1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership.

Queensland Driver Goes Berserk, Runs Over Riders Leg

Discussion in 'Brisbane' started by chi1cabby, Sep 6, 2015.

1. chi1cabby

chi1cabby

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    Sascha Pangallo
    UBER.. YEAH THEY'RE CHEAP
    ~ BUT CAN YOU PUT A PRICE ON YOUR LIFE?

I'm not one to post these long novel Facebook statuses, but I really feel that this needs/should be made public - and put to the people. Yesterday afternoon, I ordered an Uber (as I do on the daily.) Little did I know on this particular afternoon I would be stepping into an Uber with a psychotic/mentally unstable driver aka "Paul". After refusing to put my destination into his GPS he requested my directing (which I had no problem with) however I was on an important phone call and during one of the directions he snapped and screamed at me in a very aggressive manner. He then pulled the car over continued to scream "get out of my car" multiple times whilst getting very physical, grabbing me and trying to drag me out of the car. He soon realised that there were 4 on lookers witnessing the whole thing and yelling that they were calling the police - he then panicked and ran back around to the driver side door, jumped in to his 4WD - and hit the accelerator like an absolute maniac. My door was still open as I was frantically trying to grab my bags out of the car and before I could get away I was thrown to the ground and my leg was being run over.

I have bruises on my arm and leg and a huge burn/severe skin abrasion from where the tyre ran over me. I am currently in hospital for a suspected blood clot and possible broken leg.

For someone who has been 'pro' Uber for so long, I will never use them again. Police are currently trying to shut Uber down as they are unlicensed taxis who claim to do police checks but this cannot be confirmed as there are so many incidents like mine involving their drivers. Some states in Australia have already banned Ubering.

For those of you Ubering on the Gold Coast I will comment a screenshot of his Uber details below. Do not under any circumstances get in the car with him.

Screenshot_2015-09-06-05-41-26.png

Screenshot_2015-09-06-05-42-00.png

Luberon and UberPlates like this.
  2. Instyle

Instyle Moderator

Saw this one, really surprised this didn't make the local media #GoldCoastBulletin

UberPlates and chi1cabby like this.
  3. chi1cabby

chi1cabby

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    I've tweeted this to Andrew Potts from Gold Coast Bulletin and Kay Dibbens from Courier Mail. Perhaps a media outlet will pick the story.

Instyle likes this.
  4. Instyle

Instyle Moderator

Interesting through all the the friends comments, not one mention of Uber in any bad way. Just talk of going directly after the driver with no win no fee injury lawyers.

Usually any dispute with an Uber ride is directed at Uber the parent company responsible for the whole ordeal, no mention of Uber's correspondence or advice on this situation.

5. chi1cabby

chi1cabby

Driving:
    UberTAXI
  6. TheSnowman

TheSnowman

7. UberPlates

UberPlates

Driving:
    UberX
    I guess we'll all be watching this one... I hope the girl is okay...

chi1cabby likes this.
  8. leadcurescancer

leadcurescancer

Driving:
    UberX
    I hope she is not planning to sue or try to claim on Uber's insurance............:oops:
    I do like the comment that there are so many incidents like this that she claims she heard about but kept Ubering anyway.
    If all this is true it is sad and unfortunate.

9. Luberon

Luberon

So far Uber's corporate strategy is taking credit for all that is good, basking in the glory while framing every negative incident as a deranged/criminal driver that is no fault of theirs. There is only so far they can spin this tale especially with ongoing lawsuits regarding their faulty background checks.
    Soon enough the pattern will be impossible to ignore and the ubercorp will run out of excuses.

I predict soon there will be more instances of more such psychotic anger breakdowns with deterioration of driver pay. Also, tens of thousands of drivers racking up miles on their cars may be putting off major and minor car maintenance/repairs because they barely make enough to survive. Besides, full time drivers are putting ever more hours to make ends meet. All these manifest as isolated incidents that in time will become an obvious pattern unless uber makes significant changes to their business practice, which they will never do in the short term.

Instyle likes this.
  10. Instyle

Instyle Moderator

The comments on GC Bulletin fb page are appalling, almost everything post is in support of Uber WTF? o_O

If it happen on a bus, people scream public transport is the worst!
    If it happened in a taxi, people scream Taxi's are dangerous!
    But in an Uber?.. Uber's so great but this Paul guy is scum! One response was, lucky this wasn't in a taxi otherwise she would have been raped as well. Absolute appalling comment :mad:

So many people focusing on the fact he may have drove a Taxi in the past, the regulations obviously ensured why he not driving a Taxi today!

Luberon and chi1cabby like this.
  11. Luberon

Luberon

^^^ It is the Koolaid effect. Uber is the hero savior that does no evil. Travis should enjoy it while it lasts, public perception is a b*tch.

12. Luberon

Luberon

“We have a strict policy to deactivate any partner that exhibits aggressive or abusive behaviour and we have removed this driver from our platform,” Ms Curran said.
    “Safety is our priority and we will work with the authorities on their investigation.”
    ^^^^^16 oz. can of UberBS (slightly overused)^^^^

TwoFiddyMile likes this.
  13. anOzzieUber

anOzzieUber

Driving:
    UberX
    Without knowing the full details of the driver, is it possible that this is what happens when you cut rates to ridiculous levels and end up hiring arseholes because the majority of the really good drivers leave?

What I will say about the story while admitting I'm not a doctor - how can a leg be suspected as being broken? That picture from the GC Bulletin looks like it was taken well and truly after the fact - are our hospitals so bad that they still haven't received the x-rays back to know if the poor girls leg is broken?

Just read the story... he is (but not for long) a holder of a taxi licence.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  14. chi1cabby

chi1cabby

Driving:
    UberTAXI
  15. anOzzieUber

anOzzieUber

Driving:
    UberX
    Wow. Bring on the lawsuit against Uber in this instance. They obviously looked at this taxi driver authority and said he didn't need to get a general DA to drive for Uber. Nice work Uber :rolleyes:

Of course, until Uber is regulated, the state government won't give Uber access to the disqualified DA/Taxi DA drivers database to run daily checks which would have picked this up and meant the incident wouldn't have happened in the first place.

Edit: I wonder why GC Cabs didn't ask the driver to surrender his Taxi DA card to them when they dismissed him?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  16. I presume it works the same way up there.

Authority card is issued by govt. not cab company.

TheSnowman and Instyle like this.
  17. anOzzieUber

anOzzieUber

Driving:
    UberX
    Yeah it's issued by the Government up here too - I would have thought the Government would give powers to the taxi companies and make it mandatory to destroy a taxi DA card when dismissing a driver for a reason that meant he/she could no longer hold that card.

P.S. Just had a look around your new? website. Looks good.

18. That would be the same as a nightclub having the right to destroy a license. It's a task for the issuing body. If anything, the taxi company should have filed a report with the issuing body about the conduct.

Thanks for the feedback on the site. A new, online service centre (online management) is being developed at the moment, but that's about 6 mths away.
    I'm more impressed with my new reporting software I had made up. Certainly gives my brain break compared to the manual method.

19. A drivers authorisation licence, it's history and status is accessed through Queensland Transport. The Taxi company could have dismissed him for any number of offences and barred him from driving. Surrendering his DA was not the problem... UBER assuming it was okay to employ him without checking with QT is the issue. I guess he felt better suited driving for a company that had NO checks and balances.

It was UBER's job to screen him and contact QT.

But the fact remains that the UBER platform in its current cowboy model is a safety hazard. This is just the beggining... Without regulation along the same lines as Taxis, UBER will be a platform for psychopath to meet people... Just as this sad incident proves.