Problem with Overheating Phone

Coachman

I picked up a passenger this afternoon and when I went to start the trip I found the following screen on my phone. Apparently my phone had gotten too hot resting up near the dashboard. I had to take it out of its case and hold it in front of the AC vent for a couple minutes before it finally came back to life. I've had smartphones for years and never had this happen. Has this happened to anybody else? It was only about 92 deg today and I've driven in much hotter temperatures.

wk1102

Used to happen regularly to me on my galaxy 4. Anytime
I had it on the charger and the screen on or if i used it outside above 85.

an ac mount for the car fixed the issue for me.

Another Uber Driver

It happens on my Uberfone all the time. In fact, what you posted is what shows on the screen of my Uberfone. What is really funny is that when I take it from the trunk in Winter and turn on the thing, it will tell me that it is too hot, even though it is cold outside (and was cold in my trunk all night).

Ben105

It's quite common here in Sacramento or Las Vegas (I lived in both) and temps often get above 100F in the summer. Got to keep the phone off the dash or suctioned to the window. Vent mount works best and you may have to remove case if the case doesn't let the phone breath.

Tim In Cleveland

Vent mount will keep the air conditioning right on it. Also, get a separate gps and turn off the screen of your phone once the ride begins. It prevents overheating and extends the life of your phone. Phone GPS sucks and you should only use it to double check your other gps.

Reversoul

Yep, like the other drivers are saying, get the magnetic AC phone mount. It will keep your phone cool and they are much easier to use than traditional mounts.

The mount comes with a thin magnet that you place inside your phone case. The mount clip is also magnetic. Then u can place and remove your phone very easily.

U might already know all this, but just figured it was useful info if you hadn't seen this type of mount before.

Bill Collector

Vent mount will keep the air conditioning right on it. Also, get a separate gps and turn off the screen of your phone once the ride begins. It prevents overheating and extends the life of your phone. Phone GPS sucks and you should only use it to double check your other gps.
I usually turn the screen off as well once the trip starts.. But I use Bluetooth headset so still get voice directions. Definitely helps to keep phone cool.

REX HAVOC

You may have a crappy car phone charger. I had the same problem so I went to Frys electronics and got a charger that kicked out more amps and a better usb to micro usb connector and it doesn't overheat anymore.

Ben105

Definitely using a reliable and high-quality charger will make a difference. Poor chargers can cause your phone battery to malfunction or worse, explode. It can also reduce the life of the battery. Better to spend a few more bucks.

Fauxknight

Keep it out of the window, direct sunlight really doesn't help. Use a vent mount or CD player mount to hold the phone steady in a non-window position.

delock51

My mount is right in front of the AC. My phone heats up quick, but the constant AC keeps it cold to the point where if I take it out of the car for a minute, the entire thing fogs up

Oscar Levant

I picked up a passenger this afternoon and when I went to start the trip I found the following screen on my phone. Apparently my phone had gotten too hot resting up near the dashboard. I had to take it out of its case and hold it in front of the AC vent for a couple minutes before it finally came back to life. I've had smartphones for years and never had this happen. Has this happened to anybody else? It was only about 92 deg today and I've driven in much hotter temperatures.

Doesn't putting the cradle phone mount in front of the air conditioner ducts solve this? I've never seen this screen. Also, I have both an android and an Iphone, an the Iphone seems to run hotter, for some reason. But, my Iphone is a 4, and the screen just goes dark when it's too hot, so I switched to my Android, and I've never had this problem.