1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Protection

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Ubericator, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Ubericator

Ubericator

Driving:
    UberX
    Do you carry any time of self-defense weapon?

I had a couple of times guys getting into my car saying I was their driver but could not verify the info so I asked them to get out, but one of the times the guy was refusing to get out and even tried to convince me that he was with my actual rider who had just gotten in.

I am wondering what are the laws if I pepper spray, tase etc someone that is against my will in my car and refusing to get out?

Also same thing for bitter passengers that I am forced to end the ride because of safety concerns...

HolikDad likes this.
  2. HolikDad

HolikDad

Driving:
    UberX
    I have my CCW so I carry while I drive though I know it's against policy but better safe than sorry.

3. Snowblind

Snowblind

Driving:
    UberSELECT
  4. 1.5xorbust

1.5xorbust

My safety is infinitely more important than any potential deactivation. I am prepared accordingly.

5. Where do you drive just out of curiosity are you in Texas

6. HolikDad

HolikDad

Driving:
    UberX
    No, surprisingly enough I live in Fresno CA but they opened up getting your CCW here like other states do regularly.

7. Yes so cal is ****ed up lol

HolikDad likes this.
  8. HolikDad

HolikDad

Driving:
    UberX
    That's the truth, we moved out in '97 but moved back in '16. We're planning on getting out again in the next 5 or so years.

9. SuzeCB

SuzeCB

Driving:
    UberX
    Laws vary from state to state. Check yours. Uber says no guns or weapons. You can choose to ignore this and know that if anyone finds out about it and reports you, you will probably be permanently deactivated. Of course, if your life is in actual, immediate jeopardy, that weapon will come in handy. Your call.

Find items that can do "double duty". Maglight flashlights, etc.

And for Pete's sake, don't unlock your doors until you're sure the person is your rider!

Julescase likes this.
  10. Ribak

Ribak

Always carry some type of protection. In most cases, the outcome will not be as worse as driving unprotected. I am awaiting a background check and completion of a gun safety course.....prior to keeping a gun. However, I currently have other means of protection.

11. disp350

disp350

First rule - doors always stay locked til I confirm the correct passenger through a sightly lowered window. That aside, I do carry pepper spray, but it's for a last resort if someone were to try and attack me. Need to be very careful before using it as an offensive weapon. If I ever get someone that refused to leave, I would just get out and call the police and let them deal with it. You never know what they could be carrying if you just decide to pull out the pepper spray.

Rakos likes this.
  12. Scott.Sul

Scott.Sul

It is illegal to carry a concealed firearm in places that ban them.
    • If Uber says firearms are banned in "their" cars, and you decide to ignore it, it might open up charges against you.
    • In NC, if you are pulled over you are required by law to inform the officer of your firearm. 99% the pax will be shocked and 100% chance you will be deactivated. Some pax might even try to sue you for "endangering their lives".... don't expect Uber to support you.
    If you feel you must carry a firearm while Ubering, you might want to consider another line of work or change your driving times to safer hours.

I don't carry while Ubering and I also don't Uber during times that might be considered unsafe. Even though, I still tend to be constantly alert and aware of potential hazards around me. Situational awareness is great prevention.
    I only drive limited hours so deactivation wouldn't bother me but I don't feel like inviting charges or lawsuits into my life.

Rakos likes this.
  13. HolikDad

HolikDad

Driving:
    UberX
    Surprisingly not here in CA, even if a business has a posted sign you can ignore it. It’s only illegal on state or Federal property.

14. Texie Driver

Texie Driver

Driving:
    UberX
    not "their" car of course, az law is not on uber's side in this
    gun free workplaces cannot ban employees from keeping weapons in private cars in gun free workplace property parking lot.
    not uber's property or employee at all, i don't think the policy would survive a legal challenge here in the unlikely event one was brought.

edited to add source
    https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix...es-with-guns-what-employers-need-to-know.html

15. merryon2nd

merryon2nd

Driving:
    UberXL
    I personally carry a mag light, and a bag of tools (including a wrecker bar and a sledgehammer), and a sprite blade hidden on my key ring as a key.
    As well as an infinitely sharp tongue that I've used more than anything else. lol
    I can get away with this because I'm a licensed technician, and this car is a work car. I'm technically still labeled as an employee at my last shop, and they adore me enough to CMA in case of a time I'm in need of using anything in my arsenal.

Rakos likes this.
  16. disp350

disp350

I think the point of the original post still needs to be considered: You don't use, pull or display any type of weapon for a pax who won't exit your vehicle. Especially if you have a dash cam. Yes, they may do damage, but it's recorded for the police, Uber and your own personal attorney for you to sue the guts out of them if they do any damage. Just not worth risking yourself over it.

Stav53 likes this.
  17. flyntflossy10

flyntflossy10

Driving:
    UberX
    lol YES please do! Taze the first person you have a minor conflict with, and dont forget to share.

18. Unless you need to shoot someone no one should be able to see it.

And never draw unless you would be justified to shoot.

I'm all for your mag-light idea, bonus if it turns on. A flashlight can be super useful.

Other things to stick in your driver door pocket.

Tire iron- bonus if it fits your lug bolts

Scissors - also useful for cutting open chip bags and hostess packages
    (they will also create gnarly wounds that any good ER will recognize as "scissor wounds" especially if the perp lies to them. IE if the police check the local ERs for scissors wounds you'll have a limited pool of idiots who managed severe scissor stab wounds.

Knitting needles- bonus if you know how to Knit, because hey... something to do between fares.

SuzeCB and Rakos like this.
  19. Texie Driver

Texie Driver

Driving:
    UberX
    31X9TdKgYrL._SX466_.jpg
    product weight: 4 lbs. easily concealed under drivers seat

SuzeCB and Rakos like this.
  20. When you take the CCW course there is a lengthy part of the course that goes over the legality of self-protection and the bottom line is that unless your life is in real danger, you will be the one who goes to jail if you use your gun. Someone can beat the **** out of you and if you shoot them, you are in trouble.

Something to keep in mind.