• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Providing sweets and Water Backfired

Christinebitg

Regarding the 911 button:

Contrary to what Uber originally told us, it does NOT actually call 911 or the police. Uber has since then changed the wording in the app.

They now say that if you have a real emergency, use your phone to call 911 directly.

I don't know what the emergency phone number is in Oz. I do know that in the UK, it's 999.

Christine

dauction

Regarding the 911 button:

Contrary to what Uber originally told us, it does NOT actually call 911 or the police. Uber has since then changed the wording in the app.

They now say that if you have a real emergency, use your phone to call 911 directly.

I don't know what the emergency phone number is in Oz. I do know that in the UK, it's 999.

Christine

Thanks Christine.. I guess we need some more clarity from Uber... IN the States 911 is the emergency number and they not take it lightly if you use it for non emergencies...... I'll send Uber a message see what number the Panic button goes to (911 or local police non emergency)

Danny3xd

I have called twice. Gave up after 10+ minutes both times.

"The safety center features are aimed at riders, not drivers, but Kansal said that a similar panic button for drivers would be added soon. After all, riders can be belligerent, too. He said the presence of panic buttons in the app would hopefully deter both riders and drivers from behaving badly."

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/29/17402172/uber-911-panic-button-app-live-us

So, if attacked or in danger, I'd suggest calling directly. Also, there are 3rd party apps;

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS785US785&biw=1216&bih=690&ei=svrAW9LuFqSV_QahsLLIAQ&q=911+panic+button+app&oq=911+panic+button+app&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0..9836...0.0..0.0.0.......0......gws-wiz.FaDJt1l_G-I

x100

AS a Taxi driver I took a guy to his car once (Main Street Santa Monica) and actually waited and got him water (mind you wasn't uber but taxi ) from the store so he don't drive away and he even attempted to do so. He was really gone, bastard wasn't nice to me either. 20 min into it, I wished he were taught a costly lesson from the system but he could have taken lives/injured others had he started the car. Alcohol beyond certain level is poison for some. I really gave like 45 min, knew if I called the cops he would be in trouble coz he was in the car and I did tell him not to put the key in ignition. A cop would not take that chance nor babysit him.

Saturday just gone I was doing my shift as per normal, when a rather intixicated individual got in the car .

I had done music going and did my usual greet of “ Hi , how you goin ?
There’s sweets in the tray and water in the cup holders and a phone charger if you need it .
I then started on my way
About ten minutes into drive I felt something in my neck and didn’t realise but the rider was spitting sweets at me .

I couldn’t even fathom what was going on but this rider was about to get out of my car . I turned off the app and said this ride finishes now . Get the f- out of my car you animal .
I would say drug affected .
I finally got to use the safety button as he refused to get out and was getting hit under the collar .
This never worried me cause I’ve way or the other he was getting out of car.

I couldn’t believe how quick police turned up and told them what happened which he was arrested
I had to go to station to do report and also report to Uber .
The officer said spitting is the same as assault ing someone and this will be taken very seriously .
I still can’t bekieve someone could be such a grub but that’s what happened . Thank goodness 99.999 percent of people are great .
I have very thick skin and love getting people home , but not at this cost

Danny3xd

AS a Taxi driver I took a guy to his car once (Main Street Santa Monica) and actually waited and got him water (mind you wasn't uber but taxi ) from the store so he don't drive away and he even attempted to do so. He was really gone, bastard wasn't nice to me either. 20 min into it, I wished he were taught a costly lesson from the system but he could have taken lives/injured others had he started the car. Alcohol beyond certain level is poison for some. I really gave like 45 min, knew if I called the cops he would be in trouble coz he was in the car and I did tell him not to put the key in ignition. A cop would not take that chance nor babysit him.
Good job!

Had a drunk lawyer rear end me at a red light at the bottom of a mountain. (CT version)

He put the engine of his brand new car in his passenger seat.

I tell him to calm down and I offer to get him coffee or water. "No, no. Call the cops!"
Back and forth. But cops come and he's in cuff after second sentence out of his mouth.

LoL, yelling at em that I didn't signal. He didn't know we were at a light. Poor SOB.

But glad I tried. It's not about them. (Anyway)

Christinebitg

Thanks Christine.. I guess we need some more clarity from Uber... IN the States 911 is the emergency number and they not take it lightly if you use it for non emergencies...... I'll send Uber a message see what number the Panic button goes to (911 or local police non emergency)
I'm located in the US. That is, if you consider Texas to be part of the US. :wink:

The reason I mentioned Australia is because the OP is located there.

