Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Probably my fault but...

1K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  Smell My Finger 
#1 ·
I run both Uber and Lyft at the same time. If I get a ping from one, I disable the other until I'm dropping off the pax. I'd just finished a Lyft run, turned Uber back on, and got a request. It only took me maybe five minutes to get to the mall for the pick up. As I'm pulling in to the mall, the pax messages asking if I will pick her up at JC Penny at 1600. I look at the clock and it is 1530. I agree to wait, but should another ride come up, I'm taking that one. I had forgotten that I disabled Lyft when I accepted this trip, so I sat there until 1600 with no other trips coming in. A few messages back and forth and she asks me to pick her up at Old Navy. Ugg.. sure. She gets in the truck, I slide the slider over to start the trip. This woman is going .6 miles away to pick up her car at the repair shop!

So for being so nice and waiting almost 30 minutes for this ride I got:

Base: - $1.50
Distance: .6 miles @ $1.17 - .81 cents
Minimum fare supplement: .01 cent
Time: 4.5 minutes @.15/min. .68 cents
Wait time: 16.9 minutes @ .16/min. 2.80.

A grand total of $5.80!

The worst part? Uber made more on that trip than I did!

She was charged $12.28 for the trip. Uber made $3.83 for the 'Service fee' and $2.65 for 'Booking Fee'

I guess I should have said NO to the waiting...

See less See more
#3 ·
(emphasis added)

Ain't no thinking about it. Not only should you have said "no". Not only should you have said "a thousand times no". Not only should you have said "HELL, no!". You should have said "A THOUSAND TIMES HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

We used to have this poster here, @Desert_Driver. I used to disagree with him vehemently on most things. There was, however, one saw that the veterans of these boards all will repeat to you: Always Be Compensated. This is a business. It is not a charity. It is not social welfare. You are not out here to be a nice guy. You are out here to make a profit. Profits come first, last, always and the public BE DAMNED. NEVER DO ANYTHING GRATIS.

You made a newbie mistake. :Learn and do not repeat it. If you run across this again, and, odds are that you will, simply decline. Do not argue. Do not try to get them to tip you in cash. If they complain, and complain they will, there is a checkbox that reads "Driver demanded cash". Even though you demanded it only as a tip, that is immaterial to Uber or Lyft. You will get one warning, if you are lucky on that. If they offer the cash, take it. Do not even hint at it, though. Simply decline. If they tell you that they will tip you in-application, simply decline. Most who promise to do that never keep it. Do not tell the that, simply decline to do it.

Welcome to YouPeaDotNet.

#5 ·
I run both Uber and Lyft at the same time. If I get a ping from one, I disable the other until I'm dropping off the pax. I'd just finished a Lyft run, turned Uber back on, and got a request. It only took me maybe five minutes to get to the mall for the pick up. As I'm pulling in to the mall, the pax messages asking if I will pick her up at JC Penny at 1600. I look at the clock and it is 1530. I agree to wait, but should another ride come up, I'm taking that one. I had forgotten that I disabled Lyft when I accepted this trip, so I sat there until 1600 with no other trips coming in. A few messages back and forth and she asks me to pick her up at Old Navy. Ugg.. sure. She gets in the truck, I slide the slider over to start the trip. This woman is going .6 miles away to pick up her car at the repair shop!

A grand total of $5.80!

She was charged $12.28 for the trip. Uber made $3.83 for the 'Service fee' and $2.65 for 'Booking Fee'

If you received a Lyft ping and cancelled the Uber for "no show" then you would not receive ANY wait time compensation.

Agreeing to wait is a bad practice..

#7 ·
Exactly. Unless it has the +45 minute indicator, assume that every trip is $3 and no tip. If they are really nice and seem like decent people I MIGHT wait up to ten minutes because they will probably tip me. It all depends on my mood. But 30 minutes? No way!

#8 ·
I'm one of the more patient here and even for me the waiting 30 minutes and not being paid would have been a hard no.

The 2nd different pu location: another hard no, if the first hard no was......softer....

Reactions: Illini
#9 ·

A grand total of $5.80!

Just curious, why did you wait ?

#11 ·

A grand total of $5.80!

Sorry but

Smile Gesture Fun Event Entertainment

Reactions: DefunctWarrior
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.