• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Question about driving in France

I'm looking to start driving in a small town in France. I'm American and am currently on a tourist visa here. I will hopefully be getting a long-stay visa in France. I have a valid American license, and once I get my visa will likely transfer it here. Do I have to be European to drive Uber in France? What are some other tips you may have?

reg barclay

I'm looking to start driving in a small town in France. I'm American and am currently on a tourist visa here. I will hopefully be getting a long-stay visa in France. I have a valid American license, and once I get my visa will likely transfer it here. Do I have to be European to drive Uber in France? What are some other tips you may have?
From what I understand, unlike the USA, European countries are generally stricter when it comes to Uber and require full taxi licensing and insurance. Even in the USA I don't think you can do Uber with a foreign license, so I seriously doubt you'd be able to do so in France unless it's from another EU country, but even then I'd be doubtful.

Once you have a French drivers license then that's a different story. I don't see why you'd have to be European to drive there but you'd probably need valid immigration/work permission, plus they might require a couple of years of being licensed in France/EU and I think you'd'need to get proper taxi licensing/insurance. Obviously this is all guesswork.

Last edited:

Delock

I drive in France and as reg barclay said, it's really complicated to drive as uber here.
You need to understand that its considered a real work here and not only some kind of side-job.
The first problem is that you'll need a French license to even sign up .
The second thing is that you mentioned a "small town" but Uber is only available in the biggest towns in France for now.
At last you need to know that even if you get a French license you'll have to undergo training, then pass two test, theoritical and practical (both are hard btw even for french natives). Then if you do get those you'll have to ask to get the professional card (its like a license) and then register to the VTC registry and then start as either a self employed status or a real enterprise.

So yeah, if you're really willing to do that you can but it'll cost time and money.