PSA:If you quit rideshare and have an active HST number...

Judgeetox

Make certain you call CRA and terminate your number. OR file your HST as zero yearly if you hadn’t made any ‘sales’

Made the mistake of not doing that for another business years ago and got a bill for tens of thousands. CRA will automatically calculate what you should pay in HST if you don’t file with that number. I never filed after closing the business and I simply had to call them and it was straightened out in a couple of days. It was shocking at first to get a bill from CRA for that much!

Last edited:

dmoney155

Make certain you call CRA and terminate your number. OR file your HST as zero yearly if you hadn’t made any ‘sales’

Made the mistake of not doing that for another business years ago and got a bill for tens of thousands. CRA will automatically calculate what you should pay in HST. I never filed after closing the business and I simply had to call them and it was straightened out in a couple of days. It was shocking at first to get a bill from CRA for that much!
LOL, yeah that sounds like Canada CRA alright.

Judgeetox

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
LOL, yeah that sounds like Canada CRA alright.
No doubt. They waited 5 years after the fact until they contacted me. I almost had a heart attack when they told me my outstanding balance was $59,000.

...after filing for those years, it became zero...but still

Karl Marx

I did that right after I quit. Still had to pay 150 dollars because I didn't do it until a few weeks after the start of the year. The work can all be done online. It was a bit cumbersome and understand they have made some software improvements. The agent that answered my phone query actually helped me do the online forms, while I was on the phone with him. Took about 15 minutes. One of my few good interactions with CRA agent. As it turned out I got my money back.

Made the mistake of not doing that for another business years ago and got a bill for tens of thousands. CRA will automatically calculate what you should pay in HST if you don’t file with that number. I never filed after closing the business and I simply had to call them and it was straightened out in a couple of days. It was shocking at first to get a bill from CRA for that much!
Hi there, couple questions come up to my mind

let say I only did once for ridesharing, and the rest I did was delivery which doesn't collect HST, so when we file the HST, we just file that portion of the HST from the ridesharing? it's like 1.68 dollars for me now. Does it looks weird when CRA looks at this? since the revenue we make versus the Hst has a big big gap
Post automatically merged:

I did that right after I quit. Still had to pay 150 dollars because I didn't do it until a few weeks after the start of the year. The work can all be done online. It was a bit cumbersome and understand they have made some software improvements. The agent that answered my phone query actually helped me do the online forms, while I was on the phone with him. Took about 15 minutes. One of my few good interactions with CRA agent. As it turned out I got my money back.
Don't we need to wait for 1 full year until we can close the HST account?

Judgeetox

Hi there, couple questions come up to my mind

let say I only did once for ridesharing, and the rest I did was delivery which doesn't collect HST, so when we file the HST, we just file that portion of the HST from the ridesharing? it's like 1.68 dollars for me now. Does it looks weird when CRA looks at this? since the revenue we make versus the Hst has a big big gap
Post automatically merged:

Don't we need to wait for 1 full year until we can close the HST account?
You should really ask an accountant. However, I do know that you’re only obligated to pay any HST you have collected. It should be on your statement from Uber how much HST was collected and paid to you.

You should really ask an accountant. However, I do know that you’re only obligated to pay any HST you have collected. It should be on your statement from Uber how much HST was collected and paid to you.
Ya, because I only did one rideshare trip so far, and that's the only trip I have collected the HST, and that's the only HST I see on the statement.

By the way, I just wonder don't we need to wait for 1 full year until we can close the HST account?

Judgeetox

Ya, because I only did one rideshare trip so far, and that's the only trip I have collected the HST, and that's the only HST I see on the statement.

By the way, I just wonder don't we need to wait for 1 full year until we can close the HST account?
I don’t know. Ask an accountant

xyxmt

That is right, if you dont cancel your HST number and forget to file every year you will get surprised by CRA, Like I was with $21,000 bill last year...but its very easy to fix just call and they will send you forms to refile.

That is right, if you dont cancel your HST number and forget to file every year you will get surprised by CRA, Like I was with $21,000 bill last year...but its very easy to fix just call and they will send you forms to refile.
21000 is too much, how many years were there?