• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Providing 1099s

Launchpad McQuack

This is a little off topic as it doesn't directly pertain to Uber/rideshare/delivery, but it is something that I never would have even thought about had I not started delivering for Uber Eats. Uber is required to issue a 1099-K to me (and the IRS) if they process transactions on my behalf in excess of $20,000 and a 1099-MISC if they directly pay me more than $600. Am I, as an individual, required to abide by the same rules if I hire a contractor to do something? For example, lets say the windows in my house are leaking so I hire a contractor to come in and install new windows and I pay him $10,000 for the work. Am I supposed to issue a 1099 for the $10,000 that I paid the contractor? This never even would have crossed my mind before I started driving for Uber.

UberTaxPro

Sponsor
This is a little off topic as it doesn't directly pertain to Uber/rideshare/delivery, but it is something that I never would have even thought about had I not started delivering for Uber Eats. Uber is required to issue a 1099-K to me (and the IRS) if they process transactions on my behalf in excess of $20,000 and a 1099-MISC if they directly pay me more than $600. Am I, as an individual, required to abide by the same rules if I hire a contractor to do something? For example, lets say the windows in my house are leaking so I hire a contractor to come in and install new windows and I pay him $10,000 for the work. Am I supposed to issue a 1099 for the $10,000 that I paid the contractor? This never even would have crossed my mind before I started driving for Uber.
Personal services do not fall under the 1099 rules. 1099's are for businesses. There are always exceptions and unusual circumstances...like if you claim a home office deduction on your tax return you may be required to issue a 1099 to a contractor that does more than $600 of work on your house.