• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Private Driver ; Cash Rides

oldfart

im not sure where this post belongs Advice, Pay, Insurance, my own city forum, or someplace else. I chose advice because at the end, that’s what I’m going to do.... offer some advice

I’ve been doing this for a year and more than a few times I’ve had passengers ask if I would do a private cash ride. My answer has always been no, because of the insurance issue. And I’ve met a number of drivers that have built a sizable clientele of private ride customers. For some of these guys it’s not unusual for them to have 3 or 4 rides scheduled in a day. That’s as much as $200 to $300 without ever turning in the app. With one exception none of these guys have the permits required in our County and none of them (except the guy with a permit) has a rideshare rider on their insurance policy, much less commercial insurance

Over the last year I’ve become more than a little upset at the amount uber and lyft take from the fare and more and more envious of the money the drivers i met are making with their privat clientel

So I started talking to my Uber/lyft passengers and asking questions. “Would you be open to a private driver” would you like to know who is picking you up and with what car, Would you be willing to schedule a ride in advance to guarantee the car and driver. How much would you be willing to pay? Uber x rates? XL? Select? Or more?

What I found is that a lot of folks already have a guy they call for airport runs and those that don’t are wide open to the idea. And they don’t seem to be worried about insurance

So what does this mean for Uber and Lyft? My thought is that if local government and the airport aughorities don’t enforce their rules we Uber and Lyft drivers will see less and less airport and other high paying rides. Every frequent flyer will have their own personal driver to call

So what’s a guy to do? I just got my commercial insurance in place and I have the application for a vehicle for hire permit on my desk. I hope to be “legal” next month

So here’s my advice. If you want to be serious about this business you have to build a clientele of private customers. And to do it right you need the commercial insurance and permits

FLKeys

People negotiating return trips outside of the app has really cut into my ride requests. I have picked up a pattern and have evidence it is going on. It sucks for me because I won't do it and I lose rides over it.

You doing it legally is smart. Others in my area are not and they don't care.

JimKE

My thought is that if local government and the airport aughorities don’t enforce their rules we Uber and Lyft drivers will see less and less airport and other high paying rides.
Two thoughts on this sentence. The first is that not every airport ride is desirable. They might be at Ft. Myers, but at many airports X rides are often $5-$10.

And second, the level of enforcement by local authorities is directly proportional to how deep in the taxi industry's pockets they are.

As you know, enforcement by local authorities in Florida has been almost eliminated because of that corruption. Uber and Lyft were THE proponents of our new rideshare law, but I think you are right that they will suffer from the lack of enforcement.

I know at MIA I can't get out of Departures sometimes because of all the drivers up there trolling for cash rides! There was a guy in a red minivan with a vanity tag of "VANE" the other day who was really screwing things up. He would inch along about 10 feet and stop. Then another 10 feet. Then another. Crazy, but MIAD has nobody upstairs watching for the most obvious violations.

So what’s a guy to do? I just got my commercial insurance in place and I have the application for a vehicle for hire permit on my desk. I hope to be “legal” next month
What company, and how much did you pay? If you don't want to give that publicly, PM is fine.

And I would be remiss if I didn't note that cash rides are ILLEGAL in Florida unless you are properly licensed and insured. It's a misdemeanor, and you can actually be arrested and have your car towed.

vtcomics

People negotiating return trips outside of the app has really cut into my ride requests. I have picked up a pattern and have evidence it is going on. It sucks for me because I won't do it and I lose rides over it.

You doing it legally is smart. Others in my area are not and they don't care.
No surprise these fools are conducting rides off the app without any commercial insurance or permits. Watch what's happens the first time one of these idiots get into an accident with injury (or worse, death) resulting. If the selective/spin/political driven media decide to splash it, will the public outrage will be enough to make a difference going forward?

Last edited:

BikingBob

It certainly depends on where you live and what type of person you're signing up. I would do it legally of course. How is Uber not 'networking' like any other profession? You can build these relationships and maintain them.

JimKE

No surprise these fools are conducting rides off the app without any commercial insurance or permits. Watch what's happens the first time one of these idiots get into an accident with injury (or worse, death) resulting. If the selective/spin/political driven media decide to splash it, will the public outrage will be enough to make a difference going forward?
You know the funny thing is that the media would spin an off-app ride as..."UBER driver kills mother of twin toddlers!!!!!"

