• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Potential North Jersey Driver Looking for Advice

Anthonyv

Hi all,

I'm planning on quitting my job to go back to school, while driving Uber part time. If you could comment on any of below it would be appreciated. Thanks for your insight!

1. The big problem, I don't have a car. I don't want to lease or buy, because I only plan to be doing this for 6-9 months. I know there are many services that rent cars specifically for driving Uber, but they start at like $300 a week. Seems like you could spend more than you make. I was thinking about a short term lease through Lease Trader. Does anyone have experience with that, or have any other suggestions?

2. Is $20 an hour a realistic estimate of how much I can expect to make after gas & tolls? I'm based in downtown Jersey City, and plan to work late Friday/Saturday nights. I'll be driving 10-20 hours a week.

3. How much more per hour do SUV drivers make than UberX? Is there enough demand to make it worth the extra expense?

JerseyBoy911

Hi all,

I'm planning on quitting my job to go back to school, while driving Uber part time. If you could comment on any of below it would be appreciated. Thanks for your insight!

The big problem, I don't have a car. I don't want to lease or buy, because I only plan to be doing this for 6-9 months. I know there are many services that rent cars specifically for driving Uber, but they start at like $300 a week. Seems like you could spend more than you make. I was thinking about a short term lease through Lease Trader. Does anyone have experience with that, or have any other suggestions?
No car? ok...thats a big piece of Uber driving lol
I know nothing about lease trader but from what I understand they want everything in your name...someone correct me if Im wrong.

As for leasing a car from one of the TLC guys for 300...I hear it is more than that...my first week before reading up on here and talking to other drivers I made 150 bucks. Now granted, I didn't drive the whole time ...I did like 4 days and did Hoboken, smh...all short trips...JC too...all shorties...no point in doing short runs unless you plan to drive 16 hours str8.

Get a used Scion, Honda or Toyota (2006 and Up) Even if the miles are high, they are dependable cars and easy to fix things.

1. Is $20 an hour a realistic estimate of how much I can expect to make after gas & tolls? I'm based in downtown Jersey City, and plan to work late Friday/Saturday nights. I'll be driving 10-20 hours a week
Like I said before....Hoboken and JC are shortie rides. At 1.10 a mile...you sometimes only go 1.4 miles....IF UR LUCKY lol Now yes..there is some of those Airport runs out of HoBo and JC...but do yourself a favor...download the Uber App if your don't have it...hover the pin drop over the areas of Hoboken n JC... how many drivers do u see? how many trips to the airport u think there are?? If you work at it hard and spent a ton of time in your car...get your gas on 1&9 where it's cheap... work a good strategy, know the good spots...stay away from Hudson Co altogether yea...mayyyybeee

1. How much more per hour do SUV drivers make than UberX? Is there enough demand to make it worth the extra expense?
They make more but how many Uber XL or SUV there are during the week? They make bank on the weekends when folks go out in groups and there is a surge..or at Giants Stadium during the season.

Last edited:

McUber13

Hi all,

1. The big problem, I don't have a car. I don't want to lease or buy, because I only plan to be doing this for 6-9 months. I know there are many services that rent cars specifically for driving Uber, but they start at like $300 a week. Seems like you could spend more than you make. I was thinking about a short term lease through Lease Trader. Does anyone have experience with that, or have any other suggestions?

2. Is $20 an hour a realistic estimate of how much I can expect to make after gas & tolls? I'm based in downtown Jersey City, and plan to work late Friday/Saturday nights. I'll be driving 10-20 hours a week.

3. How much more per hour do SUV drivers make than UberX? Is there enough demand to make it worth the extra expense?
Hi Anthony

If you read through this site, you will see that Uber tends to be most lucrative as a side-gig. However, not having a vehicle obviously puts a huge wrench in your plan. I've been doing this about 10 hours a week for the last several months typically average in the $9-12/hr range after expenses. That includes depreciation on my car on top of other things. It costs me about $0.35/mile of driving. If you were to add in ANY type of car payment to this equation, that operation cost goes up drastically plus you currently don't have auto insurance (I assume) which you'll need as well. For such a short stint (6-9 months) I would doubt you would ever make any money.

Good luck on going back to school. That's the best investment you can make!

PorkRollUberAndCheese

If you don't have a car, don't do Uber. Period. The only way you should carry any sort of payment with Uber is if you have a full time job that you can cover the car payment with if Uber suddenly went away.

Trust me on this. I've run a lot of numbers.

Tony from New Jersey

10-12 net is more realictic expectstion on a long term basis. Ylu might get lucky or unlucky, and deviate from my range but consodering week after week, that would be the range.

After few weeks of active driving, it my increase little with experience, say 12-15 range.