• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Private Driver ; Cash Rides

dryverjohn

Yes, you are running a big risk on the liability side with cash passengers. For most Uber drivers, their liabilities are larger than their assets, so they really don't have much to lose. It looks like you have some property and are talking about buying multiple cars, definitely not advised without proper insurance, from a liability standpoint.

mbd

im not sure where this post belongs Advice, Pay, Insurance, my own city forum, or someplace else. I chose advice because at the end, that’s what I’m going to do.... offer some advice

I’ve been doing this for a year and more than a few times I’ve had passengers ask if I would do a private cash ride. My answer has always been no, because of the insurance issue. And I’ve met a number of drivers that have built a sizable clientele of private ride customers. For some of these guys it’s not unusual for them to have 3 or 4 rides scheduled in a day. That’s as much as $200 to $300 without ever turning in the app. With one exception none of these guys have the permits required in our County and none of them (except the guy with a permit) has a rideshare rider on their insurance policy, much less commercial insurance

Over the last year I’ve become more than a little upset at the amount uber and lyft take from the fare and more and more envious of the money the drivers i met are making with their privat clientel

So I started talking to my Uber/lyft passengers and asking questions. “Would you be open to a private driver” would you like to know who is picking you up and with what car, Would you be willing to schedule a ride in advance to guarantee the car and driver. How much would you be willing to pay? Uber x rates? XL? Select? Or more?

What I found is that a lot of folks already have a guy they call for airport runs and those that don’t are wide open to the idea. And they don’t seem to be worried about insurance

So what does this mean for Uber and Lyft? My thought is that if local government and the airport aughorities don’t enforce their rules we Uber and Lyft drivers will see less and less airport and other high paying rides. Every frequent flyer will have their own personal driver to call

So what’s a guy to do? I just got my commercial insurance in place and I have the application for a vehicle for hire permit on my desk. I hope to be “legal” next month

So here’s my advice. If you want to be serious about this business you have to build a clientele of private customers. And to do it right you need the commercial insurance and permits
Do everything legal is the best way... illegal way, one small mistake will make your life miserable for a long time

Mista T

Author
I toyed with this idea...

Tested thw waters with various pax going to and from the airport...

Oddly enough, what I found frequently was the amount that people would be willing to pay was often the lower of what it would cost them to Uber or park at the airport.

Parking here is $11/day. If they were out if town for 3 days they would be willing to cough up $30-35, even if they lived an hour away.

Stevie The magic Unicorn

$5400
It would have been cheaper except for the at fault minor accident I had a year ago.
That's about normal for florida with a not quite perfect driving record.

im not sure where this post belongs Advice, Pay, Insurance, my own city forum, or someplace else. I chose advice because at the end, that’s what I’m going to do.... offer some advice

I’ve been doing this for a year and more than a few times I’ve had passengers ask if I would do a private cash ride. My answer has always been no, because of the insurance issue. And I’ve met a number of drivers that have built a sizable clientele of private ride customers. For some of these guys it’s not unusual for them to have 3 or 4 rides scheduled in a day. That’s as much as $200 to $300 without ever turning in the app. With one exception none of these guys have the permits required in our County and none of them (except the guy with a permit) has a rideshare rider on their insurance policy, much less commercial insurance

Over the last year I’ve become more than a little upset at the amount uber and lyft take from the fare and more and more envious of the money the drivers i met are making with their privat clientel

So I started talking to my Uber/lyft passengers and asking questions. “Would you be open to a private driver” would you like to know who is picking you up and with what car, Would you be willing to schedule a ride in advance to guarantee the car and driver. How much would you be willing to pay? Uber x rates? XL? Select? Or more?