Christine

henrygates

Saturday just gone I was doing my shift as per normal, when a rather intixicated individual got in the car .

I had done music going and did my usual greet of “ Hi , how you goin ?
There’s sweets in the tray and water in the cup holders and a phone charger if you need it .
I then started on my way
About ten minutes into drive I felt something in my neck and didn’t realise but the rider was spitting sweets at me .

I couldn’t even fathom what was going on but this rider was about to get out of my car . I turned off the app and said this ride finishes now . Get the f- out of my car you animal .
I would say drug affected .
I finally got to use the safety button as he refused to get out and was getting hit under the collar .
This never worried me cause I’ve way or the other he was getting out of car.

I couldn’t believe how quick police turned up and told them what happened which he was arrested
I had to go to station to do report and also report to Uber .
The officer said spitting is the same as assault ing someone and this will be taken very seriously .
I still can’t bekieve someone could be such a grub but that’s what happened . Thank goodness 99.999 percent of people are great .
I have very thick skin and love getting people home , but not at this cost
So what was your experience with the safety button? It called 911 directly? There's been some debate on whether it actually does anything except call Uber customer support.

Morning BH You are still missing the Point .. You used EMERGENCY BUTTON... you didn't have an emergency .....Like I said if you think it's necessary to call the police ..go ahead JUST DONT USE THE EMERGENCY BUTTON
Spitting is classified as an assault. He also said he refused to get out of the car, which means he was also trespassing. OP would have no legal way of physically removing the pax without putting himself at risk of being charged with a crime, so he 100% did the right thing.

The cops seem to agree, because they arrested him.

New2This

So what was your experience with the safety button? It called 911 directly? There's been some debate on whether it actually does anything except call Uber customer support.
I can just see it now. Uber emergency support...

Rohit: tenk you por collink Oobair driber subbort. By nabe ees Rohit but you please to call me Jim. How bay I hep you?

Me: A passenger just stabbed me. I need police and an ambulance

Rohit: I am berry sorry to hear dat. You are a baluable bartner. What version of dee opp do you hab?

Me: I'm ****ing bleeding because a passenger just stabbed me.

Rohit: Dat ees unportunate. Eef you to please upgrade to the new opp I beleeb dees issue will be resolved.

Me: I NEED A GODDAMN AMBULANCE NOW!!!!

Rohit: Deed you try to uninstall and reinstall the opp?

Me: *gurgle gurgle* dies

Rohit: I'm glad we could resolve dees. Please to hold por a very short surbay. Tenk you por using Oobair Subbort

Immoralized

In Australia the emergency phone operators have 4 tiers of priority.
One been immediate response required. Two been respond if personnel available. Three usually respond same day or next day and Four usually no response.

During the day police presence in Australia is pretty overwhelming and a lot of police is available. After midnight it about the opposite especially in poorer suburbs where response might be next day.

The emergency phone operators get it right 99% of the time and they decide if it an emergency or not. In case of a passenger that spitting and refusing to leave the car the OP had little choice but to reach out for police assistant.

I don't know about America but over here in Australia riders are pretty out of control.
Uber passenger violently assaulted driver in confronting altercation
https://www.9news.com.au/2018/09/26/16/46/uber-driver-attacked-sydney-cctv-video-passenger-assault

Stevie The magic Unicorn

In Australia the emergency phone operators have 4 tiers of priority.
One been immediate response required. Two been respond if personnel available. Three usually respond same day or next day and Four usually no response.

During the day police presence in Australia is pretty overwhelming and a lot of police is available. After midnight it about the opposite especially in poorer suburbs where response might be next day.

The emergency phone operators get it right 99% of the time and they decide if it an emergency or not. In case of a passenger that spitting and refusing to leave the car the OP had little choice but to reach out for police assistant.

I don't know about America but over here in Australia riders are pretty out of control.
Uber passenger violently assaulted driver in confronting altercation
https://www.9news.com.au/2018/09/26/16/46/uber-driver-attacked-sydney-cctv-video-passenger-assault
They did this stuff to taxi drivers to, it just never made the news before... cause uber is a world wide brand with a million drivers, not podunkville yellow cab with 44