Pool timeouts make the news...

4aseason

Great piece. Here's an excerpt:

"True independent contractors have the freedom to decide when they want to work and what kind of work they want to do," said Benjamin Sachs, a Harvard Law School professor. "By giving drivers timeouts, Uber is exercising the kind of control over its workforce that employers exercise over employees."

tohunt4me

Great piece. Here's an excerpt:

"True independent contractors have the freedom to decide when they want to work and what kind of work they want to do," said Benjamin Sachs, a Harvard Law School professor. "By giving drivers timeouts, Uber is exercising the kind of control over its workforce that employers exercise over employees."
That's right !

Uber wants all the benefits of employee's WITH NONE OF THE RESPONSIBILITY !

Jayanderson

On Tuesday 12 pool rejection and three timeouts later I finally accepted a pool to Allington during rush hour. An hr later = $8 with boost.

drexl_s

Harvard prof is a hack. Contractors have choice/freedom to accept assignments, but they still have to follow guidelines set by the people that hired them. When I hire a contractor to work on my house, I tell them the hours they need to work and when I expect the job to be done. At my work, we hire a ton of contractors, and do you think they can do whatever they want? And none of them are considered employees. My god people, you complain about being a contractor without benefits, you would kill yourself if you really were an employee of uber.

Archie8616

Well, Uber just changed the way UberPool works. Now you no longer have a choice of accepting the UberPool request or not. Its now automatically added to your trip. Just got the notification of this yesterday. I guess drivers have been ignoring the ping sound, and just driving with the customer that is already in their car, and not going to the next customer. I would tell your customer to make sure that if they are not happy about having to go pick up someone else that they don't even know, to voice their concerns on a feed back. The customers word is stronger than the drivers, since it's the customer that they truly are catering to.

Well, I'm glad I have both apps, I'll be turning off Uber for awhile and just driving Lyft till this gets all figured out. I'm sure this is going to come to a law suite somewhere.

drexl_s

Hey, Alex Rosenblat. I Love UberPool. Now you have one driver for your list of who love uberpool.

Another Uber Driver

On Tuesday 12 pool rejection and three timeouts later I finally accepted a pool to Allington during rush hour. An hr later = $8 with boost.
What was the trip's origin?

Contractors have choice/freedom to accept assignments,
That is it, right there. As an independent contractor, it is my privilege to accept or decline a job. As a contractor, I will accept or decline a job depending on several factors. Number one, is of course, profitability. Other factors are convenience, availability of other work. This list is by no means complete. I am not going to accept a job if I must make more effort to complete it than it is worth, I am not going to accept a job if it does not pay me enough. I am not going to accept the low paying job that requires a large amount of effort if there is another low paying job that requires less effort or there are better paying jobs.

Well, Uber just changed the way UberPool works. Now you no longer have a choice of accepting the UberPool request or not. Its now automatically added to your trip.
Still, you can decline the initial POOL request. If you accept the first one, you are signed on for whatever the application tells you to do. If I accept a
U-POOL, as I fetch every customer, I warn him that the program simply adds the trips and I must go get them. I have no option to accept or reject. This means, of course, that they might be taken far out of their way. If they do not like it, they can exit the vehicle, cancel then summon a different level of Uber. I have seen some pretty crazy deviations on U-Pool. Back in the Zone days of the cabs, when a dispatcher gave you a double or triple like that, we used to call them "Chinese doubles".

drexl_s

Particle In A Box
It keeps me busy and uber is right, I do make more money with uberpool. Also, it is awesome for rider counts on incentives and no dead miles on picking up pax. Sure I have occasional terrible pax, but I also have them on uberx. Best way I handle uberpool, I tell everyone that comes inside, you chose uberpool, I will pick up other riders and it will take longer to get to your destination, is that ok with you? And almost everyone agrees, one guy was pissed, but did not want to cancel, no worries, one star rating.

stuber

Harvard prof is a hack. Contractors have choice/freedom to accept assignments, but they still have to follow guidelines set by the people that hired them. When I hire a contractor to work on my house, I tell them the hours they need to work and when I expect the job to be done. At my work, we hire a ton of contractors, and do you think they can do whatever they want? And none of them are considered employees. My god people, you complain about being a contractor without benefits, you would kill yourself if you really were an employee of uber.
Not exactly. If you, the driver, had the authority to to accept or reject trips without penalties, then you could be expected to comply with certain rules set by Uber. But that's not the case.

Uber is not a open and transparent marketplace, like say, eBay.

drexl_s

stuber

I think you and everyone else misunderstands "assignment". A ride is not the assignment, it is when you click "online." Once you click online, you now have to fulfil your agreement with uber, the freedom of choice is when you get to slide that switch from off to on and on to off; which is even greater flexibility for contractors than most have in other business.

Jayanderson

It's different because uber isn't paying me an up front fee to provide a service. I have to go out and earn my payment from a third party who isn't uber. So what right do they have telling me who to pick up??