What I found is that a lot of folks already have a guy they call for airport runs and those that don’t are wide open to the idea. And they don’t seem to be worried about insurance

So what does this mean for Uber and Lyft? My thought is that if local government and the airport aughorities don’t enforce their rules we Uber and Lyft drivers will see less and less airport and other high paying rides. Every frequent flyer will have their own personal driver to call

So what’s a guy to do? I just got my commercial insurance in place and I have the application for a vehicle for hire permit on my desk. I hope to be “legal” next month

So here’s my advice. If you want to be serious about this business you have to build a clientele of private customers. And to do it right you need the commercial insurance and permits
Way to go professional...

I pray you get enough business to make enough money to cover your costs.

oldfart

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wait...that's the same answer you gave earlier, lol!

Thanks for the info.
That's about normal for florida with a not quite perfect driving record.

Way to go professional...

I pray you get enough business to make enough money to cover your costs.

Thanks

I thought they might have goosed it up because of my age,

I just noticed that post too. Sorry folks!
Old fart any idea what it would have been if you hadn't had that accident?
about $1000 less

I toyed with this idea...

Tested thw waters with various pax going to and from the airport...

Oddly enough, what I found frequently was the amount that people would be willing to pay was often the lower of what it would cost them to Uber or park at the airport.

Parking here is $11/day. If they were out if town for 3 days they would be willing to cough up $30-35, even if they lived an hour away.

I read somewhere that uber/Lyft had a significant impact on airport revenue, in three areas 1) fees paid by car rental companies, 2) fees paid by taxi and Limo companies and 3) parking fees and then there are the fees, I would add to that list the fees not being paid by the Uber drivers that pick up at the airport off app

My experience is the same as yours, and I get it... I do the same thing...When I fly, If I and going to be gone only a few days, I drive myself and pay to park, If its going to be longer I pay one of my uber driver friends off app

TDR

It’s quicker to order Uber for riders. It’s easy to work with Uber for drivers. No extra planning, worries. Uber cheap for both parties. Tips is helpful. Drive safe!!!

Atom guy

I always say no to passengers that bring up the idea. I have in the past had people who would call me directly, but in the end they seemed to think that I was their personal driver and ended up taking advantage by requesting rides at weird times and at the last minute (as if I'm just sitting at home waiting for them to call).

I had one that was a regular Saturday thing, drive him one way in the morning, pick him up in the afternoon. $50 ever Saturday. Until that day he was totally disorganized and had me go back twice, making me be late to my other cash passenger who I had committed to. His response when I got upset was "that's not my problem." That was the last ride I gave him.

The other cash passenger would call several times a week and it was pretty good money, even though I'd have to stop Ubering and end up with some dead time. At the end, she was moving out of the country and wanted one last trip to Logan Airport in Boston. I said yes, but the day before she said she had a relative to give her a ride. At the last minute (like an hour before she needed to leave) she calls looking for the ride after all. I had made other plans and had already driven all day, so I had to say no - dropping everything for a 5 hour round trip starting at 6pm wasn't what I wanted to be doing.

After that I just decided to never get friendly enough with the passengers to have cash trips come up.

ANT 7

I read somewhere that uber/Lyft had a significant impact on airport revenue, in three areas 1) fees paid by car rental companies, 2) fees paid by taxi and Limo companies and 3) parking fees and then there are the fees, I would add to that list the fees not being paid by the Uber drivers that pick up at the airport off app.
At my airport we have a large billboard sign that says SHORT TERM PARKING XXXX.........LONG TERM PARKING XXXX stalls available....etc.....I've never seen the number of open stalls as high as it has been, over 1,000-2,000 available spots every day, and it's all because of Uber IMHO. We're 30-40% cheaper than a taxi to the airport, and parking there is insane per day. The only time I park at the airport is if I am coming back in 48/72 hours. Then it is the same cost as a couple of Uber rides.

goneubering

I agree. Do it the right way or don’t do it at all

Stevie The magic Unicorn

It’s quicker to order Uber for riders. It’s easy to work with Uber for drivers. No extra planning, worries. Uber cheap for both parties. Tips is helpful. Drive safe!!!
Your not wrong,

BUT...

this guy is going to clear double the revenue taking his own private clientele VS the same rides if they were uberX rides. Possibly more...

