Question about new vehicle application

Inshur
The title and registration is in my brothers name, and he dosnt have a tlc license. can I still make the car a tlc car? He will get his tlc license way later on. But for the time being, I want to make it a tlc car now.

The title is in his name and registration in his name. Does the owner of the car need a tlc license to do the application? I heard of a power of attorney notary so I can make the car tlc and do the application with his permission.

Uber Driver 007

OK, since you made an effort. I'll bite.

TLC insurance as well as TLC vehicle application will be done in your name.

As the title isn't in your name, you will need a notarized power of attorney to submit with your TLC vehicle application. Just type up a POA and go with your brother to have it notarized. It basically needs to state that you are being given full permission to use the said car and you are given full authority register it with T&LC, etc.

Once you get the approval letter from TLC, go with your brother to the DMV for registration and to pick up your TLC plates. You will need to complete a vehicle registration transfer form as you'll now be registering the car in Your name. The title shall continue to remain in your brother's name obviously.

Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
OK, since you made an effort. I'll bite.

TLC insurance as well as TLC vehicle application will be done in your name.

As the title isn't in your name, you will need a notarized power of attorney to submit with your TLC vehicle application. Just type up a POA and go with your brother to have it notarized. It basically needs to state that you are being given full permission to use the said car and you are given full authority register it with T&LC, etc.

Once you get the approval letter from TLC, go with your brother to the DMV for registration and to pick up your TLC plates. You will need to complete a vehicle registration transfer form as you'll now be registering the car in Your name. The title shall continue to remain in your brother's name obviously.

Good luck.
Wow man cool thanks. Didn't think someone would provide such a detailed answer.

To make certain of a few things.

1) This can all be done with my brother not having a tlc license right? Only me.

And we will get the paper notarized and everything will be in my name OK.

2) So about the registration, as I said it's in his name, cool right?

This is the part I'm lost about...

3) do I need to do tlc registration BEFORE I submit the application or after getting the tlc plates? The car will go from his regular registration to my tlc registration right?

I'm lost on this registration part.

Uber Driver 007

1) This can all be done with my brother not having a tlc license right? Only me.

Correct. Your brother does not need to have a TLC license.

And we will get the paper notarized and everything will be in my name OK.

Correct. You will first go to an insurance broker with your base letter from Uber and get liability insurance in your name. If you also want physical damage coverage, that will be under your brother's name with you listed as a driver. Your broker will know how to do all this.

After you have your insurance active, you can submit your TLC vehicle application with all the required documents as well as the notarized POA. Again, the TLC vehicle application must be completed in YOUR name.

2) So about the registration, as I said it's in his name, cool right?

After you get your approval letter from TLC...then it's time to go to the DMV to pick up the TLC plates / pay for registration. At that point, you will complete a registration transfer form (or new registration, I forgot which one - your insurance broker should know).

The commercial registration will have to be under Your name. As odd as it may sound, NY DMV allows you to register the car under someone else's name. Again, your brother will need to be present for this to be done.

This is the part I'm lost about...

3) do I need to do tlc registration BEFORE I submit the application or after getting the tlc plates? The car will go from his regular registration to my tlc registration right?

Step 1: Get TLC insurance.

Step 2: Submit your TLC vehicle application. Uber can schedule your appointment when you're there to get your base letter.

Step 3: Once approved for Step 2, go to the DMV to pick up your TLC plates / register / pay for registration. It's all done right there.

Step 4: Get your vehicle inspection done by TLC. Again, Uber will schedule this for you.

Step 5: Regret when you find out people lied to you about how much they are making with little effort. It's hard work and requires a lot of discipline and motivation.

Remember your brother (or anyone else) can no longer operate the car once you have TLC plates and insurance on it - unless they are listed as an active driver on the insurance policies (which means they'll need to have a TLC license)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lol at step 5, I've already been driving for a while actually just that I was renting and now my Bro bought a car, so I'll use it until he gets his tlc license who knows when then we both work using the car. Him day and me night. Yes I know about the not being able to drive the car thing without tlc license. Thanks a lot for your answer. That just about solves every question. They should hire you to be a call center representative for the TLC.

AGAIN, I appreciate the detailed and thorough answer. I would've never gotten an answer from the tlc without busting a trip there and waiting for hours.

Uberman8263

Lol at step 5, I've already been driving for a while actually just that I was renting and now my Bro bought a car, so I'll use it until he gets his tlc license who knows when then we both work using the car. Him day and me night. Yes I know about the not being able to drive the car thing without tlc license. Thanks a lot for your answer. That just about solves every question. They should hire you to be a call center representative for the TLC.

AGAIN, I appreciate the detailed and thorough answer. I would've never gotten an answer from the tlc without busting a trip there and waiting for hours.
They do not hire intelligent people to work at the call center

Inshur New York