Proximity and Pings

dgates01

Maybe on the Sundays, when there are a lot of drivers out, they try to cycle through the drivers online, irregardless of proximity.

I was online, but taking a short break in a Krispy Kreme, eating some donuts with my tip money. I literally heard the UE request come into to their system, watched as the box was placed in the usual UE pick-up area, then watched again after a few minutes when another EU driver came in to get it.

Oh well.

Rickos69

Yeah, any attempt to figure out how they assign trips is pure speculation.
Like a month goes by and I don't get pinged for a number of restaurants, and then in one day I get 4-5. Hanging out in the exact same area.
Does that mean that for a month they didn't have Uber orders?

Launchpad McQuack

Yeah, any attempt to figure out how they assign trips is pure speculation.
Like a month goes by and I don't get pinged for a number of restaurants, and then in one day I get 4-5. Hanging out in the exact same area.
Does that mean that for a month they didn't have Uber orders?

You probably don't remember, but there was a time when I was convinced that Uber favored drivers that were driving away from the restaurant. I had seen it enough that I was convinced that it was not a coincidence. I even had a little bit of statistical data to back it up. Well, shortly after that my hypothesis completely fell apart. Either Uber changed their ping algorithm, or I was just seeing patterns in the random. I don't know which.

amazinghl

Closest ant doesn't get the ping. It's been documented, demonstrated and exploited.

People set their GPS further away from restaurants to get more pick up.

Rickos69

Closest ant doesn't get the ping. It's been documented, demonstrated and exploited.

Agreed. But what you're saying has to do with hacking/cheating the system. The question above, is if anyone can figure out
how UE allocates deliveries.
Although I cannot say that I know how to set my gps position to be different than the one I am actually at, I will try driving a little further away from my hot spot and see what happens.

blondebaedc

You probably don't remember, but there was a time when I was convinced that Uber favored drivers that were driving away from the restaurant. I had seen it enough that I was convinced that it was not a coincidence. I even had a little bit of statistical data to back it up. Well, shortly after that my hypothesis completely fell apart. Either Uber changed their ping algorithm, or I was just seeing patterns in the random. I don't know which.
I can't figure out how the pings work either. They seem to be random. Yesterday, all of my pickups were a good 10 minutes away from where I was located. Like a 10 minute drive for pickup #1 - dropped it off; then pickup #2 was 10 minutes from there, taking me further and further out into the 'burbs. I feel like it might have to do with getting drivers out to an area where there aren't a lot of drivers for that time period? IDK, but it *is* one of the many unanswerable questions I ponder on before I fall asleep at night. ?

Launchpad McQuack

I can't figure out how the pings work either. They seem to be random. Yesterday, all of my pickups were a good 10 minutes away from where I was located. Like a 10 minute drive for pickup #1 - dropped it off; then pickup #2 was 10 minutes from there, taking me further and further out into the 'burbs. I feel like it might have to do with getting drivers out to an area where there aren't a lot of drivers for that time period? IDK, but it *is* one of the many unanswerable questions I ponder on before I fall asleep at night. ?

Are you still accepting pretty much every ping that they throw at you, or have you started screening requests yet? I generally reject 10-minute pickups unless there is a reason that I want to go in that direction.

blondebaedc

Are you still accepting pretty much every ping that they throw at you, or have you started screening requests yet? I generally reject 10-minute pickups unless there is a reason that I want to go in that direction.
I screen. On Friday night I declined 3 mall pickups and 1 pickup that was 15 minutes away in downtown DC (I was in Arlington, on the other side of the river). But when I drive after work and before I pick up my kid, my time is pretty limited, so I tend to take the pings that I get since its a weird in between time (3:45-5:15) and I try to get as much UE work in as I can during that time frame. Of course, yesterday, I hit some dumb f-cking construction traffic & that put a damper on things.

Rickos69

I screen. On Friday night I declined 3 mall pickups and 1 pickup that was 15 minutes away in downtown DC (I was in Arlington, on the other side of the river). But when I drive after work and before I pick up my kid, my time is pretty limited, so I tend to take the pings that I get since its a weird in between time (3:45-5:15) and I try to get as much UE work in as I can during that time frame. Of course, yesterday, I hit some dumb f-cking construction traffic & that put a damper on things.
Better that than police directing traffic after an accident.

YourFoodIsGettingCold

I think it's hard to pin point because Uber likely has to keep changing the ping algorithm as demand increases and decreases. I imagine this can occur weekly, daily, and probably hourly depending on the market. We already know they work on annual forecasts from the previous year, however there are too many random instances in which it doesn't matter whether you're parked, or driving away.

kiltedcameraman

I know for a fact that this isn't true. Three if the last four Sundays, I logged on while parked outside of the same restaurant. First pickup, right there. The fourth Sunday, another place a block away. Also, once (just to see if I was really getting all my tips) I had my wife order from another place where I was parked, sure enough, I got that one too (and my tip).

Now this doesn't always work. I was having a really slow Sunday, so I parked outside and Indian place that I usually make 2-3 stops at on Sunday nights. I saw at least 5 other drivers (don't know which service since they use UE, DD and GH), before I got a ping.

YourFoodIsGettingCold

I know for a fact that this isn't true. Three if the last four Sundays, I logged on while parked outside of the same restaurant. First pickup, right there. The fourth Sunday, another place a block away. Also, once (just to see if I was really getting all my tips) I had my wife order from another place where I was parked, sure enough, I got that one too (and my tip).

Now this doesn't always work. I was having a really slow Sunday, so I parked outside and Indian place that I usually make 2-3 stops at on Sunday nights. I saw at least 5 other drivers (don't know which service since they use UE, DD and GH), before I got a ping.

Exactly. This is why I think the algorithm changes and changes often to support the current demand of the market.