Privacy Issues

Larrikin

I don't know how other people feel about the new Uber Smooth Riding check, however I am very alarmed at the whole concept. I've sometimes wondered just exactly how much information Uber is actually taking off my mobile phone, the bastards certainly don't pay for the phone, or the data, yet they seem to be extracting a lot of information.

What they intend to do with that information is a moot point, then there's the issue of examining data and the conclusions reached - are we being lectured / taught be a 20yr old geek from Goa, or one of the backpacker chicks in a tin shed at Subiaco about driving techniques?

Who knows! However, I don't remember allowing Uber, or an other entity to use my phone for that purpose. If Uber supplied the phone and paid for it, as does Shofer, then it becomes another story. In Shofer's case, they actually supply both the car and the phone, so they have a legitimate right to check on the use of their equipment, although it has to be said, the way Shofer was running their Driver check system was an arrogant abomination, based on incorrect data - I trust they've fixed the glitch and give the ill-mannered prick a lesson in manners. But with Uber, I think there are alarming privacy issues here. I'm hoping somebody will come up with an existing programme that can stop such data being read / extracted without written permission.

Last edited:

Potsy

I don't know how other people feel about the new Uber Smooth Riding check, however I am very alarmed at the whole concept. I've sometimes wondered just exactly how much information Uber is actually taking off my mobile phone, the bastards certainly don't pay for the phone, or the data, yet they seem to be extracting a lot of information.

What they intend to do with that information is a moot point, then there's the issue of examining data and the conclusions reached - are we being lectured / taught be a 20yr old geek from Goa, or one of the backpacker chicks in a tin shed at Subiaco about driving techniques?

Who knows! However, I don't remember allowing Uber, or an other entity to use my phone for that purpose. If Uber supplied the phone and paid for it, as does Shofer, then it becomes another story. In Shofer's case, they actually supply both the car and the phone, so they have a legitimate right to check on the use of their equipment, although it has to be said, the way Shofer was running their Driver check system was an arrogant abomination, based on incorrect data - I trust they've fixed the glitch and give the ill-mannered prick a lesson in manners. But with Uber, I think there are alarming privacy issues here. I'm hoping somebody will come up with an existing programme that can stop such data being read / extracted without written permission.
......and another controversial issue being debated in the States at the moment is that Uber have developed an IT tool whereby they can switch your microphone on and record you. Even if your phone is turned off they can still do it unless you remove the battery.

UberPig

Basturds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!

Combining bas+turds makes then shitty bastards...

UberPig

Double serve of baked beans please....
Hope my bad jokes are not making a mockery of your thread Mr Larrikin...
Just tell me to go away if it annoys you.. :smiles:

HumungousDill

I'm still wondering about that useless "heatseeker" app. Something of no apparent use downloaded onto my phone, and silence from Uber regarding it ever since.

Larrikin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Double serve of baked beans please....
Hope my bad jokes are not making a mockery of your thread Mr Larrikin...
Just tell me to go away if it annoys you.. :smiles:
Strewth no! I love it, indeed I sometimes suspect we may have met in another life / career - I was one of the original Pinnacle Tours guides, later Feature Tours, Ops Mgr for Great Western Tours, Pathfinder Tours, Amesz Tours, Greyhound and Bus Australia, not to mention the Greek connection, cheers.

UberPig

Safari treks
Western trouble bug
Redback safari's
Rottmess T&T
3islands marine (Exmouth)

Uber..... :frown:

Spelling intentional

Larrikin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a Galaxy S5 which didn't allow me to change App permissions, so I downloaded a free App that allowed me to do so and was stunned to find out just exactly what Uber could do with my phone - as David has correctly stated, Uber is a data harvesting business. Following the much appreciated advice of others, I turned off almost all the permissions, however the one at the bottom of the list (see screen pic) is very interesting - the app control programme has no idea what it is! And it seems Uber refers to us as Uber Cab Drivers! Anyone know what the functions of this part of the app do?

Attachments