Quality of Pax and YOUR Rating Deactivation By Uber

SharedRideTruther

True Story.

Got a ping in my first 3 weeks of 'Ubering' during a Panthers football game.

I was 'Young in Uber', and naive.

Like most 'baller towns' the areas of pickup get traffic ugly, during drops and pickups.

I just didn't realize I had to also account for drunk idiots (who could also RATE me)

Take a moment and LOOK at the pic below, then I will share my story below.

crazy driver stories.png

The pax pinged me, I accepted, and drove to her.

I was new to Uber, so I mistakenly believed the pax had a freakin idea of life's challenges.

I drove toward the pick up (far left arrows of the pic), and saw right away no left turn was allowed down the street.

I called the pax, and told her the road was blocked, and could she come to a corner and meet me?

She said "I know where I am, and NO, you need to come get me"!

Again, I was 'Uber New', so I thought I must be missing something.

I drove down to the first left turn (shown on the pic), and while sitting in TRAFFIC waiting to make the next left I called again and told her the road was blocked.

She again proceeded to tell me how she "knew where she was, and I had to come to her".

I did NOT KNOW at this precious point of our dialogue that I could cancel on her drunk ass for my 12 minute wait, and get 5 bucks (ok, less after Uber fees)

So I called back.

I hate to admit I did that, so please don't judge me harshly, you Uber forum savages, you.

I circled the block again, and was FINALLY able to convince 'Buffy' to walk to a corner that wasn't blocked, and she met me there, with another VERY drunk 'Tiffany'.

My rating took a drunk hit that day, (only cause I didn't know about the 5 minute cancel terms), and they were both horrible pax.

I've actually seen more female pax drunk beyond belief than dudes, which is scary, since I have daughters.

BTW, this was a 10 dollar fare (before Uber fees) when Buffy and Tiffany were done wasting my time, with NO TIP.

I was in traffic for 35 minutes total, before my Uber cut.

And I began to see the Uber truth, with this 'run'...

Another Uber Driver

You learned your lesson. That is the purpose of experience. You now know not to accept ball pings. If you do, you call the customer and make sure that he is willing to leg it, a bit. You know to cancel if they have an attitude on the telephone or are drunk. Yes, you can read this in numerous places on these boards, but now that it has happened to you, you will be aware that not everything posted here is the solid waste of a male bovine.

"Experience is a teacher, but what really makes me burn is she's always teaching me the things I do not care to learn".

D Town

As has been stated, there is no hate for someone who makes mistakes and LEARNS from them. You made several - as we ALL do when new to ANYTHING - and now you know better. The huge events like that are almost never worth the trouble. Its been worth it on ONE occasion for me.

Oscar Levant

True Story.

Got a ping in my first 3 weeks of 'Ubering' during a Panthers football game.

I was 'Young in Uber', and naive.

Like most 'baller towns' the areas of pickup get traffic ugly, during drops and pickups.

I just didn't realize I had to also account for drunk idiots (who could also RATE me)

Take a moment and LOOK at the pic below, then I will share my story below.

View attachment 16883

The pax pinged me, I accepted, and drove to her.

I was new to Uber, so I mistakenly believed the pax had a freakin idea of life's challenges.

I drove toward the pick up (far left arrows of the pic), and saw right away no left turn was allowed down the street.

I called the pax, and told her the road was blocked, and could she come to a corner and meet me?

She said "I know where I am, and NO, you need to come get me"!

Again, I was 'Uber New', so I thought I must be missing something.

I drove down to the first left turn (shown on the pic), and while sitting in TRAFFIC waiting to make the next left I called again and told her the road was blocked.

She again proceeded to tell me how she "knew where she was, and I had to come to her".

I did NOT KNOW at this precious point of our dialogue that I could cancel on her drunk ass for my 12 minute wait, and get 5 bucks (ok, less after Uber fees)

So I called back.

I hate to admit I did that, so please don't judge me harshly, you Uber forum savages, you.

I circled the block again, and was FINALLY able to convince 'Buffy' to walk to a corner that wasn't blocked, and she met me there, with another VERY drunk 'Tiffany'.

My rating took a drunk hit that day, (only cause I didn't know about the 5 minute cancel terms), and they were both horrible pax.

I've actually seen more female pax drunk beyond belief than dudes, which is scary, since I have daughters.

BTW, this was a 10 dollar fare (before Uber fees) when Buffy and Tiffany were done wasting my time, with NO TIP.

I was in traffic for 35 minutes total, before my Uber cut.

And I began to see the Uber truth, with this 'run'...

You know what I do? I avoid picking up at PETCO and QUALCOM stadiums when a game, or concert is happening, like the plague, let other drivers fight the traffic and the blocked roads. I rarely find these profitable. THe exception is, ( since i work the outer 'burbs ) taking people to the games, if they want me to pick them up ( if I'm available ) I have never had a problem getting them to walk to an easy access point to meet me.

