Question about Early Morning Shifts

Yankee

The other day I took a Lyft and the guy was bragging about how he only does the morning shift. Tells me he's averaging 90 rides/week, $25 an hour. He tells me it's non-stop all over the city, not just the hotel area downtown. I've never met a driver who didn't brag about how he was making bank, but this guy seemed sincere. So this morning I get up and on the road at 5 a.m. By 6:20 a.m. I got only 1 ping (between Lyft & Fasten), for $7. I started downtown, and after a while went up to the north area hotels, then went down N. Lamar. Zero. Crickets. I spent $10 on gas. I went into the deficit by $3 for my efforts. I'm wondering, was this guy gaslighting me? Or did I just happen to hit a slow morning? I'd like to hear your experience with this shift. Thanks!

Last edited:

TNCMinWage

Yankee good to see you back! I do mornings and afternoons (I had to add in some nights this summer cause it was ridiculously slow). It is very unpredictable. Some days I get a couple solid $40 rides to airport, on some days I pull a blank. There's a couple of days during the week that are better than others, on average. That guy probably gets pings from 19 minutes away and takes them. Silly clown probably nets out about even after his gas/mileage. His costs are probably 40% after all that extra dead miles, so he's probably making $15/hour and doesn't even realize it. Drop me a private msg if you want to know some good areas to drive as you are one of the good guys on here. I'm not sharing it with any low brow Lyft drivers cause I don't want that .75 a mile poverty paying crap in my hood.

Last edited:

Yankee

Yankee good to see you back! I do mornings and afternoons (I had to add in some nights this summer cause it was ridiculously slow). It is very unpredictable. Some days I get a couple solid $40 rides to airport, on some days I pull a blank. There's a couple of days during the week that are better than others, on average. That guy probably gets pings from 19 minutes away and takes them. Silly clown probably nets out about even after his gas/mileage. His costs are probably 40% after all that extra dead miles, so he's probably making $15/hour and doesn't even realize it. Drop me a private msg if you want to know some good areas to drive as you are one of the good guys on here. I'm not sharing it with any low brow Lyft drivers cause I don't want that .75 a mile poverty paying crap in my hood.

LOL! Hey TNC good to see you too! You have good instincts, as he told me he takes every. single. ping. he gets, even if he's in the supermarket or something. He never turns one down. But he made it sound like he's always busy getting pings, and never shuts his app down even when he's in a bad spot. Again, I find few drivers are honest about how they're doing in this thing. Anyway, I'm back to pick up some extra cash now that the summer is over, and I'd love to catch up. I'll IM you. Thank you again!

Yankee

I sent you a pvt note but it says "You may not start a pvt conversation with TNCMinWage. So, there's that.

wilsonz83

I feel the same, sometimes you get good airport runs, sometimes nothing. Not reliable. Pings from 25+ minutes but I am not taking it.

Yankee

I feel the same, sometimes you get good airport runs, sometimes nothing. Not reliable. Pings from 25+ minutes but I am not taking it.

Thanks wilsonz83. I think the guy was gaslighting me. I don't know why so many drivers feel they need to act like they're making a fortune in this gig.

AustinAggie

Mornings are good. Just like any other time of day, you have to figure out where is best for you.
Mondays are like Friday nights.
The week gets progressivel| slower.
For best results, plan on starting NLT 4 AM.

El Gato

Well be ready for an early morning pickup on Friday. Will need a ride to work that day and my school is in South Austin and I live in Cedar Park. That is a $45 estimate fare for me. So $36 for the driver on the Uber platform who is grandfathered in at 20% and $33.75 for those at 25%. And yes I will tip too. 6:15AM pick up in Cedar Park this Friday. Plus a ride to the airpot when I get out of school (which is Shady Hollow) around 3:30-3:45PM. See you all on Friday!

TNCMinWage

Well be ready for an early morning pickup on Friday. Will need a ride to work that day and my school is in South Austin and I live in Cedar Park. That is a $45 estimate fare for me. So $36 for the driver on the Uber platform who is grandfathered in at 20% and $33.75 for those at 25%. And yes I will tip too. 6:15AM pick up in Cedar Park this Friday. Plus a ride to the airpot when I get out of school (which is Shady Hollow) around 3:30-3:45PM. See you all on Friday!

I'll take you El Gato if we can do it on RA or Fasten. If you have ride credits on Uber then no worries I understand and I'm sure someone else will be happy to.

El Gato

I'll take you El Gato if we can do it on RA or Fasten. If you have ride credits on Uber then no worries I understand and I'm sure someone else will be happy to.

Was going to initially use R|A or even Fasten but yeh I did get some ride credits pop up on Uber this morning and for a $45 Fare on my end I'd like to bring that cost down as much as possible. Airport one I can use whoever since I am getting reimbursed for that one.

TNCMinWage

Was going to initially use R|A or even Fasten but yeh I did get some ride credits pop up on Uber this morning and for a $45 Fare on my end I'd like to bring that cost down as much as possible. Airport one I can use whoever since I am getting reimbursed for that one.

Booo!

tcc83

Gato, we have a lot in common. I live in RR near CP. Was a teacher, now AP, in AISD. Bobcat season ticket holder. Do you post on bobcatfans with the same name?

