Program for keeping track of expenses and income for income tax purposes

UberDanno

I have been looking for an app that will keep track of my income and expenses, most of the apps seemed to be dedicated to our neighbours to the South.

Has anyone found a financial app that suits Canadian needs?

Uber's Guber

Uber drivers only need apps that are dedicated to itemizing expenses.... there's barely any income to categorize. :winking:
Welcome to UP.net! :smiles:

VanGuy

I was just planning to make a spreadsheet. There's going to be all the upfront costs but after that I think it's all just KMs driven that we can expense with the CRA. I'd have to ask an accountant but I don't think you can write off things like oil changes and gas too since you're already writing off the KMs but I could be wrong on that.

UberDanno

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just did some research, again mostly American responses, but holy crap does it look complicated.

Many responses, and all are different.

I forsee an accountant in my future :/

I need a beer :wink:

VanGuy

Always good to have an accountant. And beer, or the hard stuff, depending on the day. :smiles:

EasyRider1

I have been looking for an app that will keep track of my income and expenses, most of the apps seemed to be dedicated to our neighbours to the South.

Has anyone found a financial app that suits Canadian needs?
I've been lurking on the forum for a couple of months and like everyone here, I'm waiting for Uber and Lyft to startup in the lower mainland. In the meantime I've been driving Skip The Dishes, Uber Eats and Door Dash.

To help manage expenses, income and track hourly wages before and after gas costs I've made a spreadsheet. It's been very helpful to also help me track bad shifts vs profitable shifts. The base I use is minimum wage ($13.60) plus $1.40 for wear and tear. So basically I need to earn more then $15/hour after gas costs for the shift to be acceptable. This spreadsheet has been incredibly helpful in determining what orders to take, what times are most profitable and what orders to reject. For example any order that doesn't pay a minimum of $1.00/km is rejected.

I'm sure a spreadsheet like this will help maximize Uber and Lyft earnings. It's all on 1 spreadsheet but broke down the screen cap into 2 separate parts.

Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 11.08.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 11.09.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 11.08.00 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-12-16 at 11.09.57 AM.png

Dekero

Will TRIPLOG not work for you guys? Its an absolutely amazing app for tracking trips.. odometer and start stops as well as maps of each individual trip... I was blown away at the detail for $4 a month or $40 a year. I do think I'm going to get the USB add on for even better accuracy though.. might check it out. Has an option to track transactions as well along with photos of receipts.. I haven't used that yet though...

UberDanno

I've been lurking on the forum for a couple of months and like everyone here, I'm waiting for Uber and Lyft to startup in the lower mainland. In the meantime I've been driving Skip The Dishes, Uber Eats and Door Dash.

To help manage expenses, income and track hourly wages before and after gas costs I've made a spreadsheet. It's been very helpful to also help me track bad shifts vs profitable shifts. The base I use is minimum wage ($13.60) plus $1.40 for wear and tear. So basically I need to earn more then $15/hour after gas costs for the shift to be acceptable. This spreadsheet has been incredibly helpful in determining what orders to take, what times are most profitable and what orders to reject. For example any order that doesn't pay a minimum of $1.00/km is rejected.

I'm sure a spreadsheet like this will help maximize Uber and Lyft earnings. It's all on 1 spreadsheet but broke down the screen cap into 2 separate parts.

View attachment 389473View attachment 389474

Thanks for sharing this, I am liking what I see. :smiles:
Post automatically merged:

Will TRIPLOG not work for you guys? Its an absolutely amazing app for tracking trips.. odometer and start stops as well as maps of each individual trip... I was blown away at the detail for $4 a month or $40 a year. I do think I'm going to get the USB add on for even better accuracy though.. might check it out. Has an option to track transactions as well along with photos of receipts.. I haven't used that yet though...
I will have to check it out.. :smiles:

VanGuy

Your L/100KM is awful high. Are you really only getting 15mpg?

Thanks for the spreadsheet. Always good to see what others are doing. I was only doing Skip and paused that for now but I declined under $1.20/KM.

EasyRider1

Your L/100KM is awful high. Are you really only getting 15mpg?

Thanks for the spreadsheet. Always good to see what others are doing. I was only doing Skip and paused that for now but I declined under $1.20/KM.
I‘m not sure about MPG but do track l/100km. The numbers are high because it’s an SUV. It’ll be an Uber XL vehicle when Uber finally gets going. $1.20 is a good number. I also decline anything under $6.00.

VanGuy

I‘m not sure about MPG but do track l/100km. The numbers are high because it’s an SUV. It’ll be an Uber XL vehicle when Uber finally gets going. $1.20 is a good number. I also decline anything under $6.00.
I'm a little older so haven't fully made the mental conversion and have to use an online converter when I see L/100KM to get to something I know. Typically I decline under $7 but if it's not fast food and it's a slow night I'll take $6+ too sometimes.

Wild Bill Yahoo

I'm a little older so haven't fully made the mental conversion and have to use an online converter when I see L/100KM to get to something I know. Typically I decline under $7 but if it's not fast food and it's a slow night I'll take $6+ too sometimes.
How do you guys know your fare upfront? We don't get that information in the U.S. All we get is a time and direction estimate, which is rarely accurate.

VanGuy

I don't know about the other apps but Skip the Dishes tells you total distance to and from restaurant as well as addresses on both ends and how much you'll make. Plus you have a minute to accept.

EasyRider1

Skip The Dishes is the best and provides all information. DoornDash is 2nd but the weasels provide the distance in miles. I have to remind myself to convert to km fast. Uber Eats as we all know is a joke. They provide a line on a map and number of minutes to get to the restaurant. As Wild Bill said the time is never accurate.

UberDanno

I have done Door Dash once, (to get activated in the system) and once with Uber eats.

I made $14.50 with DD and $6.50 with UE.

The delivery with UE was twice as long for half the payment.

EasyRider1

I have done Door Dash once, (to get activated in the system) and once with Uber eats.

I made $14.50 with DD and $6.50 with UE.

The delivery with UE was twice as long for half the payment.
Often times that's true. Overall you will make more money with Uber Eats vs Door Dash though. Door Dash does not get nearly enough business. I tried them for a week and was very disappointed. They do have the best order $ amounts but far too often you are waiting up to an hour to get your next order. I only use them now as an add on if Skip The Dishes is slow.