PUNK ASS KIDS

phoneguy

Yesterday in Pittsburgh. I pick up the fair and started the trip. As I pull up to the red light, I stop. Light goes green, I see it is clear and start moving. a punk kid on a BMX bike, tries to beat the red light that was red for 5 seconds. I slam on the brakes, stop, and he almost hits my car by the mirror. I roll down the windows and tell him to be more careful and to watch traffic. He begins to insult me, insult the passenger (nice, attractive lady). So I hate to admit it, I got out and cursed him up and down.

I did try to do the customer right, I ended the trip and apologize and explained this is the first time I ever had this happen.

Another Uber Driver

One thing that you avoid, at almost any cost, is showing anger in front of a customer. You do not berate anyone in traffic, no matter how much of a jackwadd he is. Do not tell someone to "be more careful", do not swear at him, do not blast the horn, do not yell at all. If you must do something, mutter, but even avoid that. Never get into a full blown confrontation in front of a customer. It does not matter how much you are in the right and how much the other guy is in the wrong, just do not do it.

It just does not look good.

Oh, and do not end the trip then continue to carry the customer. If you are involved in a collision and there are injuries, there is no coverage.

cleansafepolite

Yesterday in Pittsburgh. I pick up the fair and started the trip. As I pull up to the red light, I stop. Light goes green, I see it is clear and start moving. a punk kid on a BMX bike, tries to beat the red light that was red for 5 seconds. I slam on the brakes, stop, and he almost hits my car by the mirror. I roll down the windows and tell him to be more careful and to watch traffic. He begins to insult me, insult the passenger (nice, attractive lady). So I hate to admit it, I got out and cursed him up and down.

I did try to do the customer right, I ended the trip and apologize and explained this is the first time I ever had this happen.
Im sorry man..but the words "kid" "got out of my car and cursed him up and down"..should not be spoken in the same sentence. I hope after time has passed that you realize you committed a monster act...really uncool. Kids can be horrible, but you should never match them or one-up them..what were you thinking? getting out of the car? Pax or not this was wrong.

Fauxknight

Rage much? You need to calm down dude. When this happens to me I give the gentlest tap of the horn and laugh with the pax about how I almost ran that kid over.

Oscar Levant

While I am sympathetic, leaving your car with pax inside car to curse at the cyclist is a serious mistake on so many levels, I don't know where to begin. It's one thing to be mad at punk ass kids, but becoming one isn't the answer.

Fauxknight

Actually I did get out of my car once with a pax in it. Traffic was at a huge standstill (people were getting out of cars to pee behind buildings) because of a concert and if I could have gotten the truck in front of me to move just a foot or so out of the way (they were in the middle of an intersection) I could turn into a non congested lane and get out of there. They pretended not to see me waving them to move a couple of feet and refused to even look in my direction while I knocked on their window. Seeing as how they were being purposefully ignorant I got back in my car and waited.

MikesUber

Fellow Pittsburgh driver, where was this at?

RamzFanz

I react to prevent an accident and let the pax take the lead @@@@@ing about the other person. It's a bonding thing. They almost always thank me for my diligence. No reason to turn it negative. Nothing good can come from raging.

Transporter33

M

Never end the trip if costumer inside dude something happends insurense will not cover, costumer will sue the crap our of u, u will pay all ur life to that costumer

Im sorry man..but the words "kid" "got out of my car and cursed him up and down"..should not be spoken in the same sentence. I hope after time has passed that you realize you committed a monster act...really uncool. Kids can be horrible, but you should never match them or one-up them..what were you thinking? getting out of the car? Pax or not this was wrong.
Yep, let's keep enabling disrespect and irresponsible behavior from some of our youth. You may have saved that idiots life by making him think twice the next time he's got a notion to run a red light. You did the right thing. I'm sure you've gotten less than 5 stars for much less.

Tenzo

Hey, I was thinking of a service.

Someone pukes, pees, whatever in your car.
I meet you with my SUV at an open space. Document the situation. Clean up, detail the car, take the oder out, freshen the car and you are off.
$45. 15 minutes or less

cleansafepolite

Yep, let's keep enabling disrespect and irresponsible behavior from some of our youth. You may have saved that idiots life by making him think twice the next time he's got a notion to run a red light. You did the right thing. I'm sure you've gotten less than 5 stars for much less.
Im sorry, i dont condone cursing at children, i certainly dont condone somebody getting out of thier car to intimidate a child. If i ever witnessed something like this happening i would thrash and stomp the adult without a second thought. I would feel good about it too.

Another Uber Driver

Ending the trip in the app by you or the pax has zero affect on insurance. But you already know this.

Work with me, on this one. I am not attempting to start a flame war, a name calling contest, a debate, Uber vs. Taxi, point out errors or even necessarily disagree with you. I want to do a scholarly examination of this (or as "scholarly" as anyone can be on uberpeopledotnet). I am going to ask questions along the way. I will ask them because I want to know, or develop an answer. You seem interested in the topic of insurance, as am I.

My policy will cover me on this, if James River will not pay, so, for me, it is not a big deal. There are others out there, who may not have coverage.

Question One would be: "If you end a trip, but continue to carry the passenger, are you carrying him "off-application'?

I would suspect that you are, as the trip has ended, therefore the passenger is no longer a paying passenger. Keep in mind, as I proceed, that you are still logged on to the Uber application. While logged in, but not assigned, nor carrying a paying passenger, you are still carrying a passenger. This appears to me to be corollary to the "co-pilot" situation upon which Uber frowns. I suspect that James River does not cover non-paying passengers, but I do not recall what, if anything, I read about it when I read the policy way back when. Most commercial policies cover non-paying passengers only in specific or narrow circumstances.

For purposes of this discussion, I am going to assume coverage in Period One, despite the presence of language that I do not "like" in the chart that you posted on another topic. There is no necessity to debate coverage or none in Period One, for purposes of this discussion, at least. In fact, while on the subject, if too many posters take offence at the hijacking of this topic, we can move the discussion to an Insurance topic.

Im sorry, i dont condone cursing at children, i certainly dont condone somebody getting out of thier car to intimidate a child. If i ever witnessed something like this happening i would thrash and stomp the adult without a second thought. I would feel good about it too.
Really? I don't know how anyone could feel good about sitting in a jail cell.