El Gato

Gato, we have a lot in common. I live in RR near CP. Was a teacher, now AP, in AISD. Bobcat season ticket holder. Do you post on bobcatfans with the same name?
Ha! Yes I do post on bobcatfans as well. I do those awesome gameday threads every Saturday:smiles: ! First time in 5 years though I did not purchase season tickets or renew my Bobcat Club membership as I have been a little disappointed with LT and this direction of his program. And yes also in AISD, at a middle school south of Slaughter off Brodie lane. I have a pretty rough commute which is a huge reason I started driving for Uber. Might as get paid for mu commute and maybe avoid some of the rush hour traffic if possible before heading back up North.

dgsmilez

I belive him. I only do morning shift every day of the week. From 7am - 2/3pm on the uber platform. I average by the end of my week 22/hr. After new tires every 20000 miles, oil changes, and gas I net about 18/hr profit. I don't know if its cuz I have a 4.9 rating on 200 rides, a 100% acceptance rate and 5% cancelation rate but I get solid rides in the morning never average under $18/hr. Hope that helps. I never do Lyft tho Lyft is slow in the morning

Jay Dean

I drove every morning at 4am for about a month and made about 20 to 30 am hr and always was tipped One problem is it gets boring and repetitive so now I drive Monday and Tuesday mornings and evenings every other day, the cool thing about early mornings is you are A. The hero B. Nobody is high C. Nobody talks much because they are tired and D. At 4am-6am people "need" to be somewhere nobody needs a freakin beer. It's a much needed service for AM drivers and people love you for it

Oh and NO TRAFFIC, pretty awesome to cruise the city with no cars listening to favorite music

Another funny thing is McDonald's will always say their servers are down anytime from like 3:45-5 haha at least at the couple locations so just don't bother lol

Last edited:

TNCMinWage

I belive him. I only do morning shift every day of the week. From 7am - 2/3pm on the uber platform. I average by the end of my week 22/hr. After new tires every 20000 miles, oil changes, and gas I net about 18/hr profit. I don't know if its cuz I have a 4.9 rating on 200 rides, a 100% acceptance rate and 5% cancelation rate but I get solid rides in the morning never average under $18/hr. Hope that helps. I never do Lyft tho Lyft is slow in the morning

Your costs seem low...but then again there is limited info here. Are you driving an incredibly old car that doesn't depreciate? Have you factored in accelerated wear and tear on things like brakes? Are you factoring in all of those unpaid miles driving to pax, plus all of those deadhead miles? If so, nice work, and my apologies! If not, rerun the math!

TNCMinWage

I have a brand new car and yes I factored in brakes. I did forget to put that in so thanks for bringing it up tho cause that is important. From a finaical stand point unpaid miles arnt really as big of an issue as people make it seem. I put $20 in gas in and it fills my tank which gets me $180 - $200 dollars out of uber. It is an investment and i am getting a return thats it. Especially with the tax return at the end of the year for milage, the duduction is insane and if you pay your taxes quaterly like i do them you get a double digit return. Also I don't know about other drivers but I drive very safe and slowly. I have had same tires and breaks for 16000 miles, I just had an oil change yesterday and they still say everything looks brand new. Accelerated ware and tare is a myth in my opionon. At the very least has never been an issue with me. Simply put even if I make $18000 dollars ($3000 a month) working 30 hours a week in 6 months. It costs me (I'll estimate high on unpaid miles) 25000 miles to acheive that. In that time I will have to buy breaks and tires. Which cost $800 and $400. Gas costs me about $10 a day to acheive this, again a high estimate which over 6 months comes out to $1200. I will need 4 oil changes in that time. That will cost $200. Now this last part you might not agree with but from a finicial stand point it makes sense to me. So now let's do this math $18000 - $2600 = $15400 now let's take that and divide it by hours worked $15400/720 = $21/hr. I said I make net $18/hr to leave room for any thing unexpected. This is my experiance with uber and I love it but again this is me idk about anyone else.

I don't see how one could say that accelerated wear and tear is a myth. If you put 25,000 miles of additional miles on your car, you are telling me you aren't using your brakes for any of those miles? How much are your depreciating the value of whatever new car you have when you put an EXTRA 25,000 EXTRA miles per year on it? That's twice the amount of miles the average person puts in a car per year. Do you pay for additional TNC insurance (you should if you don't, its not too much extra). Do you pay to clean the car or do you add a few more hours per month at $0 revs if you clean it yourself?

I'm sorry, but the reality is you aren't making $18 an hour because you aren't factoring in a few things. You can continue to think that you are, but you are just doing other drivers a disservice by stating so on this forum.

wilsonz83

I have to say 200 rides with Uber, you are still enjoying newbie special treatment. Both Lyft/Uber will let you keep busy and getting good rides since they want you to think this is a good gig. After 500 rides you will see the difference. Also 100% acceptance rate means nothing, I am at 25% acceptance rate and I am not making less money than you. If I am in a surge zone, I will turn down any request with no surge or small surge. Eventually, they will send me a good surge ride. I never pick up requests from passengers with rating lower than 4.85, at the airport I only accept requests with rating better than 4.95, Which typically lead to a good tip or a longer ride.
Taking a look at all your posts, I don't know how you can be so sure that you are going to make $18,000 for 6 months if you only have 200 rides done. I have almost 3,000 uber rides for the past 3 years with 4.89 rating(I moved to Austin recently but Uber operates almost the same way in all cities) All they are doing is flooding the market with more and more drivers, your earnings only going down every month.
You are also saying you get tips every ride, do you mind share with us some screenshots? or you are going to say they all tipped with cash?

dgsmilez

I dont only do Uber. lol As I said tho if you wanna debate this more and actually learn something. Message me.

Especially considering Uber didnt even come back until very recently for a year i worked other platforms. All the platforms pay exactly the same almost.

On top of everything else. You are only looking at rated trips. I actually have alot more rides then that on the uber platform.

Last edited: