Preliminary research. Poss move from SEA

Noonespecial

Its actually not even seasonal anymore. The last big events were the UT home games and ACL and they were disasters.
The last few months have been disastrous with an insane number of drivers everywhere.
The cost of living is actually pretty comparable to seattle unless you live far away. If you come to austin and try to pay bills driving Uber you will hate life miserably.
Lyft also only pays 47 cents a mile. Unless you want to make a huge life mistake, do not come here and think that you can get by with uber.

haze1995

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can anyone tell me how much you are making for 8 hours of driving? Would likely be going back and fourth from Austin to San Antonio. I commute an hour and a half to Seattle at the moment.

TNCTopher

Here you go Haze,

I will assume you are an UberX driver. The results will be the same as it is everywhere.
- 2.3 trips per hour
- $10 per trip
Your earnings will be dependent upon the number of hours you want to work. There are rides to be had and just like SEA there is seasonality here. The cost of living here ($2.03/gallon) will be lower, giving you a better chance. It will take you a couple to figure out Austin, but it's not a difficult town to navigate except for the fact that there are only really three ways to cross the river.

I hope that help and good luck.

tcc83

The only time I average $10 per x trip is when Im in a location that will give me longer trips but fewer than 2.3 per hour. I average about that during busy times but there are too many slow hours bringing my average down.

dssoper

The only time I average $10 per x trip is when Im in a location that will give me longer trips but fewer than 2.3 per hour. I average about that during busy times but there are too many slow hours bringing my average down.
Agreed.

Ziggy

Depending on when you’re commuting you’ll be hard pressed to make the SAT-AUS commute in 90 minutes. To say that Austin is over-saturated is an understatement, it’s not uncommon to see 100+ X at the airport; considering that the airport only has 350 flights a day and the Uber TNC lot only holds 80 cars. Good luck

wilsonz83

Depending on when you’re commuting you’ll be hard pressed to make the SAT-AUS commute in 90 minutes. To say that Austin is over-saturated is an understatement, it’s not uncommon to see 100+ X at the airport; considering that the airport only has 350 flights a day and the Uber TNC lot only holds 80 cars. Good luck
And most ap trips are $10+ Only.

wilsonz83

I started Uber at SEA, I don't think Austin could be much better than Seattle, especially now with such a saturated market, it's kind like a luck draw, bc every corner you have tons of car waiting. Also the commute traffic is miserable. Surge is almost gone. Actually I think moving to a new place for rideshare is not a good idea bc you never know what's going to happen after you move there, then you will have to keep moving I guess.

If you really want to have rideshare as a career, maybe Cali is ok with uber's new changes that you see destination before accepting the trip and surge multiplier back. But best luck for you.

DriverRI

I started Uber at SEA, I don't think Austin could be much better than Seattle, especially now with such a saturated market, it's kind like a luck draw, bc every corner you have tons of car waiting. Also the commute traffic is miserable. Surge is almost gone. Actually I think moving to a new place for rideshare is not a good idea bc you never know what's going to happen after you move there, then you will have to keep moving I guess.

If you really want to have rideshare as a career, maybe Cali is ok with uber's new changes that you see destination before accepting the trip and surge multiplier back. But best luck for you.
Agree. I would not move here just for rideshare, unless you already have other plans and will do rideshare to compliment that.

From 5am-2pm on X, I think you could break $100.

Universal Driver

Yeah I also started Uber in Seattle and you make less here in Austin ... Given SEA is more expensive to live but my earnings there back in 2018 kept up I took a pay cut moving here... don’t know how much SEA market has changed within a year .... but at least rent is cheaper in San Antonio lol

wilsonz83

Yeah I also started Uber in Seattle and you make less here in Austin ... Given SEA is more expensive to live but my earnings there back in 2018 kept up I took a pay cut moving here... don’t know how much SEA market has changed within a year .... but at least rent is cheaper in San Antonio lol
Sea was pretty good, so did Austin. You just missed the best time for Austin. 2016-17 was a gold mine for rideshare here without u/l presented. Since the last rate cut/new surge, it really going down everyday.

Universal Driver

Sea was pretty good, so did Austin. You just missed the best time for Austin. 2016-17 was a gold mine for rideshare here without u/l presented. Since the last rate cut/new surge, it really going down everyday.
Yeah I really missed out on that time ... how did you guys end up spending all the extra money you had during those surplus years??

Here you go Haze,

I will assume you are an UberX driver. The results will be the same as it is everywhere.
- 2.3 trips per hour
- $10 per trip
Your earnings will be dependent upon the number of hours you want to work. There are rides to be had and just like SEA there is seasonality here. The cost of living here ($2.03/gallon) will be lower, giving you a better chance. It will take you a couple to figure out Austin, but it's not a difficult town to navigate except for the fact that there are only really three ways to cross the river.

I hope that help and good luck.
I can back these numbers up. By comparison, you will average 7 bucks per Lyft ride here if you accept all rides. Expect similar downtown vs suburb vs airport patterns here. AP to DT is $8. Main suburbs in driving area are Cedar Park, Pflugerville and Round Rock, each 20 miles away, plus Georgetown is 30 miles away.

whiskeyboat

Come on down, there are plenty of real jobs that pay well.
If you are just going to drive full time make sure you bring a couple of roommates to help pay rent on a tiny apartment.