Possible LAPD Sting at Universal Metro Station

Can't say for certain but this had all the telltale signs of a BS sting.

At about 6pm I was dropping off a rider at the Universal Metro Red Line Station. The rider asked me to drop her off on the street outside the station where there were at least two Ubers dropping off or picking up their passengers.

When my rider got out, a young-ish guy approached the rear door of my car and asked my exiting rider, "Is this Uber?"

She responded "Yep" and then (thankfully) closed my door.

The guy then walked right up to my car waving his arms at me like he was in some urgent situation and reached for the door handle.

Before he could open my door I hit the gas and drove off.

I briefly saw him looking un-fazed and then immediately started talking on the phone as if he was already connected to a call.

I was worried I was going to quickly be pulled over by waiting rent-a-cops. That didn't happen.

About ten minutes later I coincidentally had to drive by the station on my way to pick up a new rider and and I looked that the same spot and saw the same guy standing there.

Even if this was just some idiot who had no idea of the concept of Uber, which I think is highly unlikely, this is just a reminder to us all if anyone approaches us as we're dropping of a rider, LOCK THE DOORS AND HAUL ASS. I've read too many stories of people approaching drivers in their cars acting all desperate asking for "help" with the app and then immediately getting arrested by waiting cops for breaking ride-hailing laws, even if the driver told them they can't accept non-app riders.

According to KPCC, the taxi industry pays LAPD $800,000 a year to @@@@ you up ...
Uber, Lyft drivers nabbed in LAPD stings funded by taxi industry

Bpr2

Group of underagers tried the same thing to me at redondo pier and when I asked their ages they looked back in confusion to an adult male and he did the *dont look at me!* thing. I drove off.

Travis -k

Can't say for certain but this had all the telltale signs of a BS sting.

At about 6pm I was dropping off a rider at the Universal Metro Red Line Station. The rider asked me to drop her off on the street outside the station where there were at least two Ubers dropping off or picking up their passengers.

When my rider got out, a young-ish guy approached the rear door of my car and asked my exiting rider, "Is this Uber?"

She responded "Yep" and then (thankfully) closed my door.

The guy then walked right up to my car waving his arms at me like he was in some urgent situation and reached for the door handle.

Before he could open my door I hit the gas and drove off.

I briefly saw him looking un-fazed and then immediately started talking on the phone as if he was already connected to a call.

I was worried I was going to quickly be pulled over by waiting rent-a-cops. That didn't happen.

About ten minutes later I coincidentally had to drive by the station on my way to pick up a new rider and and I looked that the same spot and saw the same guy standing there.

Even if this was just some idiot who had no idea of the concept of Uber, which I think is highly unlikely, this is just a reminder to us all if anyone approaches us as we're dropping of a rider, LOCK THE DOORS AND HAUL ASS. I've read too many stories of people approaching drivers in their cars acting all desperate asking for "help" with the app and then immediately getting arrested by waiting cops for breaking ride-hailing laws, even if the driver told them they can't accept non-app riders.

According to KPCC, the taxi industry pays LAPD $800,000 a year to &%[email protected]!* you up ...
Uber, Lyft drivers nabbed in LAPD stings funded by taxi industry
Just for YFI rent a cops have no authority to pull you over or stop you they actually don't have the authority to detain you.

iheartuber

Same thing happened to me tonight.

Dropped a pax off at a restaurant, a random guy opened my door and says "I need to go to shutters hotel how much would that be?"

I said "not sure, the price goes up and down."

He goes "can you take me?"

I said "just order an uber from the uber app"

He goes " I don't have the uber app"

I said "just download it right now. It will take you 2 minutes. Ok byeeeee!"

Don't fall for it-- it's a trap!

Last edited:

ArtVandelay

Driver4Cats - maybe not a sting . The metro redline had a problem at Hollywood and highland. So all trains stopped at universal station. Bunch of people suddenly without transportation. Picked up a 2.2x to LA Live.

iheartuber

Driver4Cats - maybe not a sting . The metro redline had a problem at Hollywood and highland. So all trains stopped at universal station. Bunch of people suddenly without transportation. Picked up a 2.2x to LA Live.

This is 2017.

If you don't have the uber app or at the very least know that you can install it and get up and running in literally 5 minutes then you are either the dumbest person on earth or an undercover cop

Spanky

Last week. I had a guy approach my car at LAX after my drop off. He said he had a handicap lady and need to get to another terminal. How much would it cost. I told him sorry you need to order on app and drove off.

iheartuber

oh sh*t. I took a cash ride to echo park from universal last night. we can't do that i guess?
Someone didn't watch those instructional videos!

It's against the law to do that bruh

We are only legally allowed to accept rides that were given to us by the app, which in turn were put there by a person who ordered it thru the app.

Anything else and we are cab drivers subject to the laws and regulations cab drivers must follow

Adieu

This is 2017.

If you don't have the uber app or at the very least know that you can install it and get up and running in literally 5 minutes then you are either the dumbest person on earth or an undercover cop
Youd think so...

Tried getting it on my moms phone for when she went on some cruise with gazillion stops in various cities....eventually had to complete signup on a desktop, mobile app was absolutely impossible to register thru

oh sh*t. I took a cash ride to echo park from universal last night. we can't do that i guess?
This is California.

Breathing is probably a misdemeanor too.

Pretty sure the only thing legal in Cali is legit weed... Which as far as i know doesnt really exist yet

kimchibreath

Youd think so...

Tried getting it on my moms phone for when she went on some cruise with gazillion stops in various cities....eventually had to complete signup on a desktop, mobile app was absolutely impossible to register thru

This is California.

Breathing is probably a misdemeanor too.

Pretty sure the only thing legal in Cali is legit weed... Which as far as i know doesnt really exist yet
Blazing one right now bro.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is 2017.

That's why I'm leaning towards sting. This was a 20-something millennial guy, not grandpa trying to use a hand-phone-thingy. Just by the demographic he was probably 1000 times more tech-savvy than me and would know how to use the Uber app.

SoccerDad23

Group of underagers tried the same thing to me at redondo pier and when I asked their ages they looked back in confusion to an adult male and he did the *dont look at me!* thing. I drove off.
Scary. Nothing like cops exploiting kids to enact their stings.

UberLaLa

There were Uber drivers standing all around down on the grass last night @ Rosebowl before the Metalica thing ended. A late twenty-something guy walks up to my drivers window. I pretty much figured it was another driver. Jabbed the button and the window rolls down. How much for a ride? He asks.

I responded, You know we can't give rides off app, it would be a $1k fine, tow of my car and possible arrest.

He gives me a suppressed smirk and walks away looking for another victim. Noticed in my rear view another guy following him at a distance...Other guy must have been standing in my blindspot, but close enough to hear and be a witness if necessary.

IUBERYoU

What's the consequence for picking up an undercover cop in a sting op? Besides getting arrested and impound the car for 30 days what are all the consequences?