Queanbeyan area

Hi everyone
I am thinking to move Queanbeyan area from Melbourne. I am on Visa and I have to work in regional NSW for at least one year.
I am active Uber driver driver in Melbourne and i am thinking if i continue Uber driving in Queanbeyan until i get some job over there.

Now the question is " it is really worth to drive Uber like just in Queanbeyan area for short term ?

Queanbeyan is like a suburb in Canberra. Impossible to stay in one suburb, you will end up driving all over Canberra.

Is it worth it? That depends on your standards, you won't make much, probably less than a pizza delivery driver. You will however have flexibility.

I would be surprised if Quenbeyan counts as a "regional area".

Jack Malarkey

Hi everyone
I am thinking to move Queanbeyan area from Melbourne. I am on Visa and I have to work in regional NSW for at least one year.
I am active Uber driver driver in Melbourne and i am thinking if i continue Uber driving in Queanbeyan until i get some job over there.

Now the question is " it is really worth to drive Uber like just in Queanbeyan area for short term ?
Muhammad, Uber covers Queanbeyan and other areas in New South Wales near Canberra from Canberra.

To be an accredited driver for Uber in the ACT and nearby areas of New South Wales (including Queanbeyan), you need to have an ACT licence and the car needs to have ACT registration. This requires that you can prove you live in the ACT.

The closest Canberra suburb to Queanbeyan is Oaks Estate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oaks_Estate,_Australian_Capital_Territory

Last edited:
Thanks for helping me guys
Uber is just a backup option for me until i find any job there.
I have Victorian license and with VIC rego plates on the car.

I was calculating the start up cost in order to drive uber in ACT
-In order to drive Uber i need to transfer my current rego to ACT
btw , some one please explain me Pink slip and Green slip ? like which one is the roadworthy certificate and i already have comprehensive insurance.
and how much rego cost in ACT and NSW?

I am only moving there just for 1.5 years and i have permanent address in VIC.
that's why i was bit confused should i change my plates to ACT/NSW or keep my Vic plates on

Jack Malarkey

Last edited:

Jack Malarkey

ACT registration costs depend on a number of factors. To give you an idea, I recently paid a total of $962.60 for 12 months registration and CTP insurance on a Subaru Liberty.

ACT registration costs depend on a number of factors. To give you an idea, I recently paid a total of $962.60 for 12 months registration and CTP insurance on a Subaru Liberty.

in Victoria, rego for Toyota camry cost you around $749 and it can be renew easily.

what are the basic factors. like do we have to purchase rego and CTP insurance together ? or there is any certain options ?

Last edited:

Jack Malarkey

in Victoria, rego for Toyota camry cost you around $749 and it can be renew easily.

what are the basic factories like do we have to purchase rego and CTP insurance together ? or there is any certain options ?
ACT registration (including associated levies) for 12 months for a Toyota Camry is $411.70. On top of this, you need to pay CTP. The cheapest Rideshare Class 25A CTP Insurance is with NRMA and costs $621.70 (see http://www.cmd.act.gov.au/__data/assets/word_doc/0008/820853/CTP-Premium-Attachment-A.doc).

Altogether you're up for $1,033.40. There would also be a one-off road-worthiness inspection fee of $88.20.

An ACT driver's licence costs $180 for five years.

You would then claim back the unused portions of the Victorian charges (minus an administration charge).

The Road Transport Authority ACT is an agent for all approved CTP insurance providers in the ACT (AAMI, NRMA, GIO and Apia) and collects premiums on their behalf at the same time and through the same process as it collects registration fees. You cannot pay an ACT CTP insurance premium direct to the CTP provider.

Uber will approve the car for its platform in Canberra only if the registration certificate confirms you have ride share CTP coverage. This requires the words 'Conditions: ride share' to appear on the certificate. Note that Uber has been fully legal and regulated in the ACT since beginning operations here late last year.

If you have any further questions about ACT registration and CTP insurance, you can telephone the Access Canberra Contact Centre on 13 22 81.

Jack Malarkey

Muhammad, you may be interested to note that UberX fares are (at least currently) higher in Canberra than in Melbourne. The fares in Canberra (with the fares in Melbourne in brackets) are: (1) base fare: $2.35 ($2 in Melbourne); (2) per kilometre: $1.35 ($1) ; and (3) per minute: 45 cents (30 cents). The cancellation fee is $10 and the minimum fare is $6 in both cities.

