Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Poolers are pretty dumb

1K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  disp350 
#1 ·
I think there should be a notification that pops up for them so they know that other people can sometimes pool with them instead of them yelling at me because their cheap ass can't just get an X like any other smart minded individual. But whatever I just let Uber know that if I get a 1 star because of that Drunk idiot that hopefully it can be revoked, like don't shoot the messenger I'm doing my job. Every time I decide to do a pool I get major cheapos, is there a way you can opt out or am I just gonna have to drop my acceptance rate?

#4 ·
I agree that Uber needs to better explain the difference. Its like if you walk into a store and see 2 stacks of the same item, one says $10.00 and the other says $6.00, you're gonna choose the $6.00 one. Most riders have no clue of the difference between Pool and X - all they see is a lower priced ride so they choose that. I dont like it either, but unlike a lot of other drivers, I dont take it out on the riders. I simple turn on Stop New Requests which just about guarantees that Uber will either have to subsidize the ride or just plain loose money. They want to charge a lower fare - thats on Uber, not me.

#7 ·
I agree that Uber needs to better explain the difference. Its like if you walk into a store and see 2 stacks of the same item, one says $10.00 and the other says $6.00, you're gonna choose the $6.00 one. Most riders have no clue of the difference between Pool and X - all they see is a lower priced ride so they choose that. I dont like it either, but unlike a lot of other drivers, I dont take it out on the riders. I simple turn on Stop New Requests which just about guarantees that Uber will either have to subsidize the ride or just plain lose money. They want to charge a lower fare - thats on Uber, not me.
Like most drivers I don't usually accept pool unless I'm trying to complete a quest for a decent bonus. But like you just said, I don't necessarily blame the pax for taking pool. I've checked the rider app and seen the pool rate as much as 60% cheaper than x rates. Now... any driver that says they wouldn't at least consider using pool to save 50-60% is full of s*#t. Uber is the problem because the drivers time & mileage rate needs to be at LEAST 30-40% higher and as long as Uber is going to charge whatever they fell like charging under the upfront pricing scheme then that should be the only thing their entitled to and they should NOT be taking an additional 25% from the drivers time & mileage rate. Pool rides should pay the same rates and the driver should should get paid for cancelation of ANY pax that cancels, NOT just the first pax. As far as the upfront pricing goes. My only problem with certain pax is the ones who will choose pool just to save $1, those are the cheap a**es I hate.

#5 ·
I turn on Stop New Requests and go the longest route. I tell them that they chose Pool so I have to detour to pick someone else up. Then I pick a random place to stop and wait. Then I call a phone number that always goes to voicemail and say "looks like they're not answering the phone". Then leave after a minute.
It justifies me taking a longer route and shows them that Pool doesn't wait.

#13 ·
I turn on Stop New Requests and go the longest route. I tell them that they chose Pool so I have to detour to pick someone else up. Then I pick a random place to stop and wait. Then I call a phone number that always goes to voicemail and say "looks like they're not answering the phone". Then leave after a minute.
It justifies me taking a longer route and shows them that Pool doesn't wait.
Does the rider app show the other pick up?

#11 ·
Please don't give cheapo shitheel pax an UberX ride for bus fare prices; you are contributing to the entitlement of the assholes who then expect that every time.

Make those idiotic humans feel like the disgusting sardines they are and force them to sit stuffed into that car like tetrus pieces, ideally with each of them giving off a different nose clenching aroma. They're insulting you and too pathetic to pay already incredibly low X rates and should ALWAYS have to be as uncomfortable as possible if they're going to pay what is essentially bus fare. They are bottom-of-the-barrel shitheels and should never be treated as anything but that.

Don't give those cheap losers X rides for bus fare prices- this causes entitlement and anger when they then take REAL pool rides - force them to feel like the sardine shitheel humans they really are.

If you're desperate enough to accept pool rides, do pool rides. If you have any self respect just pass on pool pings. You're paid next to nothing for Pool - why do something so demeaning?
Another brilliant reply. Lets blame and take it out on the passengers because of Ubers mistakes with pools. Since maybe 1% of all Uber driver might read these forums, how to you propose to get other drivers to agree to your amazing advice? I dont care if Uber charges the customers less, thats on them, not me. I get paid almost the same amount for Pool as I do for X rides and it seems most of the Pool rides have been farther then the X rides. My way of dealing with it is not to allow a second pickup to be forced on me when doing a Pool ride. Until such time Uber decides to change that, I will continue to accept Pools and not count my earnings til the end of my shift.