And that's only if he charges uber rates, if he has a pretty nice car he can charge black car rates and get triple to quadruple.

NOXDriver

It's HILARIOUS that OP think that insurance or regulations is even an issue for most passengers. How many times have you been asked to do something illegal but 'common' like carry to many people, kids, no car seats etc etc etc. NO. ONE. CARES.

Sure if you get into an accident you'll get sued. SO WHAT. Do you think a judgement for $100k means anything? You can bankrupt that away and still keep almost all your possessions or better yet, most drivers are judgement proof (aka have nothing of value anyway).

Sad fact is that this is America and just about anything is illegal at some level.

Take your cash rides.. the odds of 'getting caught' are tiny and the repercussions of an accident would be a minor inconvenience.

oldfart

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Your not wrong,

BUT...

this guy is going to clear double the revenue taking his own private clientele VS the same rides if they were uberX rides. Possibly more...

And that's only if he charges uber rates, if he has a pretty nice car he can charge black car rates and get triple to quadruple.
You got it exactly right. It’s a nice car Ford Explorer, limited. Folks that ask can’t believe it’s 8 years old but that’s not the big thing

They get an on time pick up in a nice car with a super nice driver. That’s worth something when you compare it to a broken down Kia and a guy that’s been up all night who dosent speak English

In my market everyone is trying to build a clientele of regular customers I’ve been asking all my riders (long and short rides too) whether an Uber driver has ever offered their card and tried to schedule their next ride. Seems that everyone is doing it. A lady I had today said she had a guy tell her the next ride is complimentary but tips are appreciated. I’m sure that’s how he’s trying to stay legal. I’m not going to play games. I’m insured and soon to be permitted

I’m convinced that before too long every frequent flyer here will have a private driver. Im not gonna be left out.

And the bonus is that if I do build a book of regular business; that’s a business I can sell one day. I sold my last effort for $500k. I’d like to do it again and die a millionaire

FLKeys

It's HILARIOUS that OP think that insurance or regulations is even an issue for most passengers. How many times have you been asked to do something illegal but 'common' like carry to many people, kids, no car seats etc etc etc. NO. ONE. CARES.

Sure if you get into an accident you'll get sued. SO WHAT. Do you think a judgement for $100k means anything? You can bankrupt that away and still keep almost all your possessions or better yet, most drivers are judgement proof (aka have nothing of value anyway).

Sad fact is that this is America and just about anything is illegal at some level.

Take your cash rides.. the odds of 'getting caught' are tiny and the repercussions of an accident would be a minor inconvenience.
...and when you have 8 PAX in a car that is made for 4 PAX with some of them being kids that require car seats and some drunk runs you off the road injuring and or killing some of the PAX that jail time you do for negligence is just a minor inconvenience. No thanks, I'll follow the rules.

Boca Ratman

he's going to have a hard time building a loyal consistent base. Uber is too easy, there is always a driver 5 minutes away,no planning needed. I have several people that I've been giving rides to for 2 and 3 years, even they will "just call an uber" if I'm more than 10 minutes from them.

Most of my cash rides are from when there weren't many drivers here and it benefited them to have someone reliable, now even the small markets are oversaturated with drivers.

Uber Crack

Author
Other than the insurance issues, I wont do private rides for these additional reasons...
1. The distance to drive to pick up the private ride is usually further than 99% of the pings I get.
2. Who pays the cleaning fee?

bobby747

you can do private pax. but have more control over them.if reg. ride is $50 and they need to go home twice. and you got more pax...next....you must charge them.what if 2nd ride is $300 r/t...
I have no time to go back. that's told upfront. no its. unless. no more pax that are next..irs taxes to be paid . local laws . comm. ins . me $over 4k a year