• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Pope Surge Thread

Inshur

Ihtz_Ali

This thread would be used for any surges during Pope visit in NYC from 24rd Sept to 26th. Will the surge go up to 5x?

Buisest day of the year upcoming after New Years!

ubernyc

You must be hearing bull shit cuz nobody made shit during the New Years... Fake surges/no surges at all due to thousands of drivers on the road

You believe anything one says?

Reactions: Red

Dax

I went online after midnight. It was over 6x. However, I was getting pings from the Bronx, 25 mins away, no surge... Crazy. I just went to sleep.

Ihtz_Ali

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh wow, so hopefully it surges this week. High expectations its gonna be a nightmare

Tesh

with all these new drivers on the road everyday it would be a surprise if surges go over 2x

Dax

I'm not very positive about this week. Even if it surges, it's going to be impossible to move around the city, plus it's very easy to get traffic tickets. Be very careful out there. The cops are surging 8x :wink:

Engineer

I'm not very positive about this week. Even if it surges, it's going to be impossible to move around the city, plus it's very easy to get traffic tickets. Be very careful out there. The cops are surging 8x :wink:
Cops are occupied with mostly on security. No one cares about your lane change without signal because it's such a waste of time to write a ticket. Traffic will be hectic, tough.

One thing you should note is, his visit also coincides with Islamic holiday, Eid-ul Adha. Most of us will not work in the morning rush. For those who do not observe, don't be surprised to see 2.8x everywhere in Manhattan on Thursday morning.

Ubermanpt

In DC it's dead and not surging. Media scared everyone from going downtown and told them to stay off the streets. Add ubers email that demand will be sky high and all these drivers out there, you get the usual uber flop

Ihtz_Ali

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
In DC it's dead and not surging. Media scared everyone from going downtown and told them to stay off the streets. Add ubers email that demand will be sky high and all these drivers out there, you get the usual uber flop
Wow what a bust.

Mayor warning everyone here in NYC as well to stay off the roads.

Hopefully its not gonna be a bust.

Brandon26pdx

I'm not working today because of pope madness. Yesterday was fine. Traffic was even a little light during PM rush if it wasn't my imagination.

MissUberM

Today was almost as good as yesterday, some nice surge in the morning, not as much as yesterday, but good enough. There was absolutely no traffic anywhere, thanks to all you guys who stayed home today :smiles:

The_One

Today was almost as good as yesterday, some nice surge in the morning, not as much as yesterday, but good enough. There was absolutely no traffic anywhere, thanks to all you guys who stayed home today :smiles:
I am sure you made a killing, now you can retire, lol. I remember the good old days when uberx was $12, not $8 "a 35% cut, which is insane, which is your overhead costs" also with 15,000 more uberx cars on the road then before , all you new guys have no idea that you are getting shafted, heck even with the surges it does not come close to what we used to make without the surges, not even close. Pings used to come in non stop, 8-10 hours work with real good returns, you couldn't wait to go out, which is not the case anymore. I tell that to new drivers I meet and they have that I want to cry look on their face.
That 35% cut is no laughing matter, for every $1000 gross a week, take away $350 from that, which if you multiply it by 52 weeks is close to $13,000 a year after Uber's cut, that's not chump change, that's your overhead costs plus some, can you make that back, of course you can, if you sleep in your car.

Last edited:

MissUberM

I am sure you made a killing, now you can retire, lol. I remember the good old days when uberx was $12, not $8 "a 35% cut, which is insane, which is your overhead costs" also with 15,000 more uberx cars on the road then before , all you new guys have no idea that you are getting shafted, heck even with the surges it does not come close to what we used to make without the surges, not even close. Pings used to come in non stop, 8-10 hours work with real good returns, you couldn't wait to go out, which is not the case anymore. I tell that to new drivers I meet and they have that I want to cry look on their face.
That 35% cut is no laughing matter, for every $1000 gross a week, take away $350 from that, which if you multiply it by 52 weeks is close to $13,000 a year after Uber's cut, that's not chump change, that's your overhead costs plus some, can you make that back, of course you can, if you sleep in your car.
Yea, yea, the good old days, when the sun was brighter and the grass was cheaper... I mean greener...

I'm not a veteran, but not a newbie either. No, I wasn't ubering in the golden days, but I've been doing this for a year now, and days like these are a beautiful break from having to put in long hours in traffic to make my goal. I made my $$ fast and easy for a change, so let me enjoy it, before reality hits again on monday.