#12 ·
Do you have the ability to think logically? Clearly I already know that answer and I'm just pretending I don't. What you're doing is ****ing all of your fellow drivers over and giving cheap, pathetic pool pax a free ride - literally and figuratively. Pool pay is sooooo low- it's laughable and frankly it's embarrassing and insulting- and while you're doing a solid for shitty pax who deserve the exact opposite, you're also bending other drivers over and giving it to them up the rear when those other drivers decide to pick up Pathetic Poolers who will then expect another X ride, then get annoyed and rate poorly (and forget about a potential tip) when that next driver does what he's supposed to do and goes to pickup a second pax.

So, for some reason you're rewarding cheap losers and punishing other drivers, whose asses you should at the very least NOT be reaming.

Let me guess - you're between the ages of 20-34, entitled, selfish, always received awards even when you lost the competition, and had a mommy and daddy who wanted to be your friends and not your parents? SELFISH MILLENNIAL ALERT, perhaps?

You keep doing what works only for YOU; you're probably someone who orders Pool when you need a ride. *Smh*

You're the reason I'm terrified for our country's future - I gotta be honest.

No.
They CHOSE POOL..
pick up street bums.

NEVER GIVE THEM AN X RIDE FOR POOL PRICES

BETTER YET - DONT DO POOL
Thank you for being a voice of reason and experience; for reasons I can't fathom, some drivers like to give almost-free X rides to the bottom of the barrel pax where they make close to no money. Poolers think they're getting X rides in the future and alas: a new, shittier paxmonster is created.

#15 ·
I've always said pool doesn't bother me because of the small pay difference. The reduced pool rate plus the .95c pickup fee usually nets close to an UberX ride, and because of this the extra money that pax pay for UberX will just go to Uber. I also don't care that the pax pay less if my pay isn't significantly affected. I also don't mind it with a large surge because of the potential for the ride distance to increase. Even better with a power zone (Lyft) because they will pay for long rides at base while you get the bonus. Plus each pickup is worth $2-3 extra depending on what quest you get. Because of this their cheapness does not make a big difference moneywise.

The biggest problem with pool is the quality of pax, and it's not just that they are cheap. They are less personable, are less likely to appreciate good service, and many will just stare at their phone the whole time. Then there's the annoying part of being a bus driver, and making detours. I can't put up with all that at base rate, but it is not that big of a deal with a good boost or surge.

#16 ·
I had one passenger yesterday I could tell was a little ticked off. He asked for a Pool ride and I had already 1 passenger with me. He was running late for an appointment. I apologized but had to follow the rules.....he said "it isn't your fault, I picked a ride and the driver canceled it after 7 mins. and then you drove around the parking lot a couple of times". It ticked me off because he was standing on the side of the MAJOR road (close to Levi Stadium). I got him to his destination safely and in time....and no tip!

I just wish they would would charge a flat rate for a 0 - 10 mile pool. I took a UberPool rider to San Jose Airport today and it was a $12.80 for the 16 mile trip. I then headed back to close to where I picked him up and got another ride...this time a UberX rider to San Jose Airport....that trip $14.92....I know it wasn't a lot of difference, but it was 6:00 in the morning.

I turn on Stop New Requests
Where is that located on the app?. Is it just sliding off the "online" slider?

#17 ·
I had one passenger yesterday I could tell was a little ticked off. He asked for a Pool ride and I had already 1 passenger with me. He was running late for an appointment. I apologized but had to follow the rules.....he said "it isn't your fault, I picked a ride and the driver canceled it after 7 mins. and then you drove around the parking lot a couple of times". It ticked me off because he was standing on the side of the MAJOR road (close to Levi Stadium). I got him to his destination safely and in time....and no tip!

I just wish they would would charge a flat rate for a 0 - 10 mile pool. I took a UberPool rider to San Jose Airport today and it was a $12.80 for the 16 mile trip. I then headed back to close to where I picked him up and got another ride...this time a UberX rider to San Jose Airport....that trip $14.92....I know it wasn't a lot of difference, but it was 6:00 in the morning.

Where is that located on the app?. Is it just sliding off the "online" slider?
Click on the upper right corner to see the trip details. Then scroll down to the bottom and you should see an option to "stop new requests". After you end the trip it will ask you if you'd like to stay online

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.