1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Potential New UberSUV Driver

Discussion in 'Licensed' started by Darkhawk, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Darkhawk

Darkhawk Member

Hello!

Newer member here started driving about a week ago and apparently this is very interesting timing. My wife and I were thinking of trading in our Traverse in for a Yukon XL prior to me driving which would qualify for UberSUV! Also a lot of folks I drive around so far tell me that I should look into black and suv since I already do things those guys normally do. Unless I'm picking up drunkards in the middle of the night and open doors and move my seats for the passengers, strangely enough I do it out of not wanting people to damage my own car!

Now down to my real question, UberSUV is taking applicants in my area. Am I able to sit at the airport (pretty large airport) and filter to only Black/SUV? I've seen people here mention they can but I asked Uber and the following is their response: "No, you cannot filter to receive only higher tier requests as this will have a negative impact on your ratings and may lead to deactivation as it is a form of cherry picking."

I don't want to be sitting at a Cowboys or Mavs game and go out to pick up SUV customers and end up getting a pair of drunk X clients wanting to go three miles down the road.

Thanks for all your help!

2. BusinessAsUsual

BusinessAsUsual Active Member

airport is tricky idk how it happens in dallas but some airports have a que system where u just get any ping given you.. but at events such as cowboys or mavs game just dont accept any X or pool rides and wait it out for an SUV or XL ride at a nice surge.. youll get the hang of it. good luck!

3. Darkhawk

Darkhawk Member

Yeah I think I still may do it and start handing out business cards to the real black/suv clients. I dont believe there is an acceptance rate requirement so I guess I could just ignore the lower tier requests.

4. SoCalRed

SoCalRed New Member

Dback2004 likes this.
  5. Darkhawk

Darkhawk Member

That's weird when I was talking to the customer support folks here recently they told me that as a SUV driver i would be able to set up a profile that would be Select/Black/SUV only. Hope that is still the case, looking forward to meeting folks who want Black/SUV drivers in order to build my own clientele

6. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    I'm warning you right now...

Uber has said this in other markets, let it go on for a while... then the following happens.

1. Your car can get declassified off Black/SUV without warning and then you can only do X/XL with it. (This has happened in a lot of markets)
    2. Uber goes back on letting you do only Select/Black/SUV and starts forcing you to Take X for a fraction of the rate. (This has happened in a lot of markets)
    3. Uber does away with black/SUV entirely and downgrades you to Select WITHOUT WARNING. And you have been handed a massive rate cut. (This is what happened in Orlando in less than a year of black/SUV being around.)

My honest advice is to stick with lower end cars and not upgrade to a more expensive car.

7. Darkhawk

Darkhawk Member

I'm starting to see that they seem to be pretty flaky huh. Just wanted to make clear that the decision to upgrade our vehicle was not Uber driven my wife even admitted to me that we screwed up not buying the Suburban back in 2014 instead of that damned Traverse! That being said the vehicle is purchased, we got a good deal on a very taken care of used Yukon XL and this vehicle is our family vehicle I don't need Uber to pay for it and quite frankly don't need to be doing rideshare.

Originally I wanted to do it part time since my daughter and I both needed to get surgery two weeks ago and instead of cramping down on our expenses I decided to make Uber/Lyft a means to take care of those medical bills and use it to fund some of our other projects. I kind of have a skewed opinion on what my operating cost are because I see a lot of folks taking depreciation into account and every single penny and come up with $0.80 per mile operating cost and here in Dallas the pre-commission rate for uberx is $0.85. I personally am accounting a value to all the miles I wouldn't of driven and making an operating cost of that because I'm gonna have the vehicle cost regardless because we wanted to have that vehicle for our family.

That being said I did in fact say "hey if we're gonna do this lets go black on black so that I can try to do SUV/Black" but you can bet your butt in this Texas heat this summer that I'm gonna wrap that whole thing in ceramic window tint and keep those AC seats going lol.

I may fall flat on my face or succeed gracefully! I look forward to seeing what this does and at the end of the day if the profits aren't there hopefully there are good times and lessons learned!

8. azndriver87

azndriver87 Well-Known Member

contact your city first to see if they ARE looking for new uber black/suv driver. DC haven't been looking for one in couple years.

9. Darkhawk

Darkhawk Member

Really? Weird, I haven't visited the hub about it since I wanted to have everything together but I was told via the customer service mails that DFW is still accepting applicants. How is the market in DC? I went to high school down in Woodbridge,VA!

