Prison Riot in Washington State after some inmates test positive for Coronovirus

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
Hundreds of Monroe prisoners create massive disturbance after inmates test for COVID-19

200409104358-01-washington-prison-disturbance-grab-exlarge-169.jpg

MONROE, Wash. — Hundreds of prisoners inside a Monroe facility created a massive disturbance Wednesday evening and threatened to set fires after several inmates tested positive for COVID-19, according to the Washington State Patrol.

Officials at the Monroe Correctional Complex called the Patrol at about 6 p.m. to help with security because over 100 prisoners in minimum security had started a demonstration in the recreation yard, troopers said.

Authorities said all measures to quell the disturbance were ignored including verbal directives, pepper spray and sting balls, which release light, noise, and rubber pellets.

Fire extinguishers were also set off within two housing units inside the Minimum Security Unit, appearing to be smoke from the outside.

Suzy, whose son is one of the inmates at the prison, told KOMO NewsRadio she could hear shouting and the anger in the background when she was talking to her son.

00739135d221467bd4241aace696b65f.png

"There’s fear and frustration building inside this minimum security unit," she said. "And I’ve been there for visits twice a week for a long time and its pretty mellow and quiet in there most of the time I was shocked to hear them tonight with all the loud yelling and anxious sounding... the anger and frustration that's been building in that unit."

Additional security units responded, and over half of the men started complying with their orders, while others continued to ignore their directions, officials said. Sting balls were deployed and the prisoners stopped destroying the two housing units, authorities said.

No jail staffers or prisoners were injured during the disturbance and both housing units were fully evacuated.

Officials believe the incident was caused after six prisoners testing positive for COVID-19 within the Minimum Security Unit.

"They're all freaking out for their lives," said Carmella Holt, whose boyfriend is inside the prison. "They're scared to death. Nobody's doing anything about it, they're not getting the medical attention that they need."

All six prisoners are isolated from the general population and are being monitored by the facility's health care team.

Suzy's son expressed some of the fears amid the inmates.

"He said, 'we can’t cover our faces at all,' which I understand in a lot of ways; you’re in prison you probably don’t want these people wearing something over your face," Suzy said. "Their beds are like in like this barracks-type situation with literally like this cardboard piece between the bunks. And he said, 'I can reach my hand up and over and if someone's coughing above me or over to the side (it's) going to travel to me.' Literally no protection for them. They're breathing the same air, they're not being able to social distance."

The Department of Corrections said it is protecting medically vulnerable incarcerated individuals.

All of the men in the housing unit with the first positive COVID-19 cases continue to have no symptoms of illness or disease and are wearing surgical masks for further protection, according to the Department of Corrections.

Authorities said the facility is on restricted movement and the situation is under control.

"When you have people in there that are sick it’s like, what do you do then? " Suzy said. "I don’t know if they need to test all these people in there and find out if anyone has it or doesn’t has it and separate the people that don’t so they don’t end up contracting it."

The Monroe Correctional Complex houses approximately 450 minimum custody male inmates.

Wolfgang Faust

Hundreds of Monroe prisoners create massive disturbance after inmates test for COVID-19

View attachment 445312

MONROE, Wash. — Hundreds of prisoners inside a Monroe facility created a massive disturbance Wednesday evening and threatened to set fires after several inmates tested positive for COVID-19, according to the Washington State Patrol.

Officials at the Monroe Correctional Complex called the Patrol at about 6 p.m. to help with security because over 100 prisoners in minimum security had started a demonstration in the recreation yard, troopers said.

Authorities said all measures to quell the disturbance were ignored including verbal directives, pepper spray and sting balls, which release light, noise, and rubber pellets.

Fire extinguishers were also set off within two housing units inside the Minimum Security Unit, appearing to be smoke from the outside.

Suzy, whose son is one of the inmates at the prison, told KOMO NewsRadio she could hear shouting and the anger in the background when she was talking to her son.

View attachment 445317
"There’s fear and frustration building inside this minimum security unit," she said. "And I’ve been there for visits twice a week for a long time and its pretty mellow and quiet in there most of the time I was shocked to hear them tonight with all the loud yelling and anxious sounding... the anger and frustration that's been building in that unit."

Additional security units responded, and over half of the men started complying with their orders, while others continued to ignore their directions, officials said. Sting balls were deployed and the prisoners stopped destroying the two housing units, authorities said.

No jail staffers or prisoners were injured during the disturbance and both housing units were fully evacuated.

Officials believe the incident was caused after six prisoners testing positive for COVID-19 within the Minimum Security Unit.

"They're all freaking out for their lives," said Carmella Holt, whose boyfriend is inside the prison. "They're scared to death. Nobody's doing anything about it, they're not getting the medical attention that they need."

