Post in this thread if you've been approved for unemployment insurance for Uber or Lyft

Surfy

Curious was this for rideshare and/or delivery by chance? Able to work and choosing not to, actually lost a job, or reduced opportunity/business?
Yes it was for ride share only. On the application I reported self employed as the employer and ride share driver for the occupation. Stopped driving as I’m in a high risk group and our governor ordered all high risk residents to stay home. Never spent this much time at home but at least my lawn is looking pretty good.

GIGorJOB

Yes it was for ride share only. On the application I reported self employed as the employer and ride share driver for the occupation. Stopped driving as I’m in a high risk group and our governor ordered all high risk residents to stay home. Never spent this much time at home but at least my lawn is looking pretty good.
Appreciate it and that sounds good to me, stay safe. Best thing is you might be able to just start back up or even claim partial while things takes time to rebound. Anything you could share on the work search requirements there.

Curious if one claims unemployment now but starting from last month do you think you need to make up all those work searches for the past weeks or at all?

NicFit

Do I have to Deactivate UBER DRIVER?
How can find UBER Supervisor name ?
No don’t deactivate Uber, use your name, your the independent contractor that makes all the decisions. I think your filling it out wrong, you are not an employee for Uber

_Tron_

How do you know when you’re approved? I filled out the info but haven’t heard anything.
In CA you get emailed a confirmation code that you are registered. Use that to login to the same website and can view your status. Here is what I see when I logon...

1586603572600.png

LOKB8624

I work part-time as a W-2 employee but also have been working Lyft (part-time) as supplemental income. Before I got my part-time job, I was working Lyft full-time.

As a California resident, do I qualify for any kind of unemployment benefits due to the lack of business from lyft due to the Coronavirus?

Hornplayer

On April 2, 2020, I filed for unemployment online (EDD office in Calif). The reason I listed was that I was an Uber/Lyft driver, and coronavirus (and Gov. Newsom's order to practice social distancing) made it impossible for me to take a stranger into my car and give them a ride.

On April 13 (today), got a paper letter from EDD. Looks like the ordinary form they send an unemployed person every two weeks, asking:
1. Were you too sick or injured to work, these two weeks?
2. Was there any reason (other than sickness or injury) that you could not have accepted full-time work each workday?

...and half a dozen other such questions.

I was unemployed once about 8 years ago (laid off) for about 10 weeks before I got another job. I applied for Unemployment back then too, and they would mail me a form just like this one, every two weeks. I'd fill it out and mail it back every two weeks, and the unemployment check would come regularly, about a week after I sent each form back.

Haven't actually seen a check from them yet. But it's looking better and better.

nj9000

What's been everyone's "reason that best describes your job separation"? Half the answers seem like traps meant to deny your application?

I want to select "Lack of Work/Lay Off/Downsizing/Position Eliminated: " and then "Employer temporarily laid me off because of COVID-19" or
"Still working with my employer" and then "My employer reduced my hours due to COVID-19" or "I only work as needed" in the drop-down list.

nj9000

Lack of business due to Covid-19 and health risks associated with driving
So I'm about to select the option "I quit/resigned" and "Due to risk of exposure to COVID-19". That's most accurate, but quitting/resigning disqualifies you for unemployment, no?

The other options are kinda lies. "Lack of Work/Lay Off/Downsizing/Position Eliminated: " and "Employer temporarily laid me off due to COVID-19" or "Employer will not let me return to work because of COVID-19". My account is still active.

WNYuber

So I'm about to select the option "I quit/resigned" and "Due to risk of exposure to COVID-19". That's most accurate, but quitting/resigning disqualifies you for unemployment, no?

The other options are kinda lies. "Lack of Work/Lay Off/Downsizing/Position Eliminated: " and "Employer temporarily laid me off due to COVID-19" or "Employer will not let me return to work because of COVID-19". My account is still active.
I think I selected "lack of work"...which is true because things really dried up with nobody going anywhere

nj9000

How would you guys answer these questions:

**WARNING: FAILURE TO ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS TRUTHFULLY WILL RESULT IN CRIMINAL PROSECUTION. **

Give the name of the person who told you that you were laid off due to lack of work.*:

Person's title*:

What date were you told you were laid off?*:

What did your employer say caused the lack of work? Enter what you were told, even if you disagree with it. Give details.*:

The governor Brian Kemp closed everything down with quarantine and a shelter in place order. Should I just list him?
Post automatically merged:

Edit: I'm saying myself then. Its not like it won't be truthful. If I say the governor it opens it up for disagreement.

Last edited:

Jst1dreamr

I work part-time as a W-2 employee but also have been working Lyft (part-time) as supplemental income. Before I got my part-time job, I was working Lyft full-time.

As a California resident, do I qualify for any kind of unemployment benefits due to the lack of business from lyft due to the Coronavirus?
Not if you have another job. If your W-2 job also was on hold or cut your hours way down then you would qualify for unemployment in California. Any income you receive is deducted from the amount you receive from UI. If you are not straight forward up front it is fraud and you can bet they will catch it.

Last edited by a moderator:

NicFit

I finally got my letter back from them, I made $0.00 in w-2 income so I get $0.00. Now to figure out what to do, going to call them tomorrow 😵