1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Popped My Cherry

Discussion in 'Raleigh-Durham' started by thebeardedgent, Oct 11, 2015.

1. thebeardedgent

thebeardedgent

Driving:
    UberX
    So this past Friday I popped my Uber Driver cherry. And boy let me tell you it was great. I got a late start but made 37.90 off 8 trips. Had a couple buy me food, my last fare the girl was so drunk she began to fight her friend. I was only about 10 feet where I picked them up. Put the car in reverse and dropped them off and canceled the trip. Drove for about 2.5 hours. Only got one surge fare.

Does anyone have any tips....planning to drive Oct 16-18. My goal is about $150 over three days.

Attached Files:

HonkyTonkWoman likes this.
  2. I find that I actually make my best money driving 6-11pm. Seems those are often long rides & the after midnight rides are very short ones most of the time.

I'm surprised to hear you'll be driving during the strike. Or surprised you're saying that openly.

I'll be driving for lyft only during the strike

3. thebeardedgent

thebeardedgent

Driving:
    UberX
    Yes, I am going to be driving during the "strike". I have my view on this so called strike and have asked for input from people with no good feedback in return. If you have a fill time job and you haven't strikes or protested there then why do it with uber.

Thanks for the input. This will be a part time thing so that's why I drive those hours. Aslo a lot of people have said that a the best time for this market. But I'm always open for suggestions since I have only driven once. Have you drove during or from a hockey game at PNC?

4. Your at $15 an hour before fuel so its about 12 an hour. If you do this 4 nights a week then that's an extra $100 a week which is pretty decent for your neck of the woods. NC is a great state. Been there about 2 years total for business.

Start noting where the best fares come from, if possible and start refusing fares if they are more than 10 minutes away.(Depends on where you start and how often you get fares.) If unsure, take a night to kill and refuse a couple that are far away and see if you get some closer then you can get a feel for how much business there is.

Work at getting $20 per hour before fuel costs.

Don't forget to do a little set aside. It doesn't have to be a lot. Maybe $20 per week for repairs.

In cooler months, turn off car and and sit until you get a fare.

Don't kill your car. Remember, 4 people in a car plus you can get up to a half ton. So if you're getting a lot of 4 pass jobs, up you're set aside to $30 per week and expect new brakes every 4 to 6 months.

Watch out for negative gain. If you start finding that after your weekly set aside, the left over money starts to feel like you're getting screwed, re-think things.

thebeardedgent likes this.
  5. thebeardedgent

thebeardedgent

Driving:
    UberX
    Thanks for the input. I'm not sure how much gas per mile my car gets. So I tan my car out to e and just filled it up. I plan to see how much I can get out the tank into its on e again. I didn't drive into the heart of the surge because it was so many people ie. Uber drivers, taxis, normal bar go ers. Into the surge was high. But thanks for the input

6. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis

Driving:
    UberX
    "Made" $37.90? Define made...because I don't know what you mean by that.

7. thebeardedgent

thebeardedgent

Driving:
    UberX
    Well there was a attachment with my original post. My fares equal to 37.90 after I had a adjustment made.

8. uberwoman

uberwoman

Don't forget Uber's take (20 percent), gas, wear and tear of car(stop & go; turn car on/off, etc), and the 2-3 hours of sleep time you lost that night! Not worth it! I'll give you one to two months!!! I just drive when there is good enough surge

9. Disgusted Driver

Disgusted Driver

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I'm generally pretty nice to new people in the area who are trying to get by. I think I might have even posted a word or two of encouragement to you about getting started but I have to say, I hope you get a ticket or something. To come on here driving for a day, and then come right out and say you are going to scab and screw us, while you ask for help??? FU. You have no idea what you are doing, you "made" 37.90? The hell you did. Your car doesn't run on pixie dust ace, run it into the ground and then see how much you like Ubering.

uberwoman likes this.
  10. Calculate your cost per mile for your vehicle.

This website can help you do that (there are others you can Google - try a few & take an average) :
    http://artofbeingcheap.com/calculator/

Think about the movement patterns of people. Where people are going at different times of day and from different areas. I drive a lot of people to/from work around 4-6pm. People go out for the evening 6-9pm - from suburbs to shopping areas. Malls are closing around 9 - people leave malls around that time & go home. Movies end at 9 & 11ish.

There is a lot more driving opportunities then just home from the bars. And those opportunities will often be easier pickups, easier pax & longer rides than home from the bars.

Pick a few different blocks of time in different areas and compare your profits.

To calculate your profits, take your earnings (after Uber's cut) and then subtract your per mile costs. Remember to track your mileage from the time you have the ap on, till it is off. I keep a mileage log book in my car - you can use sherpa share & other such methods too. Take your total mileage, multiply by your total cost per mile & subtract that from your earnings. That's your profit. You can then start to see when/where your most profitable days/hours/areas are.

