1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Profitability in Cedar Rapids

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids' started by Shadowcc, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Shadowcc

Shadowcc New Member

Anyone else struggling with the rate cuts? 14 dollars to drive someone down to iowa city seems like a loss every time i have to do it. Sad thing is it's no worse than doing rides for 2-3 dollars 2-3 times an hour.

ChortlingCrison and bobper like this.
  2. poorbackslider

poorbackslider New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I'm fairly new to UBER but I don't see how anyone makes money doing it at these rates. If it is not on a 2x or more surge it is not even minimum wage. That and the low amount of tippers in Cr makes it worse. UBER could help by allowing tips on the app but apparently they don't want to do that. I started looking at my actual miles vs money made. I drove Monday night and went 3 miles to pick up a guy who was going 6 miles and the fare was $4.36 and no tip. Less that $0.50 a mile and then I was 7 miles from home too. I didn't head home yet, but if I had it would be 15 miles for $4.36 or a whopping $0.29 per mile.

ChortlingCrison and bobper like this.
  3. Jufkii

Jufkii Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    It doesn't "seem" like a loss, it is a loss. If you aren't making close to a buck for every mile you put on your car you are not making a profit. Iowa City runs are money loser's because of the dead miles and so are most airport runs for the same reason.With Uber X the only game in town along with skimpy infrequent surges it's a mostly money losing proposition to be an Uber driver here in CR.Was once a little profitable before January rates cuts,not any more.

bobper likes this.
  4. Shadowcc

Shadowcc New Member

so i'm pretty much just trading in the depreciation of my vehicle for cash in hand now. Yay!

5. ChortlingCrison

ChortlingCrison Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right. Considering a regular cab would charge at least $60-80 dollars (depending on where you drop them in Iowa city). .70/cents a mile is a joke.

6. ChortlingCrison

My cousin did uberx for Cedar Rapids when it was $2/mile, then quit when the rates dropped to 1.20. Hopefully a lot of drivers will quit and uber will be forced to raise the rates.

7. ChortlingCrison

Cedar Rapids is a joke. The main cab companies charge between $3/ 3.50/mile compared to ubers .70/mile.

8. Jufkii

Jufkii Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    You didnt get the good news. Thanks to Ubers generosity a few weeks ago CR is up to a whopping .85 per mile now. Woo Hoo

9. ChortlingCrison

If they would have raised it back up to it's original $2/mile, then I might drive for them.

10. Smitty Diggs

Smitty Diggs New Member

CR sucks in so many ways. Not enough demand, low rates, **** surges, crap tips, barely any awareness of Uber and Lyft, constant violations of terms, fraudulent riders, under aged riders, distrust of new ideas, drunk racist bros... I'm just saving up to move back to a larger market in the West. Drivers are an endangered species anyway. Adapt or die.

11. Jermin8r89

Jermin8r89 Well-Known Member

You would think more blue collar qorkers in middle of the country have their own cars alot more the coastal cities. There for only time you prolly get anything are pax that fo to the bar