1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership.

Private fares?

Discussion in 'Advice' started by peasantgirl, Sep 6, 2015.

1. peasantgirl

peasantgirl

Ok I know I could google this but it's more fun to talk to you guys. So I dropped off a fare at a popular bar and before I could get out of the parking lot I was approached by a couple offering $10 to go less than a mile. Of course I agreed. I returned to the bar (with Uber app running, hoping for a legit fare), and this time people literally opened the door and got in without even asking me if I could take them. I was like "Um, excuse me? Wtf?" They begged me to drive them home. (I think maybe they saw me take the last couple?) We agreed on $7, again less than one mile.

Have I hit the jackpot with this bar, or is it too good to be true? Am i breaking any laws? Obviously insurance is an issue, but I guess if something happened I could claim I was their DD? But anyways, aside from insurance issues is there anything I should worry about? I mean, obviously these are complete strangers I'm letting in my car, but really they're just tipsy college kids who simply want to go home. The two rides I gave were honestly much nicer than many of the "legit" fares I've transported, who are usually entitled beyond belief. The money is tempting but I at least want to know what fates I'm tempting, lol.

Advice?

Casuale Haberdasher likes this.
  2. It's no problem as long as you got $25,000 on hand to defend yourself in a wrongful death lawsuit when that college kid you killed family comes after you for $5 million in his future earnings. You should get done paying that off through garnishments when you are about 90 or so. Uber On.

3. peasantgirl

peasantgirl

Ok I get your point, but that's like worst worst worst worst worst case scenario. About as likely as me winning the lottery, soooo....

4. OK can you afford the $20,000 in medical bills after your car is hit by an uninsured driver and the customer hits his head. What I am trying to get thru to you in the concept of No insurance. It ruins peoples financial futures. You know what cab drivers do when it happens to them? They go back to thier home countries to escape the garnishments. You have another home country to go to?

I would consider you lucky if you got caught in a DOT sting and had to pay a $1000 fine and never did it again.

Point is businesses do not take these kinds of risks. You have coverage for the risks you know about, you do not hide your head in the sand and hope for the best. You are a business, not someone participating in the "sharing economy" courts do not recognize the sharing economy.

5. peasantgirl

peasantgirl

Ok, I already said I understand the insurance implications. I was asking if I was breaking any laws?

6. D Town

D Town

Other than the insurance risk which has been so dramatically emphasized on an anti smoking ad level - even after you said you understood that - you may want to look at local ordinances for your municipality.

7. Yes of course you are, but maybe no more than you are already breaking doing Uber. Depends on the regulations enacted in your state/city. Just a matter is if they choose to enforce them.

8. peasantgirl

peasantgirl

Eek! "Of course I am?" I was seriously hoping for a No. I can say I think my state is pretty accepting of Uber, but I can't swear to local ordinances. Guess I'm off to google after all.

9. Here in LA there have sting operations targeting people just like you. Now I dont know about the laws in your state, but here your car gets impounded and you spend the night in jail. Now this may never happen to you BUT ! Is that want you want?

Youngsters think its so cute to do this, actually there pathetic. Plus the fact when they puke in your car then what ? No cleaning fee for you . Always have your doors locked.

On the flip side, ask if they have a valid c card. Have them Download the app right then and there and be on your way.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  10. KGB7

KGB7

Driving:
    UberX
    Log out of the app and remove U sticker, then you can give random strangers ride for cash in hand.

Its your car, and your insurance will cover up to $$ damages your policy covers.

YMMV on your States law for giving strangers rides for money. Check Virginia Hitchhiker law.

In worst case scenario, i would use: " i gave ride home to drunks to prevent them from driving home" as my defence. Im not an attorney, so YMMV.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  11. BostonBarry

BostonBarry

Driving:
    Lyft
    Accident causing a denied claim is definitely your biggest problem.

Pretty much everywhere has laws regulating vehicles for hire, cop catches wise and you're in for some fines.

It is dangerous. Those you let in your car without a ping aren't traceable. No way of knowing who attacked you should it go badly.

Just offer them a free ride after downloading app. You get most of these issues covered, a legit fare, and a referral bonus. What's the downside?

12. Renaldow

Renaldow

Driving:
    UberX
    This is almost like the Darwin Awards of Uber.

13. Am I missing something here looking at it from a rewards/risk standpoint?A $17 reward against a $1000000 lawsuit. Accidents just happen,they aren't foreseen. Maybe you are JoePro driver, what about the other guy who is drunk, high, a distracted driver or just a plain **** driver. Unless you like living life on the wild side edge you better tweek up the common sense side of your brain.

14. volksie

volksie

Try to limit it to friends/neighbors to the airport, etc...It's not illegal to accept gas money from new & old friends .
    Uber has illegally alienated us from tips & they think we should "BUY WATER" to bribe riders for good ratings. NOW THAT'S UNETHICAL!

15. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile

Driving:
    Taxi
    Tsk tsk.
    She didn't get the answer she wanterld, poor OP.
    Let me tell sweet sweet lies:
    "Of COURSE it's legal. We can do whatever we WANT, it's America! ".

16. observer

observer Moderator

Don't forget, Uber will deactivate you if they find out you are taking cash fares.

All you need is one customer to complain to Uber.

17. There's typically a local ordinance in place (with a hefty +$1,000 fine) to ensure that the ability to "street hail", or get a ride without a reservation, is solely allotted to taxis...traditionally this protected taxis from limos/town cars and the occasional illegal cab. Our app has mainly made a quick process of reserving a car/contacting for pick up.

I dropped off at a main event this winter and a guy walked up to my door dressed casually with a Mountain Dew bottle...asked me if I was free, said he just had to go down the street...I told him I had to do it through the App...then he showed me his badge and said, "Right answer."

If you really want to be able to do this, get the proper insurance and registration for your car, you can run a cab that also ubers. then you could build up a base of private clientele and charge what you see fit.

18. volksie

volksie

Not everyone HAS or WANTS the Uber app! It's other drivers that will throw you under the bus! REMAIN ANONYMOUS! If you get an Uber driver as a rider, bite your tongue! They DO NOT have your best interest in mind.
    Regards,
    Me

19. William1964

William1964

The worst case scenario is that the owner of this message board has already sent over the IP addresses of every poster at the website

Richard Cranium and TwoFiddyMile like this.
  20. BostonBarry

BostonBarry

Driving:
    Lyft
    Don't think you've paid attention to much in this conversation.