With your costs per mile - some are incurred immediately as you are driving & some are deferred till later. Gas/car washes/food & drink you consume during your shift... are all immediate costs whereas depreciation/maintenance are deferred. It is wise to set aside the part of your earnings equal to your deferred costs in a savings account for when you have to repair/replace your vehicle.

11. And no, I haven't done pickups/dropoffs for hockey games at PNC. The drop offs are probably good and profitable if your starting in the suburbs just like dropoffs to most events.

Pickups are probably better than the football games, but traffic can easily eat away at your profits.

12. You could also hamg out in chapel hill when they start doing free rides for the students. I'm sure you will stay very busy all weekend driving students around.

13. uberwoman

uberwoman

We were all fooled into Uber's smoke show (false advertisements)! Give him time to see our disappointments! In the meanwhile, new victims will take the bait and the cycle will continue. We need this strike, if only for media attention! Uber needs to know that we deserve better rates and treatment!

14. thebeardedgent

thebeardedgent

Driving:
    UberX
    Lls go play in traffic, your mad at me because I'm planning to drive. I'm sorry I wasn't here when you was "rolling" in the big cash with Uber. I'm doing this for extra cash and to get out the house. Is it profitable for me...not sure since I have only driven ONE night. But once I driven more I will be able to see if I'm turning a profit. If not then it's gone. I still have a full time job that pays me well.

What I don't understand is if your so unhappy and feel like it's a waste why do it? It blows my mind that people are ranting about how the pay is low but I don't see you wanting to strike to help the people in fast food who are making just enough to get by. Your mad at Uber because they want to profitable. Next time your in the store buying some fruit....say to yourself " Did the person who picked this get paid fairly?"

Going on strike does what in the first place.....? You have a great day and Uber On! Lls

15. I've been protesting with the Moral Monday/Forward Together movement for years.

I care about living wages for all. I care about education, immigration, health care & criminal justice issues. I'm a hippy dippy bleeding heart liberal Lutheran who is very committed to social justice. I've worn myself & my 'love thy neighbor' sign out trying to make life better in NC.

I'd be at this Friday's protest except I need to take my daughter to confirmation camp down in Wilmington during that time period.

But I'll support the strike by keeping the uber app off all weekend. And I'll continue to raise awareness of the unethical business practices of uber. I'll continue to encourage others to use lyft instead of Uber whenever possible.

Word of mouth is a powerful force. Social media is a great way to spread a message about why uber sucks.

But you've got to spread it from the pax's perspective - uber on boards drivers sight unseen here and lyft actually does in person screening of drivers. Pax care a lot about that.

16. thebeardedgent

thebeardedgent

Driving:
    UberX
    A victim to what? How long have you driven for Uber? Most arecent striking because someone is telling them it's a good idea

17. thebeardedgent

thebeardedgent

Driving:
    UberX
    My hat goes off to you. You are maybe the second person is active is trying to make a better place for all people not just themselves. That's the point I'm trying to make but some people don't care.

18. UberNorthStar

UberNorthStar

Driving:
    UberX
    Hi, thebeardedgentthebeardedgent.

Welcome to the forum!

Please read your Partnership Agreement. (Clickyour "Profile" on Dashboard Uber PartnerWebsite. Click "Legal".)

New Drivers have 30 Days to Opt-out of Binding Arbitration.<---- Click for more info.

Lag Monkey and chi1cabby like this.
  19. uberwoman

uberwoman

We can't vocalize how we feel to our customers without fear of being deactivated!! Our rating hold us back from speaking the truth about Uber. Protesting/striking will gain us media and public attention! I've talked to many drivers and everyone is on board for the 16th! For those of you (ie) thebeardedgent), who don't quite understand, fall back!!! Watch us while we fight for our rights!!!! Go back and read, "Lag monkey" $$$ posts till now! He learned through time, car problems, and over draft bank transactions! The newbies will learn and maybe join

Lag Monkey likes this.
  20. Disgusted Driver

Disgusted Driver

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I've been driving for over a year and have seen the decline. Most of this doesn't really affect me because I drive select but I still believe it's immoral for Uber to make you take short trips where you make $2.40 and they get $2.40 while you supply the car, labor and the risk if something bad happens. Their advertising is misleading, they have you fooled, they use the word make to indicate revenue before expenses, fooling new drivers who are desperate to make a living or have some control over the schedule. Then they treat you like crap whenever there is a problem, easier to throw you away and get a new one than have some loyalty to their alleged partners.

So, I'm taking the weekend off to support all the X drivers in the hopes that it makes Uber better for all of us.