• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Public transport Brisbane: Free bus travel, followed by strike

QLDUberDriver

Public transport Brisbane: Free bus travel, followed by strike

BRISBANE bus drivers are refusing to collect fares on Thursday this week before going on strike during Friday peak hour as as a bitter feud with council intensifies.

Rail, Tram and Bus Union spokesman Tom Brown said bus union drivers would refuse to collect fares for the whole day on Thursday as part of ongoing industrial action.

Then on Friday, members will strike for the second time in two weeks. This time the strike will last for four hours, between 2-6pm.

Lord Mayor Graham Quirk said the RTBU’s move to shut down fare collection — including go card facilities — as part of protected industrial action would sting ratepayers up to $515,000.

He called on drivers to put the safety of 23,000 children first instead of adhering to the union’s strike call from 2pm to 6pm on Friday.

“I urge parents and schools to ensure alternate arrangements are made to ensure the safety of school children on Friday afternoon,” he said.

“While the school-run services will be our operational priority, most school children catch normal bus services.”

Cr Quirk warned the impacts would likely be felt from 1pm to 7pm on Friday but council would be increasing CityCat services to help make up for the shortfall in buses.

Drivers walked off the job on Tuesday and Wednesday last week between 4.30-6.30am as part of industrial action after enterprise bargaining agreements with council soured.

The union has been arguing for more security on buses, better pay and more input into the rostering system since the previous enterprise baragaining agreement expired in October last year.

Cr Quirk said the union had rejected council’s offer to meet this Friday because of “other committements”.

RTBU spokesman Tom Brown refused to return requests for comment because he was “at a function”.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/public-transport-brisbane-free-bus-travel-followed-by-strike/news-story/0be822b644c075d24d3031511386c672

clintz

non event

they will do free travel thursday, by lunch time, government will loose plot and bend over, no strike friday.

also, all the drivers out, so no surge, any other non news events happening.???

Bandy

way too many drivers, annoyed the hell out of regular drivers, I had the worst 10-12 ever on a friday, not very happy at all. people if you hear things, and join in,. less likely of surge
so if I hear things, don't join in?:confused:

BabyBoomer

way too many drivers, annoyed the hell out of regular drivers, I had the worst 10-12 ever on a friday, not very happy at all. people if you hear things, and join in,. less likely of surge
Yes clintz, when I saw it wasn't busy I stayed home so I didn't upset things for the regular drivers like you.

Hope it wasn't too bad for you. I survived on boiled Cabbage (cheap and healthy) and watched free TV down at JB HiFi all day. :p

I'm fine though -bit skinny maybe ...but thanks for asking. :rolleyes:

BB

clintz

Yes clintz, when I saw it wasn't busy I stayed home so I didn't upset things for the regular drivers like you.

Hope it wasn't too bad for you.

BB
not at all, took 2 hrs to explain to cat why we are having home brand cat food and why i wasn't eating, but did make $45 from a homeless sign and sitting on queent street mall, will make more monday, now I am allowed to sell the big issue. but glad you asked, thank you

Bandy

not at all, took 2 hrs to explain to cat why we are having home brand cat food and why i wasn't eating, but did make $45 from a homeless sign and sitting on queent street mall, will make more monday, now I am allowed to sell the big issue. but glad you asked, thank you
lol...

Thing

That boiled cabbage would've ensured people weren't infringing your personal viewing space, surely?
You might be sucessful in claiming 20 bucks from Ooober for noxious smells left in the car... almost like a spew .... its an AIR spew

State the pax deeply penetrated your cloth seats with their highly offensive flatulence that has required you to spray the offending car seats with Glen 20 & nice smelly stuff... even though you're too blame :cool:
Take photo's of yourself gagging in your own car.... :eek::biggrin: