Post Ohio Unemployment news & your filing experiences here

CIncinnatiDriver

Many of us want to know when we'll be able to file for Ohio Unemployment
and will have questions along the way about how to file, fill things out, and keep up with claims etc.

Post your Ohio Unemployment news AND your filing experiences here.

To get us started:

3/29/2020
The Lt. Gov. said on a radio program that Dewine had signed off on all 5 pieces of the new federal law on Friday granting us UI. HOWEVER, he said that people couldn't apply yet. I suppose they need to set up the systems.

- - - - - - - -

On 4/3/2020, from http://jfs.ohio.gov/ouio/CoronavirusAndUI.stm

Question 12:When will independent contractors be able to take advantage of the new unemployment laws? My finance is a hair stylist who works for herself and hasn’t been able to collect any money in 3+ weeks.

Answer: The new federal Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) program will provide up to 39 weeks of benefits to self-employed workers, 1099 tax filers, and some other individuals who previously were not eligible for unemployment benefits. The benefit amount will be similar to traditional unemployment benefits, plus an additional $600. The program’s effective date is Jan. 27 through Dec. 31.

This is a new program, which we look forward to implementing. Like other states, Ohio is waiting for further guidance from the U.S. Department of Labor on how to operationalize it. Once it is up and running, retroactive benefits will be provided. We will share more information as soon as we have it.

Rosalita

1099, self employed, and gig workers need to keep calling making noise. Government employees at all levels continue to receive full paychecks, perks, and pensions. W-2 workers have already filed. They're extending food assistance for March and April for recipients. But when we ask about the unemployment filing for us it's "crickets." Call the COVID-19 HOTLINE where some very nice people will write down your concern and pass it to the right people. If we don't make noise, we don't get ours!

1-833-427-5634 It's toll free.

jrich6234

Any updates on when we will be able to apply on-line for the Ohio UI? Thanks
Ohio pre-registration started 4/24/2020 (I don't know about Indiana or Kentucky).
Taking applications sometime between 4/24 and 4/30 (those who [pre-register are to be notified by email).
If you already have an active claim for unemployment (approved and currently paying out), they are supposed to move your current claim over to PUA (Pandemic Unemployment Assistance).

Be prepared to go it alone - you can't get through to anyone by phone and the live chat function on the website is ONLY to reset your PIN code (password) to login. They won't talk to you about your claim and don't have access to your application. You can try calling but my experience AFTER attempting to call 56 times has been that they are refusing to answer calls due to the sheer volume of people trying to call. And when you go to the unemployment website (https://unemployment.ohio.gov) be prepared to be redirected to the new website https://unemploymenthelp.ohio.gov) EVERY time, even after you file your claim.

If you have successfully filed your claim, then answer YES to the question "Have you previously filed an unemployment claim" and NO to the question "Was your previous unemployment application rejected?" to get to the login page without answering the pre-registration questions each time you log in.

Register as soon as possible - even if it's only the pre-registration. Total number of weeks you can be approved for is 39 (26 regular + 13 PUA), The extra $600 is will expire on July 25, 2020 and is only good for 13 weeks unless extended - and yes, everyone will qualify for the extra $600 even if you're not self-employed or 1099 earnings.. Benefit weeks run Sunday to Saturday so if you register after May 2, you could lose a week if your claim isn't backdated prior to 4/26/2020.

Be prepared to submit proof of earnings (paystub and/or direct deposits) for the period 1/1/2019 to 3/31/2020. Use your gross earnings (not net) and you have to have earned at least $269 per week and worked at least 20 weeks during the earnings period.

CIncinnatiDriver

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ohio pre-registration started 4/24/2020 (I don't know about Indiana or Kentucky).
Taking applications sometime between 4/24 and 4/30 (those who [pre-register are to be notified by email).
If you already have an active claim for unemployment (approved and currently paying out), they are supposed to move your current claim over to PUA (Pandemic Unemployment Assistance).

Be prepared to go it alone - you can't get through to anyone by phone and the live chat function on the website is ONLY to reset your PIN code (password) to login. They won't talk to you about your claim and don't have access to your application. You can try calling but my experience AFTER attempting to call 56 times has been that they are refusing to answer calls due to the sheer volume of people trying to call. And when you go to the unemployment website (https://unemployment.ohio.gov) be prepared to be redirected to the new website https://unemploymenthelp.ohio.gov) EVERY time, even after you file your claim.

If you have successfully filed your claim, then answer YES to the question "Have you previously filed an unemployment claim" and NO to the question "Was your previous unemployment application rejected?" to get to the login page without answering the pre-registration questions each time you log in.

Register as soon as possible - even if it's only the pre-registration. Total number of weeks you can be approved for is 39 (26 regular + 13 PUA), The extra $600 is will expire on July 25, 2020 and is only good for 13 weeks unless extended - and yes, everyone will qualify for the extra $600 even if you're not self-employed or 1099 earnings.. Benefit weeks run Sunday to Saturday so if you register after May 2, you could lose a week if your claim isn't backdated prior to 4/26/2020.

Be prepared to submit proof of earnings (paystub and/or direct deposits) for the period 1/1/2019 to 3/31/2020. Use your gross earnings (not net) and you have to have earned at least $269 per week and worked at least 20 weeks during the earnings period.

I'm confused.
I thought we were able to file as 1099 workers NOW, and get REGULAR unemployment benefits now, before any PUA / Pandemic money would come through.

But when I go to register for UI, the Ohio site asks if 1099...
When I answer YES, it directs me to Pre-registration for PUA ..i.e. NOT letting me apply for regular unemployment.
What's up with that?

Should I say 'no' that I'm not 1099 (Which isn't true...) so that I can file regular unemployment to get that part started ? Would that even work? has anyone done that ?

jrich6234

I'm confused.
I thought we were able to file as 1099 workers NOW, and get REGULAR unemployment benefits now, before any PUA / Pandemic money would come through.

But when I go to register for UI, the Ohio site asks if 1099...
When I answer YES, it directs me to Pre-registration for PUA ..i.e. NOT letting me apply for regular unemployment.
What's up with that?

Should I say 'no' that I'm not 1099 (Which isn't true...) so that I can file regular unemployment to get that part started ? Would that even work? has anyone done that ?
Short answer = NO (Do not file a regular claim - file PUA claim once the application process begins).

Reason - if you file a regular claim, self-employed claimants are NOT eligible (this includes 1099 wage earners). If you file in the regular claims system, you will be required to supply proof of wages and they have 21 days to review. You will be denied and if you file a timely appeal - they can sit on your claim for 28 days. You have now spent seven weeks dealing with a broken system that doesn’t care about you.

Hang tight just a little longer and file a PUA claim only to bypass the bulls***. You still have to send in proof of earnings as stated previously but at least your claim will be processed properly. And make sure you put in the original date you stopped working (you can use any date prior to the date you file but claims for PUA (Pandemic Unemployment Assistance) in Ohio will use 2/20/2020 as the earliest allowed for calculating the extra $600 for self-employed claims.

Ohio has stated they hope to go live with accepting claims by May 5, 2020 but don’t hold your breath. Follow @OhioJFS on Twitter to keep up with the shiny happy load of crap they’re promising.

BTW - yes, someone has tried (and failed) filing a regular claim...me.

Last edited:

Funny how different states are handling the PUA process. Here in AZ we needed to file for regular unemployment, in order to get ourselves established in their systems and show a beginning date for filing. And file weekly thereafter, I have 7 weeks filed. BUT yes we have all been classified as Monetarily Ineligible, because no employer has made any premium payments in our names.

Today though, AZ is mailing out $350 million in minimum PUA payments. And starting tomorrow, we can submit 1099's etc to establish eligibility for ongoing and higher payment levels going forward.

I think every state's UI systems basically dictated how they needed to deal with PUA. Here they finally gave up integrating it, and hired an outside tech co to set up a new system for PUA. At least the money starts moving today.

jrich6234

Short answer = NO (Do not file a regular claim - file PUA claim once the application process begins).

Reason - if you file a regular claim, self-employed claimants are NOT eligible (this includes 1099 wage earners). If you file in the regular claims system, you will be required to supply proof of wages and they have 21 days to review. You will be denied and if you file a timely appeal - they can sit on your claim for 28 days. You have now spent seven weeks dealing with a broken system that doesn’t care about you.

Hang tight just a little longer and file a PUA claim only to bypass the bulls***. You still have to send in proof of earnings as stated previously but at least your claim will be processed properly. And make sure you put in the original date you stopped working (you can use any date prior to the date you file but claims for PUA (Pandemic Unemployment Assistance) in Ohio will use 2/20/2020 as the earliest allowed for calculating the extra $600 for self-employed claims.

Ohio has stated they hope to go live with accepting claims by May 5, 2020 but don’t hold your breath. Follow @OhioJFS on Twitter to keep up with the shiny happy load of crap they’re promising.

BTW - yes, someone has tried (and failed) filing a regular claim...me.
Ohio PUA website is up and running as of May 12 so for those needing to file for Ohio Pandemic Unemployment - go to it.
Now here's the fine print....

When you file, the application will ask you to upload your 2019 tax return...if you DON'T have access to it or have not filed one yet, you will be given the state minimum weekly benefit of $189 and you will get the $600 per week paid as a separate benefit (but you don't need to file another application to get it).

If you don't have a 2019 tax return - use your 1099 or pay stubs but you have to break your earnings out by quarter:

Jan 1 - Mar 31
Apr 1 - Jun 30
Jul 1 - Sep 30
Oct 1 - Dec 31

You must have at LEAST 26 weeks of work out of 52 AND YOU MUST average at least $269 per week for all of your weeks worked so...

Let's say you worked 26 weeks -

26 x $269 = $6994 (always use GROSS earnings NOT net earnings.)

If you worked less than 26 out of 52 weeks you may get a denial for not enough weeks worked UNLESS you made more than $6994.

Also (and this is VERY IMPORTANT) - your weekly claims WON'T start until you request your benefit payment. This is NOT how regular unemployment works as your claims will automatically appear on your screen when your application is complete. For Pandemic Unemployment, your claims won't appear until you manually click on "Request Benefit Payments".

Good luck. Start by going here - https://pua.unemployment.ohio.gov/Claimant/Core/Login.ASPX

NOTE: If you registered for regular benefits - your current claim WILL NOT be automatically carried forward to the new site no matter what lies ODJFS told (or tells) you. So if this is your first time visiting the PUA website - click on "Start New Application".

BTW - the system is offline right now (as of 4:37 p.m. Sunday and the message board says it will be offline for maintenance from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m.)