All six prisoners are isolated from the general population and are being monitored by the facility's health care team.

"He said, 'we can’t cover our faces at all,' which I understand in a lot of ways; you’re in prison you probably don’t want these people wearing something over your face," Suzy said. "Their beds are like in like this barracks-type situation with literally like this cardboard piece between the bunks. And he said, 'I can reach my hand up and over and if someone's coughing above me or over to the side (it's) going to travel to me.' Literally no protection for them. They're breathing the same air, they're not being able to social distance."

The Department of Corrections said it is protecting medically vulnerable incarcerated individuals.

All of the men in the housing unit with the first positive COVID-19 cases continue to have no symptoms of illness or disease and are wearing surgical masks for further protection, according to the Department of Corrections.

Authorities said the facility is on restricted movement and the situation is under control.

"When you have people in there that are sick it’s like, what do you do then? " Suzy said. "I don’t know if they need to test all these people in there and find out if anyone has it or doesn’t has it and separate the people that don’t so they don’t end up contracting it."

The Monroe Correctional Complex houses approximately 450 minimum custody male inmates.

Lots of space to social distance at Gitmo.

TemptingFate

If the state can't house them in a way that prevents outbreak of infectious diseases, it seems like they should be released to house arrest and monitored with ankle bracelets. They're in a minimum security prison so they're probably petty nonviolent criminals with short sentences, not a big risk to the community.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If the state can't house them in a way that prevents outbreak of infectious diseases, it seems like they should be released to house arrest and monitored with ankle bracelets. They're in a minimum security prison so they're probably petty nonviolent criminals with short sentences, not a big risk to the community.
I'm looking them up, they are both a minimum and maximum security prison, with separate wings. Yes they need to be better protected so this virus doesn't spread through the entire facility, infecting both prisoners and staff.

TheDevilisaParttimer

The staff, visitors or venders. The news just showed the guards checking a semi truck driver's temperature at the gate before they allowed him in to make his deliveries.
That's why we should take this serious if Covid rolls through the prison system unchecked it puts all that interact with the prison system at risk and they will take it home to their families and so forth.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
That's why we should take this serious if Covid rolls through the prison system unchecked it puts all that interact with the prison system at risk and they will take it home to their families and so forth.
The wives are on TV pleading for the release of their husbands who are in there convicted of minor crimes. They are reminding us these are someone's fathers, sons, and loved ones. They shouldn't get a death sentence for a minor crime like auto theft or the like.

ABC123DEF

The wives are on TV pleading for the release of their husbands who are in there convicted of minor crimes. They are reminding us these are someone's fathers, sons, and loved ones. They shouldn't get a death sentence for a minor crime like auto theft or the like.
Grand theft auto might be a felony charge. I'm not sure on that one, though. It definitely carries more weight in the judicial system than that of shoplifting a Snickers from 7-11.

Big Lou

View attachment 445312

View attachment 445317

I just don't understand what the problem with those inmates in Monroe Correctional Complex is. The Un-President of the United States has assured us all that all they have to do is get tested. Anyone can get tested any time any day. Obviously, they didn't get the memo.

Invisible

It’s a tough call about what they should do.

We have that here, too. 7 inmates have it, 2 who are hospitalized and 4 staff have it. I saw a plea from the wife or girlfriend asking for her man to be released.

And one of our Walmart’s here has 3 workers who have it.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
Unfortunately there's just no place to quarantine these prisoners if this virus runs rampant inside the system. No place that would also maintain the safety for the general public. Seattle Washington was the first epicenter of the virus in the US. As it is, our Seahawks stadium has been turned into a multiple patient hospital unit.

Invisible

Unfortunately there's just no place to quarantine these prisoners if this virus runs rampant inside the system. No place that would also maintain the safety for the general public. Seattle Washington was the first epicenter of the virus in the US. As it is, our Seahawks stadium has been turned into a multiple patient hospital unit.
And I was reading an article here of how the prisoners can’t wear face masks in prison. So if their cell mate gets it, they will, too. It’s not like you can social distance in a jail cell.

W00dbutcher

They are demanding evacuation, but to where? Where do you store a bunch of criminals safely?
What was the name of that island where it's got nothing but sharks surrounding over there where they film that movie with oh I don't know who it was but anyway.. shark island or something I don't know
Post automatically merged:

It just came to me, Megadeth that a song about it it was called Devil's Island

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
What was the name of that island where it's got nothing but sharks surrounding over there where they film that movie with oh I don't know who it was but anyway.. shark island or something I don't know
Post automatically merged:

It just came to me, Megadeth that a song about it it was called Devil's Island
An escape prisoner around here who takes to the water is more likely to be hit by an Amazon employee in a kayak than a shark.. 😂