The fact that it was not an Uber ride will not overcome the click-bait value of having Uber in the headline.

disp350

im not sure where this post belongs Advice, Pay, Insurance, my own city forum, or someplace else. I chose advice because at the end, that’s what I’m going to do.... offer some advice

I’ve been doing this for a year and more than a few times I’ve had passengers ask if I would do a private cash ride. My answer has always been no, because of the insurance issue. And I’ve met a number of drivers that have built a sizable clientele of private ride customers. For some of these guys it’s not unusual for them to have 3 or 4 rides scheduled in a day. That’s as much as $200 to $300 without ever turning in the app. With one exception none of these guys have the permits required in our County and none of them (except the guy with a permit) has a rideshare rider on their insurance policy, much less commercial insurance

Over the last year I’ve become more than a little upset at the amount uber and lyft take from the fare and more and more envious of the money the drivers i met are making with their privat clientel

So I started talking to my Uber/lyft passengers and asking questions. “Would you be open to a private driver” would you like to know who is picking you up and with what car, Would you be willing to schedule a ride in advance to guarantee the car and driver. How much would you be willing to pay? Uber x rates? XL? Select? Or more?

What I found is that a lot of folks already have a guy they call for airport runs and those that don’t are wide open to the idea. And they don’t seem to be worried about insurance

So what does this mean for Uber and Lyft? My thought is that if local government and the airport aughorities don’t enforce their rules we Uber and Lyft drivers will see less and less airport and other high paying rides. Every frequent flyer will have their own personal driver to call

So here’s my advice. If you want to be serious about this business you have to build a clientele of private customers. And to do it right you need the commercial insurance and permits
I dont know about the legality as far as needing a permit there in Ft Myers (and Sanibel is my favorite place in the US - I hope you at least get the causeway fee if you go out there :smiles:), but your commercial insurance should cover you if you have need it. I dont think there is a provision in mine that says I have to be doing rideshare, its just listed as a business policy and that the car is used for transporting people and for business. So if you decide to do a cash ride, I dont think there would be an issue.

oldfart

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I dont know about the legality as far as needing a permit there in Ft Myers (and Sanibel is my favorite place in the US - I hope you at least get the causeway fee if you go out there :smiles:), but your commercial insurance should cover you if you have need it. I dont think there is a provision in mine that says I have to be doing rideshare, its just listed as a business policy and that the car is used for transporting people and for business. So if you decide to do a cash ride, I dont think there would be an issue.
If I have a customer in the car Uber charges them the $6 and passes it through to me

The problem is if I i cross the causeway without an Uber rider, I eat the $6.

There is a permit requirement and an additional permit and fee for the airport

Of the two policies presented to me, one said that Uber and Lyft were not permitted. The second was like what you describe.

I bought the second, more expensive policy

Two thoughts on this sentence. The first is that not every airport ride is desirable. They might be at Ft. Myers, but at many airports X rides are often $5-$10.

And second, the level of enforcement by local authorities is directly proportional to how deep in the taxi industry's pockets they are.

As you know, enforcement by local authorities in Florida has been almost eliminated because of that corruption. Uber and Lyft were THE proponents of our new rideshare law, but I think you are right that they will suffer from the lack of enforcement.

I know at MIA I can't get out of Departures sometimes because of all the drivers up there trolling for cash rides! There was a guy in a red minivan with a vanity tag of "VANE" the other day who was really screwing things up. He would inch along about 10 feet and stop. Then another 10 feet. Then another. Crazy, but MIAD has nobody upstairs watching for the most obvious violations.

What company, and how much did you pay? If you don't want to give that publicly, PM is fine.

And I would be remiss if I didn't note that cash rides are ILLEGAL in Florida unless you are properly licensed and insured. It's a misdemeanor, and you can actually be arrested and have your car towed.
I haven’t seen any trolling for cash rides at RSW what the guys are doing is getting an Uber or lyft ride, and completing it, but at the end saying something like, how are you getting back to the airport? And offering their card

Progressive ... $5400. It would have been cheaper except for an at fault fender bender I had a year ago. It should be less next year

Last edited:

ANT 7

Where I live, as a rideshare operator, I am automatically licensed by the municipality/province for "general livery" per say, right on day one. It's how it is set up here. I can legally do this and get insured without issue (already am).

Haven't thought about putting it into practice though.