10. azndriver87

azndriver87 Well-Known Member

saturdated

11. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Travis also said in his infamous video that they are reducing the numbers for Black/SUV as well as replacing it with LUX, which has happened in select markets.

Are you also prepared for the increase costs of full commercial insurance? SUV tends to be even higher than Sedans for Commercial insurance as well, I've heard of upwards for $5000 a year premiums.

12. Darkhawk

Darkhawk Member

Hopefully people can pipe in if I got screwed but I sat down with my local State Farm agent and he drafted me a Business Insurance Policy that he said would cover me for whenever I'm actually working with it may it be empty or with pax. Because it's a personal vehicle and it'll have 50% or less use for Uber the rate was pretty cheap from what I've been seeing it ended up being $149 a month for $1 mil coverage.

This policy only covers me while I'm working with the car and is separate from my personal insurance with USAA when I'm not working so when its combined with the $180 it costs to insure the Yukon and my truck a month it still doesn't seem like a bad deal to me. With the potential income that can be had.

13. picknyourseat

picknyourseat Active Member

Driving:
    Livery
    In my state, in order to drive Uber Black/SUV you need a full commercial livery insurance policy. The policy that you purchased from State Farm is most likely not that. As steveK2016steveK2016 said, the full commercial policy is very expensive.

Typically, the Black/SUV drivers are all full timers, (and by full timers, I mean 60+ hours per week).

That $40k+Yukon you purchased is way too nice to drive around for regular Uber XL rates in my opinion. Weekend surge is going to be your new best friend!

Good luck.

14. Darkhawk

Darkhawk Member

Oh I'm definitely not gonna do that if it doesn't work out I'll stick to Uber Select/Lyft Premier.

I'll have to go to the Hub and talk with them, not sure what the difference is besides the costs since I looked and my coverage amounts are the same. I was straight up with the agent and he verified that the policy he drafted will not only cover me when driving for Uber but if I'm driving my own clients on the side I'm covered as well. State Farm calls their commercial insurance "Small Business Auto" but it is commercial insurance, not sure if it varies to vastly by state but the uber customer service folks said all I needed was commercial insurance and a valid normal registration so apparently I won't need to get like for hire plates/loan/registration. We will see, end of the day I love driving that thing and believe it or not I got it for under 40! it had close to 40,000 miles on it though but it was in great shape. Looking forward to using it for our road trips to Missouri!

15. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    If they are saying you are covered for $1kk then they are quoting you for full commercial, but make sure that policy also includes collision and comprehension not just liability. You want to have your $40k vehicle replaced and injuries to you accounted for too in an event of an accident.

16. Darkhawk

Darkhawk Member

Yeah I honestly was totally shocked originally it was $125 a month for just $300k and I knew that the city of Dallas had minimum limits for insurance so I ask for them to bump it up to $750k and that was only $140 a month and $1 mil is $149! Funny enough that is only with a $500 deductible for collision and comprehensive coverage. I'm not sure if I'm cheaper because I live outside of all the big towns?

From what the agent was saying State Farm is working to make newer types of commercial insurance for folks that aren't full time drivers.

17. picknyourseat

picknyourseat Active Member

Driving:
    Livery
    If you do not have an insurance Accord, you probably do not have the proper commercial insurance.

18. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    More information I didn't have... This is all probobly a good sign for you.
    1. you don't NEED this income to live off.
    2. you bought it used, in good condition
    3. your just doing this for side money

What i didn't want to hear from you..

"we just leased a brand new 2017 Yukon XL"
    "I'm quitting my day job"
    "I got a good deal for this vehicle from Uber Xchange"

And just so you know.. the lowest uberX rates in the country are 60C a mile 45C a mile to the driver.

Since you can afford the Yukon without uber.. there's honestly no harm in trying.

Darkhawk likes this.
  19. Darkhawk

Darkhawk Member

Yeah I understand why some folks go all crazy with their math in regards on what they have to make in order to make a profit but I don't think them and myself will ever agree. I love this Yukon and will have it regardless of my driving status, that being the case I only really factor in ALL the fuel I use, via mileage tracking, to ubering/during/and after. On maintenance I may be selective and slowly figure out the percentage of actual uber miles vs personal miles to see what it actually costs since I am a spreadsheet ***** lol.

I look forward to trying it out, worse case I'm out a few shekels paying for that insurance. I do appreciate everyone reading and writing I've learned a lot!

20. SoCalRed

SoCalRed New Member

Worst case "tomorrow is going to be a better day" and after two years your $50K SUV now with over 100K miles is worth $10k
    Best of luck. Keep us posted.