• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Promoting candidates with riders

pizza guy

Anybody know Uber's policy about promoting politics inside our vehicle?
As employees they could fire us immediately but as independent contractors I think it's different. I carefully did this collecting signatures for an Illinois constitutional amendment and got a great response. I'd like to openly provide literature for a viable 3rd party presidential candidate.
Anybody have any advice?

WestBurbsMac

I don't think you'll have an issue with Uber unless you are generating complaints. Presenting it professionally and politely (and backing off when the rider doesn't respond well) should be fine.

Also, PM me the information, I'd like to know what you are working on.

pizza guy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Religion and politics during an uber ride are a big no no, even if uber doesn't boot you you'll eventually get booted for the low ratings from everyone who doesn't agree with you
I say this is something that actually gives meaning to a 5 star rating. I'd rather receive 1 star for this than listening to the wrong baseball team like I did last October. I fully expect my ratings to take a hit but at least it means something. Also I primarily drive DuPage so the riders are different than Chicago.

driving312

Like in a bar- no discussion of religion or politics. Automatic 1 star.
Most people in this life have learned this- you are about to learn the lesson and it is awesome you don't care...proves some people just don't get it and will never learn, haha.

Everyone has an opinion but you think yours needs to be pushed on others. You are not a special little snowflake. :smiles:

Love that you tagged your post that it regards: "free speach"
Seriously folks!!:eek::eek:

Last edited:

pizza guy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Most people in this life have learned this- you are about to learn the lesson and it is awesome you don't care...proves some people just don't get it and will never learn, haha.

Everyone has an opinion but you think yours needs to be pushed on others. You are not a special little snowflake. :smiles:

I've actually had a good response about this in conversations started by news radio. I'm certainly not going to preach to them, but simply make reading material prominently available. It'seems a passive let them make the first comment approach. I do a lot of long rides and put my Cooks Illustrated and Sunday Chicago Tribune back there and get a great response. If you've ever had a ride were the customer doesn't want to get out and end the conversation then you'don't understand. Those are the kind of rides that make this job enjoyable and worth doing for the money.

mahatma57

I am hesitant to discuss politics with riders, unless I have an indication that they are on the same page.
I have also found myself turning off NPR for certain PAX, based on their appearance and pickup location. I turn on some jazz, instead of some conversation about female genital mutilation in Nigeria..
I have an iPod with 10k+ songs on it, and when the news gets too dire, I put the iPod on shuffle. If Captain Beefheart comes up and a suit is in the car, I hit forward. It seems to work out well.

WestBurbsMac

I was just listening to the Zappa tune Cosmik Debris. I think Frank and Don smoked a little too much weed together in high school. LOL

ChiGal

I think you can talk about whatever you want in your car. If you don't care about it effecting your rating then go for it.

When pax start talking about certain subjects, I end up rating them poorly if and only if they are distasteful about it.

I'm all for freedom of speech and thought. However being blatantly disrespectful is grounds to be one starred upon exiting my vehicle.

AllenChicago

I picked up this tough looking middle-eastern passenger from a mansion in Barrington and took him to the airport. Enroute, he leaned forward, put his hand on my shoulder, and asked me who I liked in the Presidential race. (This was back in March 2016).

Immediately my mind flashed to that Godfather movie, where the goon leaned forward and killed the front seat passenger using a wire around the poor bastards neck.

Thankfully, I answered his question correctly. He patted my shoulder, said "good man", and reclined back into the seat, speaking highly of this candidate.

75drive

You don't even know the pizza guy so to make the statement you did is totally off base and completely @@@@ing wrong! If you knew him you'd know that he's capable of having an intelligent conversation without being pushy and certainly he would drop it if the passenger wasn't receptive to the conversation. That is typical of your posts though you tend to run your mouth without knowing the facts! I'm certain your mother told you how very special you were / are your entire life but the fact of the matter is you are not special! Know the facts before running the mouth!

BeingStewie

I always talk about life, politics and religion with passengers, most of the time it's prompted by the passengers. I have stayed steady at 8.7-8.9, and I take 60-100 rides a week. My focus though is not to be confrontational, at times make them laugh, happy or hopeful, or simply say "oh I never thought of it that way".

This is the key reason I like ubering/lyfting so I can hone my people skills/reading for my next job, for my life forward. I have been tipped quiet a few times for the great discussions. I think I get bad ratings for not talking or when pax has to pay a high surge fare.

So if you think you have a hang of it, then go ahead. The only way we can improve humanity is by having civil and friendly conversations constantly with each other. If one can affect even one person positively, then isn't it worth it?

75drive

I always talk about life, politics and religion with passengers, most of the time it's prompted by the passengers. I have stayed steady at 8.7-8.9, and I take 60-100 rides a week. My focus though is not to be confrontational, at times make them laugh, happy or hopeful, or simply say "oh I never thought of it that way".

This is the key reason I like ubering/lyfting so I can hone my people skills/reading for my next job, for my life forward. I have been tipped quiet a few times for the great discussions. I think I get bad ratings for not talking or when pax has to pay a high surge fare.

So if you think you have a hang of it, then go ahead. The only way we can improve humanity is by having civil and friendly conversations constantly with each other. If one can affect even one person positively, then isn't it worth it?
I agree! There's no topic that is off limits in my car! I always say hello amd inquire about their day and within a minute whether the want to talk or not! I will not tolerate any type of racist talk or disparaging remarks about any particular group!