Mostly new drivers work the airport and far too many drivers then needed .
The biggest issue is you have a 75% chance to get a very short trip to the downtown hotels, if you luck out and get out of the DT area you’ll do ok with most likely a 25 to 35 $ trip.
Post automatically merged:

In general you’ll be disappointed with the volume in the desert,, we have a fairly low number of residents considering the size of the desert with far too many drivers,, a lot of retired people drive here ...
It will pick up starting in November as the snow birds arrive.. and weekends are always ok in DT Palm Springs..BUT agin expect a significant change from what you’re use too

Last edited:

UglyOldGuy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
PSP has less flights then most airports if you work there make sure you download a live flight schedule so you don’t sit there 2 hours in between flights like some fools do .
Mostly new drivers work the airport and far too many drivers then needed .
The biggest issue is you have a 75% chance to get a very short trip to the downtown hotels, if you luck out and get out of the DT area you’ll do ok with most likely a 25 to 35 $ trip.
Post automatically merged:

In general you’ll be disappointed with the volume in the desert,, we have a fairly low number of residents considering the size of the desert with far too many drivers,, a lot of retired people drive here ...
It will pick up starting in November as the snow birds arrive.. and weekends are always ok in DT Palm Springs..BUT agin expect a significant change from what you’re use too
Thank you for the well written reply, so far I’ve been just working the streets since the airport did not seem like a good choice here last time i went everyone just seemed ok with waiting 2 hrs while socializing with their friends. So far it has been very different from what I’m used to but that was to be expected I’m still trying to figure out which areas are best and so far have had the best luck outside of DT PS as you said!

RogerJS

Thank you for the well written reply, so far I’ve been just working the streets since the airport did not seem like a good choice here last time i went everyone just seemed ok with waiting 2 hrs while socializing with their friends. So far it has been very different from what I’m used to but that was to be expected I’m still trying to figure out which areas are best and so far have had the best luck outside of DT PS as you said!
If you’re working days you may want to try Cathedral City area , if you’re working nights anywhere in Palm Springs is pretty good .. every part of the desert is dead after 10:00 pm with the exception of Palm Springs..good luck !

UglyOldGuy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you’re working days you may want to try Cathedral City area , if you’re working nights anywhere in Palm Springs is pretty good .. every part of the desert is dead after 10:00 pm with the exception of Palm Springs..good luck !
Thank you again for the information and tips will definitely give it a go!

To Mega Therion

A lot of your day rides will be shorties: doctor appointments, work commuting. As evening sets you get the dinner/cocktail crowd. Once or twice day you may get lucky and have a ride out of town. The ride out to Yucca Valley/Joshua Tree/29 Palms is good, but it's hard to find a ride back. If you find yourself in Riverside, L.A., or Orange Co., work the area until a couple hours before you want to end, then set your DF. You'll do progressively worse getting rides as you get closer to home.

I did it for a year, then determined it's at best a break-even endeavor. You're basically cashing in the equity in your car. The pay rates stink.