Uber Monkey

No hate. Now you see why so many drivers are jaded. Now keep at it and take control of the ride and your car in the future. If a PAX is rude or unrealistic, CANCEL. Nothing good is going to come out of it for you.

Be professional, but don't let passengers disrespect you.

limepro

I started reading this forum before ever signing up, I do that with anything as I prefer real life experience vs simple reviews.

If I'm thinking of purchasing a vehicle I read forums, of course I know most people seek forums out to complain but if you dig far enough there is a wealth of knowledge on them.

I knew not to chase surges, 5 minute cancels, park and wait, etc. Because I spent a week reading here before signing up.

FBM

I'm just grateful I have not experienced something like this yet. I'm a month old now. Now I'm learning more of what to watch for. And the canceling part too! When it's an absolute necessity to cancel the rider. I may not have experienced a drunk. I did have a rider get upset at me. I got pinged. I then show up to his house. Wait a few minutes. He then calls me up, says something like "hey, you can make a U turn". OK, I say. I was thinking the guy was down a couple houses. Driving a few houses down. The guy calls me being mad. Saying "I was just here, and you just started driving away!" Evidently I didn't see the guy. Its a dark street. And he was a black guy. Wondering where he was at. I then found out he was just across the street! DANG! I didn't see the fool. He should have made it more clear to me that he was across the street. Why didn't he just walk across the street! I probably got a low rating that day.

SharedRideTruther

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm just grateful I have not experienced something like this yet. I'm a month old now. Now I'm learning more of what to watch for. And the canceling part too! When it's an absolute necessity to cancel the rider. I may not have experienced a drunk. I did have a rider get upset at me. I got pinged. I then show up to his house. Wait a few minutes. He then calls me up, says something like "hey, you can make a U turn". OK, I say. I was thinking the guy was down a couple houses. Driving a few houses down. The guy calls me being mad. Saying "I was just here, and you just started driving away!" Evidently I didn't see the guy. Its a dark street. And he was a black guy. Wondering where he was at. I then found out he was just across the street! DANG! I didn't see the fool. He should have made it more clear to me that he was across the street. Why didn't he just walk across the street! I probably got a low rating that day.
Good luck in your Uber adventure, my friend.

Be careful, and make the money make sense, or don't log on

PTUber

So in downtown Minneapolis on the weekends (later in the evening generally) they actually close off the 2 main roads for 2 blocks to through traffic. Like ShareRideTruther when I started I got caught up in it a few times no more. However, now what I do when I drop off PAX downtown earlier in the evening I suggest to them to walk a couple blocks outside the barriers to catch their Uber. It will be easier for both sides. All are very appreciative of the advice. Education can help us all.

Oscar Levant

I started reading this forum before ever signing up, I do that with anything as I prefer real life experience vs simple reviews.

If I'm thinking of purchasing a vehicle I read forums, of course I know most people seek forums out to complain but if you dig far enough there is a wealth of knowledge on them.

I knew not to chase surges, 5 minute cancels, park and wait, etc. Because I spent a week reading here before signing up.
good for you
I don't think this forum existed when I started or if it did I didn't know about it.

ocbob2

You know what I do? I avoid picking up at PETCO and QUALCOM stadiums when a game, or concert is happening, like the plague, let other drivers fight the traffic and the blocked roads. I rarely find these profitable. THe exception is, ( since i work the outer 'burbs ) taking people to the games, if they want me to pick them up ( if I'm available ) I have never had a problem getting them to walk to an easy access point to meet me.
You just need to learn where to go. I pick up at venues but I won't wait inside their lot. By the time I decide to turn on the app is when it is surging/peak rates. This means a boatload of people are exiting. These are also great places to meet other drivers and tell them about this site.

IckyDoody

Yeah, thanx to OC Bob I know not to bother with events without surge. And also to call right away, if your pax is unpleasant or thinks you can teleport, cancel.

My first pickup at a large event (Honda center) was no surge. The pin was ambiguously placed directly on top of the building. I didn't call. The pax called me as I was stuck in traffic entering the center throughway, 'were are you, it has said 5 mins for 10 mins' in a @@@@@y tone. I should of canceled right there. So she tells me where she is, I get near her and the path to her location is blocked by cones.... cancel.

ocbob2

Yeah, thanx to OC Bob I know not to bother with events without surge. And also to call right away, if your pax is unpleasant or thinks you can teleport, cancel.

My first pickup at a large event (Honda center) was no surge. The pin was ambiguously placed directly on top of the building. I didn't call. The pax called me as I was stuck in traffic entering the center throughway, 'were are you, it has said 5 mins for 10 mins' in a *****y tone. I should of canceled right there. So she tells me where she is, I get near her and the path to her location is blocked by cones.... cancel.
If you get a ping from the grass of Irvine Meadows, it will take 20 minutes to get to you as you netter be parked outside the area, across from the entrance. It better be at the top surge because you accept a low surge, that 20 minute wait just had it go higher. If you wait that 20 minutes, best to ask, "where you going?" Determine if the wait and surge is worth it. If not, have them cancel or you will collect $5 once the surge goes higher.