• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Proper rider etiquette

Steven Ambrose

Being a former driver and now being a rider, I think there are certain rules on the rider side that must be followed, that I know are not.

1. Communicate with your driver. When I take a trip to work, I will actually call the driver and let them know. Because it is 27 miles away and about 35 minutes, most long trip indicators won't pick it up and this will take the driver out of the area. It will also clue them in if they need to stop for gas, coffee, a bathroom break, etc.

2. No slamming of the car doors. Even if you are having a frustrating day, the car belongs to someone else. Be respectful in this.

3. Don't eat in the car. The taco or cheeseburger will be just as good if you wait 10 minutes to get to your location. I don't even bother asking the driver if I can eat in their car because I don't.

4. Program in stops. This is a courtesy and keep the stops brief. No trips to Walmart, no huge shopping trips. Time is money....

5. Tip your driver. Even if it is just $1, it at least says you appreciate what the driver is doing. I am in an area that has less Uber/Lyft drivers and it is nothing for me to get the same driver, 3 to 4 times a month. Trust me, if they see you enough, they will remember if you tip.

6. Order your ride at least 20 minutes ahead of the time you would order it. Bad weather, awful road conditions, being in crowded areas and ordering at night can delay the driver. It is not the driver's fault if you get to work or some other related event late.

7. Treat the driver with respect and as your equal. It burns me when drivers tell me how nasty riders are and there is simply no reason for it. The driver's responsibility is get you where you need to go, not deal with your problems. One driver, here locally, is a mental health counselor and he said it best "I hear about people's problems all day long, I don't need to continue that trend when driving".

I think that covers it for me.

doyousensehumor

Being a former driver and now being a rider, I think there are certain rules on the rider side that must be followed, that I know are not.

1. Communicate with your driver. When I take a trip to work, I will actually call the driver and let them know. Because it is 27 miles away and about 35 minutes, most long trip indicators won't pick it up and this will take the driver out of the area. It will also clue them in if they need to stop for gas, coffee, a bathroom break, etc.

2. No slamming of the car doors. Even if you are having a frustrating day, the car belongs to someone else. Be respectful in this.

3. Don't eat in the car. The taco or cheeseburger will be just as good if you wait 10 minutes to get to your location. I don't even bother asking the driver if I can eat in their car because I don't.

4. Program in stops. This is a courtesy and keep the stops brief. No trips to Walmart, no huge shopping trips. Time is money....

5. Tip your driver. Even if it is just $1, it at least says you appreciate what the driver is doing. I am in an area that has less Uber/Lyft drivers and it is nothing for me to get the same driver, 3 to 4 times a month. Trust me, if they see you enough, they will remember if you tip.

6. Order your ride at least 20 minutes ahead of the time you would order it. Bad weather, awful road conditions, being in crowded areas and ordering at night can delay the driver. It is not the driver's fault if you get to work or some other related event late.

7. Treat the driver with respect and as your equal. It burns me when drivers tell me how nasty riders are and there is simply no reason for it. The driver's responsibility is get you where you need to go, not deal with your problems. One driver, here locally, is a mental health counselor and he said it best "I hear about people's problems all day long, I don't need to continue that trend when driving".

I think that covers it for me.
Toes on curb at the pin.
No false complaints. Let the driver do his job.
Tipping is appreciated.

The rest is egg shell crap.
A good driver is concerned about efficiency rather than the 101 ways he or the pax may get offended. ?‍♂

Steven Ambrose

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
OK, but please be ready to go when the driver arrives.
I am normally out within 1 minute.
Post automatically merged:

Toes on curb at the pin.
No false complaints. Let the driver do his job.
Tipping is appreciated.

The rest is egg shell crap.
A good driver is concerned about efficiency rather than the 101 ways he or the pax may get offended. ?‍♂
I agree. I have had to teach my friends rider etiquette..... some of it just blows their mind. All the stuff is extremely simple stuff to do and I do that stuff all the time.

UbaBrah

I would add just let the navigation do its job and stfu unless it really does get things wrong (happens rarely, but still possible).

Also, don't grill me on politics (I live in the south and am basically forced to nod and agree with all things Republican). And put on your big girl pants and don't gasp every time a car cuts me off or we have a minor traffic situation that may be 1% scary.

Last edited:

Steven Ambrose

I’m already on the curb when I order.

to me, making someone wait is annoyance.
I rarely go to bars anymore, but I am normally out right then and there.
I would add just let the navigation do its job and stfu unless it really does get things wrong (happens rarely, but still possible).

Also, don't grill me on politics (I live in the south and am basically forced to nod and agree with all things Republican). And put on your big girl pants and don't gasp every time a car cuts me off or we have a minor traffic situation that may be 1% scary.
Lol. True that. I hate discussions on politics and religion. One driver asked me what I thought about Trump. I said, "He's the president and it doesn't matter what I think". He then asked who I voted for.... I simply stated I voted and that is all that is important.

SHalester

on the requesting; don't request unless you minutes from toes to curb. Well, maybe one minute.
In the burbs where I drive pax completely surprised when I show up so soon (I pretty much stick to my burb area); they say usually takes driver longer to get to them; well, not today sir/lady.....

5☆OG

nice thoughts OP...not gonna happen people are opportunistic dbags...rude AF and ungrateful...i guess that covers it

Steven Ambrose

Personally, I think asking who you voted for is somewhat rude. I don't get involved in political discussions - the country is far too polarized for me. Besides, the Lyft video series said it was a bad idea.
I tend to heavily agree with you. Acknowledging who the president is or was, whether it was Obama or is Trump and then stating that you voted and it does not matter for whom takes the discussion out of the hands of those that wish to talk politics.
Post automatically merged:

Don't request your ride until you're ready to go.

I live in a big city. I've had riders get in and then say to the person they're with "See how fast they get here? They're everywhere. I learned not to order the ride until I was ready to walk out the door."
Determining where you are can determine how fast a driver can get to you. NYC, LA, SF, DFW, Houston, Miami or other related cities are only 2 minutes away. In Lake County, Fl and here in Flint, the driver is normally 10 minutes away and when I leave work in Frankenmuth, they are normally 15 to 20 minutes away.

IMMA DRIVER

There's no excuse for a pax not being ready. None. They're checking their phone every 4 seconds to see when the driver will arrive and amazingly enough they seem to always make it just before the 5 min mark. If Uber charged $1 per min wait time they would be ready, standing in the rain, snow, tornado, hurricane, psunamy, wild ? or whatever. It would eliminate requests while brushing teeth, while still on the train, paying the bar tab, waiting 'for my friends to come out', type of shyt.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
Apparently the excuse I get from pax most often as to why they were not toes to the curb is they were not watching their phone at the moment and assumed the app would "ping" when I arrived.