Uber Drivers Forum banner

privacy survey from Uber

1K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  circle1 
#1 ·
I got a "privacy survey" request from Uber-Seattle today asking me the following:

"Should your permission be required before the Teamsters have access to your personal information-including your name and address, as well as your email address, phone number, for hire license/permit number, and driver's license number?"

I'm just an occasional part time driver--I make my real living through my day job--so I don't really have a big dog in this fight. As such, I'd probably take the lead from other more active drivers in responding to this if people feel strongly one way or the other. How are people reacting to this survey from Uber? Or should it just be ignored as having no actual impact--even for highly active drivers?

#4 ·
Personally, I don't think they have any right to my personal contact information, or any other information that Uber has on me (a lot). Having been a member of the Teamsters in the past I have zero trust that they will safeguard it, and I wouldn't be to happy if Uber just willfully doled it out. It's BS.

Obviously Uber and Lyft are doing everything they legally can to avoid unionization including giving up data that they see as compromising their competitiveness in the marketplace. At least they are making sure we are knowledgeable about the request. The city has had their panties in a knot about this for some time and I say screw them, don't give it up.

#6 ·
Aren't all of our personal details already obtainable through the Muni from our TNC applications/licenses? I would think the info the Teamsters really wants is our level of activity on the platform, more so than our contact info. The "Your Privacy is At Risk" email is a little histrionic on Uber's part.

Plus now, when you open the app, they tell us about their wonderful new policy changes... what? that they're actually going to consider our track record, look at the physical evidence and take OUR version of what happened into account?!?!?

Does anyone else see how ridiculous this is? They are admitting they've completely disregarded our side of events - evidence and track record be damned - and operated under the assumption we're just liars and losers, not to be trusted. NOW they are suddenly giving us enough legitimacy they'll look at feedback from us "equally" to the riders... when there are actual flyers circulating campuses across this country from riders outlining how to scam us out of fares we've rightfully earned!?!?!

I know ... instead of arbitrarily adjusting a fare (read: docking our pay) without notice - how about ALERTING us drivers there's been a dispute? Or would that be going too far?

#10 ·
I'm not from Seattle, but i want to thank you drivers who are from there. I feel like, even though I wish there were no need for a union, it's the only way things will change for drivers. Uber is very worried. You guys are representing us all in a way. What you're doing is great.

Hopefully, you'll end up with a rate increase, tip option and a way to appeal illegal deactivation. Then there won't be a need for unions. Uber could easily give in on this.

If Uber had treated drivers fairly, this would not be happening. Thanks.

#11 ·
I'm not from Seattle, but i want to thank you drivers who are from there. I feel like, even though I wish there were no need for a union, it's the only way things will change for drivers. Uber is scared to death. You guys are representing us all in a way. What you're doing is great. Hang tough.
The ideal outcome is they leave and are quickly replaced with a better platform. This hopefully will send a message to other markets that these clowns can be replaced. There's already a proven market for rideshare. The market could be served in a much more efficient way.

#15 ·
No matter what happens, I have bills to pay. I sincerely hope this can all be resolved without having any type of withdrawal or shutdown.

I am handing out business cards at a quick pace, just in case things go badly.

I would suggest you get a Square reader and payment process in place.

Please don't preach to me about the insurance implications, I understand the risk of running without app support.

#16 ·
I am handing out business cards at a quick pace, just in case things go badly.
Have you signed up with Motor? They are right now a very distant 3rd or 4th or 5th, but I would think they would become big real fast if Uber were to flee town ahead of the posse, and even now, I would think you would benefit from how they operate.

Basically, they have an app.
I believe they are good if you have your own customers who call you.
You can leave it running while driving Uber and if their request comes through, there is no penalty for ignoring it.
You can allow requests that pay cash, or filter them out.

Now, it's never been clear to me if Motor is a taxi or a TNC or how insurance works with them, but the guy behind it has a long background in the taxi biz.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.