Last edited:

Skyblue6

Muhammad, you may be interested to note that UberX fares in Canberra are (at least currently) higher in Canberra than in Melbourne. The fares in Canberra (with the fares in Melbourne in brackets) are: (1) base fare: $2.35 ($2 in Melbourne); (2) per kilometre: $1.35 ($1) ; and (3) per minute: 45 cents (30 cents). The cancellation fee is $10 and the minimum fare is $6 in both cities.

the problem is Canberra is much LESS busy than Melbourne but uber here is still ok if u need that little bit extra to pay for the weekend or bills.

Queanbeyan is listed as a rural location hence why the large population of Indians and Pakistanis in Queanbeyan.

Jack
thanks for your help and explaining me everything. I am visiting Queanbeyan next week and will start the process, lets see how things gonna start

Last edited:

Jack Malarkey

You
Altogether you're up for $1,033.40. There would also be a one-off road-worthiness inspection fee of $88.20.

An ACT driver's licence costs $180 for five years.

You would then claim back the unused portions of the Victorian charges (minus an administration charge).

The Road Transport Authority ACT is an agent for all approved CTP insurance providers in the ACT (AAMI, NRMA, GIO and Apia) and collects premiums on their behalf at the same time and through the same process as it collects registration fees. You cannot pay an ACT CTP insurance premium direct to the CTP provider.

Uber will approve the car for its platform in Canberra only if the registration certificate confirms you have ride share CTP coverage. This requires the words 'Conditions: ride share' to appear on the certificate. Note that Uber has been fully legal and regulated in the ACT since beginning operations here late last year.

If you have any further questions about ACT registration and CTP insurance, you can telephone the Access Canberra Contact Centre on 13 22 81.

Jack thanks for your help and explaining me everything. I am visiting Queanbeyan next week and will start the process, lets see how things gonna start[/QUOTE]

You're most welcome, Muhammad. All the best for your visit.

While here, be sure to call in to Uber Support Office for Canberra. The office is at 6/134-136 Gladstone Street, Fyshwick (in Canberra).

Next week, the office will be open on Tuesday 26 July and Wednesday 27 July. The opening hours will be from 10.00 am to 5.00 pm on both days.

In later weeks, the office will be open from 10.00 am to 5.00 pm on Wednesdays only.

Last edited:
It's a regional area. That's why lots of Indians and Pakistanis are there for their visa requirements :smiles:

Plus it's generally a pinch cheaper than Canberra to rent.

Skyblue6.
I really don't want to relocate from Melbourne.
I have two options to choose 'Queanbeyan' or Goulburn.
I am an I.T guy and all the I.T jobs are in Canberra.

Jack Malarkey

Skyblue6

Skyblue6.
I really don't want to relocate from Melbourne.
I have two options to choose 'Queanbeyan' or Goulburn.
I am an I.T guy and all the I.T jobs are in Canberra.

I know! Melbourne is much better! Queanbeyan is better than Goulburn in terms of social, work and uber opportunities. I know you need to come for visa but at least the rent is cheaper in Queanbeyan than Canberra!

UberNoMore

Hi everyone

Hi Fellas. Ive been an Uber Driver in Perth for almost a year. I, as many, has quit as the WA government has told us we have to have an Omnibus /Small Charter Vehicle license now. Vehicles have to be inspected by DOT (Dept of Transport here). And private insurance has to be paid covering yourself, passengers and vehicle. Uber has also flooded the city with ubers. Went from making reasonable money 11 months ago to 50% of that now.

Muhammad, you may be interested to note that UberX fares are (at least currently) higher in Canberra than in Melbourne. The fares in Canberra (with the fares in Melbourne in brackets) are: (1) base fare: $2.35 ($2 in Melbourne); (2) per kilometre: $1.35 ($1) ; and (3) per minute: 45 cents (30 cents). The cancellation fee is $10 and the minimum fare is $6 in both cities.
Thanks Jack - I am just about to start driving with Uber - I didn't know that.

Hello everyone

I am finally moved to Queanbeyan from Melbourne

First step is to change the rego plates and uber requires “Current ACT Registration with the additional consideration for rideshare".

If i am based in Queanbeyan, can i register my car in ACT ?

or NSW plates will also acceptable for Uber ?

Jack Malarkey

Welcome, Muhammad.

My understanding is that Uber requires that you have ACT registration and that you are eligible for ACT registration only if you live in the ACT.

However, I suggest you check in person with Uber in Canberra and with the ACT registration authorities. I have provided details about how to do both these things in earlier comments.