One of my friends is actually my personal black car driver. We've done about 600 trips together. Runs a Lincoln of course. He's been taking Mrs ANT7 and I to the airport since 2012. Nice guy, talked about the economics of it with him, and at $65 a trip which is his charge in my particular case, I'd want 4 runs a day, every day, to make it worthwhile. He say's it is easily doable, and best to start out with a dedicated limo booking service first to get the clientele going, or do it with a rideshare service like we're talking about. Well, I don't want to get a different car and do that, so.............

In the case of comparing it to Uber, I'd need 10 airport runs a day to make it happen on my own, so I could never do it in the short term either. It would have to be supplemental income only, as I think the gestastion period for the thing to be self-sustaining is too long. Look at it this way. People go to the airport at specific times, all the time. If two of your client's need to go at the same time, you can't do it. So you give away a % for coverage from someone else. A noob probably. Trying to make it up on all of the other available customer's would take much longer.

Last edited:

reg barclay

I think this advice is more relevant to full timers than part timers. The costs of licensing and commercial insurance can get pretty expensive. So the more rides you do, the more those expenses are offset, but for part timers it may not be worth it. Additionally, part timers are less likely to want to obligate themselves to be available days in advance, which is something private customers will expect. As someone who only drives part time, one of the main reasons I do these gigs is so that I can drive if and when I feel like it.

Merc7186

Not necessarily Reg as I am a part timer. I have several groups of college kids whom I have given rides to several times. Both times I was approached by them to do cash rides off the app.

With these rides, there are several conditions attached to them:
First Off, we are friends. I'm just a friend helping another friend out (dashcam footage of said exchange).

Secondly, cash in hand up front, same amount to their location and same amount coming back home. It is always cheaper than the app, so it saves them money.

Third, they aren't to have me break any laws, no smoking, no drugs, no booze and no over loading my vehicle.

Finally, text me ahead of time...give me at least a 30 minute heads up, so I can get back to them if I am in a ride.

All parties have been content with these arrangements, nets me $60 anytime they need me.

oldfart

I think this advice is more relevant to full timers than part timers. The costs of licensing and commercial insurance can get pretty expensive. So the more rides you do, the more those expenses are offset, but for part timers it may not be worth it. Additionally, part timers are less likely to want to obligate themselves to be available days in advance, which is something private customers will expect. As someone who only drives part time, one of the main reasons I do these gigs is so that I can drive if and when I feel like it.
Absolutely this is advice for full timers.

oldfart

Where I live, as a rideshare operator, I am automatically licensed by the municipality/province for "general livery" per say, right on day one. It's how it is set up here. I can legally do this and get insured without issue (already am).

Haven't thought about putting it into practice though.

One of my friends is actually my personal black car driver. We've done about 600 trips together. Runs a Lincoln of course. He's been taking Mrs ANT7 and I to the airport since 2012. Nice guy, talked about the economics of it with him, and at $65 a trip which is his charge in my particular case, I'd want 4 runs a day, every day, to make it worthwhile. He say's it is easily doable, and best to start out with a dedicated limo booking service first to get the clientele going, or do it with a rideshare service like we're talking about. Well, I don't want to get a different car and do that, so.............

In the case of comparing it to Uber, I'd need 10 airport runs a day to make it happen on my own, so I could never do it in the short term either. It would have to be supplemental income only, as I think the gestastion period for the thing to be self-sustaining is too long. Look at it this way. People go to the airport at specific times, all the time. If two of your client's need to go at the same time, you can't do it. So you give away a % for coverage from someone else. A noob probably. Trying to make it up on all of the other available customer's would take much longer.
4 a day sounds about right to me. I already work with a group of drivers doing the same thing. We trade off our conflicts

I_Like_Spam

It really depends on your local situation over in Ft Myers and the attitude of the people as well as the regulatory bodies and the police.

Here in Pittsburgh, the police really haven't cared about jitney drivers who will pick you right up in front of the police. And that was even before Uber and the other ride share platforms were launched. The people are used to seeing jitneys soliciting business at the bus station, grocery stores and the streets. Pittsburgh's August Wilson wrote a stage play "Jitney" glorifying the racket.

You are a better position to know what people will go for in Fort Myers.

If you have locals that you pick up mostly at home or work, I can't see much chance of getting pinched here.

oldfart

Getting “pinched” is not my concern. Although the reports here of $3000 fines does get my attention.
My concern is an accident resulting in injury to my passenger

vtcomics

Getting “pinched” is not my concern. Although the reports here of $3000 fines does get my attention.
My concern is an accident resulting in injury to my passenger
Old fart if you don't mind me asking: what did they quote you for the Commercial insurance?